• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this normal?

mheimer_45

Life’s tougher if your stupid
Minuteman
May 19, 2013
NW Kansas
This is a round that was just unchambered from my truck gun. Been sitting 8-10 days anywhere from 0 to 75 degrees. Rifle is suppressed with a stainless criterion barrel. I’m sure the rapid heating/cooling doesn’t help at all. Any way better to help keep my barrel from corroding. I’m sure in at night out in day is an obvious answer but it’s calving season and rifle wears a thermal.

Attachments

• 7BB27B6F-3C82-488A-8BDF-B4B06EA27435.jpeg
    7BB27B6F-3C82-488A-8BDF-B4B06EA27435.jpeg
    855.2 KB · Views: 172
I would definitely say it's probably normal for what it is. It appears that somehow moisture got introduced possibly through heating and cooling (or vice versa).

I would try to find a way to combat that if you are going to leave things in the car forever.

If you use nickle cased ammo for that application it will help.

None the less at least you are now aware of the potential problems.

A brass case problem common to both the tropics and extreme cold weather.

The moisture caused by condensation on your brass case and bullet in the chamber is the culprit. Check your chamber as well -- stainless doesn't mean rust-proof.

In the tropics the guideline is to wipe cartridges dry, especially after a drenching rain. For cold weather, dry the cartridge and keep the rifle outside. Bringing it in to a warm home or tent, then outside again is going to cause condensation to collect and give what you've pictured. If you're worried about someone walking away with it, lock it in a rack or locker in your truck.

What do the rounds in the magazine look like?
Rounds in the mag look brand new. Ammo is ADI 55gr blitzking.

Yea my concern too is the moisture in and on the rifle……
What moisture? It’s the middle of winter in western Ks and less than 15% humidity. The only time the gun warms up is when I’m running the pickup with the heater on.

Like I said the rifle stays in the truck wedged between the front seats. Only gets warm from heater in the pickup. I suppose unracking the round after use would help. I guess I was more asking if it was moisture or carbon from the back pressure. My top couple of rounds in the mag are always discolored from the carbon.

Also barrel is brand newish from CLE, less than 50 rounds. How can I combat this issue? Do I need to bring it in every week or sooner and reoil the barrel? Run a brush regardless to remove the corrosion? Barrel hasn’t been cleaned since install but it will be getting cleaned today after seeing that. If I find anything interesting I’ll keep you posted.

You have 15% humidity? Well, that rifle dips down to about 0 at night and then you rapidly heat the truck to something livable when you get into it in the morning. The gun, however, stays cold. You, being a human, begin to introduce humidity into the cab from breathing. The cold gun allows condensation to form, even though the relative humidity in the environment is low(ish). Ever notice condensation/fog forming on the windshield in the morning? The same thing is happening to your rifle.

How to combat it? Well, you could not run the heater and keep the windows down so that you don't create a humid environment...

A brass case problem common to both the tropics and extreme cold weather.

The moisture caused by condensation on your brass case and bullet in the chamber is the culprit. Check your chamber as well -- stainless doesn't mean rust-proof.

In the tropics the guideline is to wipe cartridges dry, especially after a drenching rain. For cold weather, dry the cartridge and keep the rifle outside. Bringing it in to a warm home or tent, then outside again is going to cause condensation to collect and give what you've pictured. If you're worried about someone walking away with it, lock it in a rack or locker in your truck.
Yup.

If the rifle is inside a car (staying inside the car) then when he gets in on a cold/hot day and turns on the heater or A/C it will cause condensation as well.

The windows of a car fog up for a reason.

Reactions: sinister
You made a good catch and have received some great opinions. Your other farm equipment is no different than your rifle. Engines on your tractors, balers, 4 wheelers will all pick up some moisture / corrosion. I run additives in my equipment during the winter just for that reason.

Best of luck with the calving.

Be very careful with oiling barrel and chamber. It can affect pressure and POI.
Here is what I do on my daily carry rifle.
I keep an AR TYPE chamber brush on a short rod. On any day I shoot, (most days) even one round I run the brush into the chamber a few times, put a clean dry patch on and patch out once. I oil up a round and wipe all off with back side of clean patch. Put lightly oiled and wiped round into mag. I chamber a round first thing in morning.
Pretty much eliminates issues. Not bad once it’s routine.

You have 15% humidity? Well, that rifle dips down to about 0 at night and then you rapidly heat the truck to something livable when you get into it in the morning. The gun, however, stays cold. You, being a human, begin to introduce humidity into the cab from breathing. The cold gun allows condensation to form, even though the relative humidity in the environment is low(ish). Ever notice condensation/fog forming on the windshield in the morning? The same thing is happening to your rifle.

How to combat it? Well, you could not run the heater and keep the windows down so that you don't create a humid environment...

Actually you make a valid point. Heater is on 5-10 during the morning to clear ice then the rest of the day the window is normally down. I’m running thermals, jeans, sweatshirts, insulated gloves, stocking hat, and a carhartt coat. All day every day. I don’t like going from hot to cold. Also probably the only guy you know that keeps his house at 62* in the winter. No sense in taking multiple layers off to come inside just to put them back on in 2 hours.

And on a side note a cow is a great animal to have a convo with. They don’t whine bitch talk back or complain about them being fat. All they want is food and they don’t care what kind of food it is. You can call the cranky bitch a cranky bitch straight to her face and she won’t try to kill you until she calves.

I would advise to keep the gun sealed well. Put it in the truck somewhere far away from you.
Your car is probably quite moist during winter, you bring water (snow) in on your boots and then use the heater to melt it.
On top of that your breath brings in moisture. The worst of all is wet or damp clothes, they do dry very quickly in the car but where does the water go... If your windows are closed, pretty much nowhere.

The heater is not a problem as it is required to keep your breath from fogging the windscreen. With good and timed air flow, you can use it to your great advantange.

I do the followings to keep my tools from rusting:
Gun:
Keep gun in a bag, it will insulate and smooth out temperature swings, this alone might do it. On top of that it reduces the AIR FLOW near the rifle because every cubic inch of air holds some water and your cold rifle collects it like it was paid to do it. Add silica bags inside your gun bag.
Car:
Kick you feet together to drop any excessive snow before taking them inside the vehicle. Remove puddles.
If you park during the day, roll windows open to let the dry air replace the moist air, just an inch wide helps a lot. I usually choose to keep the just the rear windows slightly open as they are not electric. But do close them for night if it is not very cold, as your windows freeze during the night = moisture enters back inside.
Air the car by having all doors open if you are waiting for someone.
If you use the heater, realize that the water has nowhere to go, unless you open the windows to let the moist air out, it will just suck mainly into your cushions, ready to fog your car when the temperatures drop enough outside the car.

Edit:
If your chamber is fine, then that coloring is indeed just the suppressor's fault. I have never noticed the "steam-carbon pressure washed" cartridges to be any more inaccurate than shiny ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 37L1

I agree with this post.

• Love
I would advise to keep the gun sealed well. Put it in the truck somewhere far away from you.
Your car is probably quite moist during winter, you bring water (snow) in on your boots and then use the heater to melt it.
On top of that your breath brings in moisture. The worst of all is wet or damp clothes, they do dry very quickly in the car but where does the water go... If your windows are closed, pretty much nowhere.

The heater is not a problem as it is required to keep your breath from fogging the windscreen. With good and timed air flow, you can use it to your great advantange.

I do the followings to keep my tools from rusting:
Gun:
Keep gun in a bag, it will insulate and smooth out temperature swings, this alone might do it. On top of that it reduces the AIR FLOW near the rifle because every cubic inch of air holds some water and your cold rifle collects it like it was paid to do it. Add silica bags inside your gun bag.
Car:
Kick you feet together to drop any excessive snow before taking them inside the vehicle. Remove puddles.
If you park during the day, roll windows open to let the dry air replace the moist air, just an inch wide helps a lot. I usually choose to keep the just the rear windows slightly open as they are not electric. But do close them for night if it is not very cold, as your windows freeze during the night = moisture enters back inside.
Air the car by having all doors open if you are waiting for someone.
If you use the heater, realize that the water has nowhere to go, unless you open the windows to let the moist air out, it will just suck mainly into your cushions, ready to fog your car when the temperatures drop enough outside the car.

Edit:
If your chamber is fine, then that coloring is indeed just the suppressor's fault. I have never noticed the "steam-carbon pressure washed" cartridges to be any more inaccurate than shiny ones.
This guy probably knows what he is talking about, being from Finland and all . . .