• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Is this normal for a suppressor?

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
I took my new AAC Ti-rant can out today for the first time and now when I shake it small black flakes come out. It's not burnt powder, but I'm not really sure what it is? Is this normal? I was shooting Copper plated bullets, and the manual only mentioned exposed lead being a no-no. My second question is do people use Hollow points in a suppressor? The manual clearly states you shouldn't use any ammo with exposed lead?

I had the same thing happen in my new Octane. I couldn't really tell what it was from. I checked for any strikes and nada. I also shoot plated bullets. But as I've shot it more, it doesn't seem to happen much anymore.

I would guess carbon fouling that is flaking off after cooling? But heck I'm not an engineer - I just know at some point you need to clean them - so there must be stuff that accumulates in there. I don't have enough rounds down mine to feel like its time to clean...

Update....I took it apart and there are no baffle strikes, everything looked ok on the inside. Some of the pieces seemed to be metal as they were pretty sharp. I do have a taper crimp on the bullets however I would think that the rifling would be mess up the plated copper more then crimp? I feel better now that I took it apart, but if anyone has any ideas let me know. For now I'm going to stop shooting plated bullets. The only reason I was using them was I couldn't find FMJ anywhere

If you are getting flakes of metal you are crimping your bullets way too much. I shoot exclusively plated bullets out of my pistols to keep costs down as there's not the mess of shooting cast bullets. I have no issues shooting plated bullets with the cans and any of my pistols. Re-evaluate your crimping if you think that is the source. Make sure you are not loading your plated bullets hot also, they generally shoot better on the lower side hence on of the reasons why you use data for cast bullets with plated rounds. I'm sure you have used the plated bullets fine in the past, however it sounds like the issue went unnoticed until you had the can.

HP is fine. they are saying dont shoot lead bullets since most non 22lr cans are sealed. your tirant is take apart so you should be fine even if you wanted to shoot lead.

Thanks for the help so far guys....Here is the update...I removed my crimp on the plated bullets and still had the issue. I tried 124 FMJ supersonic and the problem seemed to have gotten worse. Most of the "stuff" seems to be flaked carbon, but with only 250 rounds total through the can I wouldn't expect that much to be falling out already. I tried calling AAC but hung up after waiting 15min.

Siso,

Time to take a deep breath.

If it is powder carbon the reason why it is getting worse is the FMJ pressures are actually cleaning out all the crap that did not make it out of can from the prior crimp rounds.
If it is powder carbon, and you do not see shiny spots on any baffle or the end cap, you can move on to the next of life's problems as you are done.

The barrel is not creating this, nor the can, its the propellant.
Next hard Wisconsin winter's day, shoot across fresh snow without the can and the same effect should be revealed.

After a hard day of shooting, if you stand your rifle can-up and bump it, you just dusted your bolt face with carbon flecks... Lots of carbon flecks.

Just wanted to give an update in case any one else gets worried about the same thing. I cleaned my can really well and bought 100 rds of factory 147 gr. With the factory ammo it seemed to get less crap in the can, with all of it being carbon and no metal. I finally got my 147 fmj bullets in so I won't be using the plated bullets going forward.

Is this normal for a suppressor?

Have you ever seen a .338BA brake after 400 rounds with the suppressor on? You can barely remove the can from over the carbon. Scrub the outside of the brake and carry on.

Don't worry if every now and then your can makes a funny noise and expels some carbon around the front of the opening. No baffle strikes, no worries.

Same with pistol cans.

5" isn't enough to burn all the propellent. Even SMGs at 8-9"s don't burn it all. At 12" all would be burned, but this is unreasonable length for most operators.

5" isn't enough to burn all the propellent. Even SMGs at 8-9"s don't burn it all. At 12" all would be burned, but this is unreasonable length for most operators.
I am an operator, and some would say that 12" is not an unreasonable length in my case.

.... Sorry, VJJ, normally your purview.

Last edited:

So you prefer 12"? :rolleyes:
I wonder what Diameter? :p
LOL!

Nice try, but you might want to read that again, and this time without giving in to your own fantasies.

And I am not an operator any more, because I don't operate now despite having operated as a part of operations. I do still run a mean telephone switchboard, though.

Last edited: