• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this normal?

CST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2002
Md
I just got a new barrel from PVA....after 40 rounds I borescoped it.
I noticed machine marks on the lands after the throat. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1703433939972.jpg
    1703433939972.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 98
  • 1703434213257.jpg
    1703434213257.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 1703434021291.jpg
    1703434021291.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 102
Accuracy has been about 1inch+ at 100 with 140american gunner, 3/4 with 140eldmatch. Nothing to write home about. I don't know how much it's me or the barrel so I'm about to try working up some loads and try again tomorrow ... I expected better but too early to tell

Only weird thing about that throat is why the entire leade doesn’t look that way.

Edit: Also looks like you spun something in the throat? Abrasive?

Only weird thing about that throat is why the entire leade doesn’t look that way.

Edit: Also looks like you spun something in the throat? Abrasive?
Nope...just used a standard nylon brush and brass jags with patches per break in instructions.... Even a brass brush or jb bore paste wouldn't cut into steel like that.

Nope...just used a standard nylon brush and brass jags with patches per break in instructions.... Even a brass brush or jb bore paste wouldn't cut into steel like that.
Jb absolutely would create a finish in the steel. No matter though. I think your barrel is fine.

It’s amazing how well rifles shot before cheap Chinese borescopes were in everyone’s hands….
They still shoot the same , nothing wrong with knowing what the bore looks like . Amazing how whiney people get over a simple tool they choose not to use .

They still shoot the same , nothing wrong with knowing what the bore looks like . Amazing how whiney people get over a simple tool they choose not to use .
So what’s your expert opinion on the OP’s pics?

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
That barrel looks top-tier compared to some of the factory shit I've seen... And that factory shit would still shoot lights-out.

Also, I wouldn't judge the rifle's accuracy capabilities with factory ammo... JMHO.

Is a borescope a simple tool, or one that causes a severe level of neuroticism in many of its users?

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
Yes, those machining marks and the very minor tool chatter in the barrel are normal. You've already managed sub-moa at 100 with factory match, so the accuracy is already there. Go shoot it.

Is a borescope a simple tool, or one that causes a severe level of neuroticism in many of its users?
Funny story about my daily work life that kind of relates to borescope threads. I work in a screw machine shop where the QC dept has a microscope to aid in checking parts (we machinists also use it to check tooling conditions, tooling alignments when more than one tool is cutting on the same feature, check our parts, etc). Now that may sound like a good idea but, letting the QC personnel, who has zero machining experience, use the microscope for part inspection has pretty much driven all of us to the edge of sanity. I liken it to handing a machine gun to a monkey. You can teach the monkey how to use the tool, but they will never understand the damage it can cause to everyone else. We spend a hell of a lot of time sorting for "defects" that cannot be seen with the naked eye nor have any affect to the form, fit, or function of the parts we are making.