• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this normal for a Sons of Liberty Gun Works Upper?

Aztec68

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2022
Louisiana
Greetings all.

So, I bought a stripped SOLGW upper and parts and put it together myself. I've built several AR's before so I don't think it's an experience issue, but I've never built one with such tight tolerances as this SOLGW. The AR is 80% SOLGW parts (barrel, gas block, upper, lower, rail, charging handle) and I used a upper receiver block with bolt insert in a vice when installing the barrel so I don't believe I crushed it

My question is: The BCG (I've tried two different ones) feels like it's VERY tight when manually cycling it. It moves but feels like it's dragging a little and when I look, I see that it' taken some of the finish off of the top sides of the BCG.

I haven't had a chance to take it to the range so I don't know if it will affect operation but it just seems like there is some resistance when cycling both BCGs. One BCG is a Cross Machine Tool and the other is a custom PSA BCG. I've manually cycled the BCG a few dozen times and it "seems" to have alleviated the resistance felt somewhat.. do I just need to take it out and shoot it awhile to "break it in" so to speak? Are SOLGW uppers typically that tight?

My other AR (Black Rain Ordnance billet upper and lower) cycles both BCG's with no drag at all and feels like it's gliding vs when they are in the SOLGW upper.

Thanks for your consideration.

Could be a out of spec upper. Check the wall thickness.

One of the pre assembly checks that can be done is checking that the bolt carrier slides freely in the receiver

Thank you for your reply. It was helpful. So I took out the charging handle and bcg, and the I checked to see if the carrier slides freely and it does, I also noticed that there was wear on the charging handle and upon inspection, it seems that the charging handle is what is causing the drag. Without the charging handle, I can put the barrel facing down and just drop the BCG in and it glides along with no issues. I will try another charging handle and see if it is any better.

Reactions: dmcfarland
I bought an assembled 13.7 from SOLGW, and it’s very tight outta the box. I just oiled her up and started shooting, and no issues so far. Still tight but getting better

Reactions: Aztec68
OP - Is the CH one manufactured by SOLGW? Can you post pics of where your CH is worn down the most? Can you see any wear inside the receiver?

Apparently you boys haven't experienced the awesomeness that is: Radical Firearms. My brother, fucking cheapskate, wanted to buy his first AR several years ago. RF had some cheaper rifles out, they were relatively new back then. He asked me about them, but I had no input because I had never handled one of their rifles.

Fast forward to "unboxing day." He calls me to ask if metal shaving falling out of the rifle was normal. LOL!! Poor bastard. The BCG was rubbing against the inner-left wall of the receiver, which produced these aluminum shavings. I went by his house later that day. When I separated the receivers, it was a fucking party! A Radical Firearms upper receiver confetti party! It was bad.

I thought there would be a couple shavings here and there...I was dead wrong, that shit was everywhere.

Radical's response to my brother was that this occurrence was a normal procedure and was needed for "breaking in" the rifle. Whatta fucking joke. They forced him to pay the shipping back to them so they could "fix" it, so that's what he did. About two weeks later he got it back. They did fuck all with that rifle. Not only did they give him the same upper, but it continued to created shavings on top of it. It took those clowns one rotation of playing "Radical Firearms can fix this" before my brother demanded his money back.

Being the outstanding company that they are, they required him to again pay for the shipping back to them. Fortunately for my brother, they did give his money back.

With it being SOLGW I would dump some 10w30 in it and shoot the piss out of it. It’ll wear in.

Or call then in the morning and they will swap it or ask you to send your parts in.

So after adding copious amounts of lubricant, the situation seems to have rectified itself. The BCG and charging handle are gliding along as easily as they do in my other AR with hand cycling. I've included pics of the wear patterns both inside my receiver and the charging handle and BCG just in case you guys can identify something that should concern me.

Attachments

• 20230731_103311.jpg
    20230731_103311.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230731_103111.jpg
    20230731_103111.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 20230731_103143.jpg
    20230731_103143.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20230731_103222.jpg
    20230731_103222.jpg