• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this normal when forming 6mm SLR brass?

evilsvt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2005
college station, TX
I'm having a 6mm SLR built right now and decided to run a couple of pieces of brass through the sizing die to get an idea but the brass comes out with a "wavy" shoulder. The shoulder isn't perfectly flat and I can feel/see some high spots. I'm running winchester brass and redding Type S bushing die and imperial sizing lube.

Is this normal?

Mine doesn't.

What is your datum length before and after sizing, and what lube are you using?

ETA: Just saw you are using imperial, which works well. Be sure you're not overapplying lube. Yes, the neck/shoulder needs good coverage, but doesn't require a lot.

Last edited:
Mine doesn't either. Can you shoot a picture of what exactly the fired brass looks like so we can see exactly the issue. It should come out clean and sharp.

xdeano

here's the brass

brass.jpg

I tried with and without the neck bushing, i've tried it with the die adjusted at all depths

ive been playing withe sizing die and to get the shoulder to form sharply I have to crank the die down to the point where it's bulgeing the around the shoulder/body juncture

Maybe try aerosol spray lube like One Shot. I seem to do much better at not over lubing with One Shot. Guys here on the HIDE got me onto it, and I haven't dented a shoulder since. . . . fyi, I chronically had case shoulder denting issues as well as barely noticeable wavy shoulders. Thank god those days are gone.

That looks like @$$.

Wish I could be more helpful...but either your die is FUBAR or you're fucking it up.

Here is a pic of 243win, 6.5slr and 7slr. Not fired in an SLR chamber yet, just sized and bullet seated:

the dies have to be fubared, the only way to get the shoulder to form is to set the die past it touching the shell holder which is causing a ring to form around the shoulder/body. I've tried it with the bushing, no bushing, expander ball, no expander ball

Your pic is hard to discern.

Here is the extreme of what I had going on. Is this kind of what you have going on?

here is another pic

the case on the left is with the die adjusted down to the shell holder on my co-ax and you'll see the shoulder isn't quite perfect. The right case is with the die adjusted down past touching the shell holder but the shoulder is correct but there is a ring around the body/shoulder juncture.

brass2.jpg

That slight ring around the shoulder/body junction is fine. It will blow out and it wont hurt a thing including load development. I had that happen on several of my remington 243 brass ehen forming the slr. No problems there. Just make sure they fit the.chamber and go shoot.
Xdeano

Anyone have a SLR reamer I can borrow?

My 6MM barrel should arrive within the next couple of weeks.

The ring below the shoulder seems to be caused by a combination of inadequate lubrication and cycling the press too fast.

I also got those, but stopped once I began actuating the press more slowly and smoothly.

thank you for the tip. what are you doing for neck sizing? I don't want to have to reset my die everytime. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying another fl die and set it up for neck sizing