• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is this ok to ask your gunsmith?

springer01

Minuteman
Dec 27, 2005
Brownfield, Texas
I feel like asking my gunsmith how my build is coming makes them feel like I am trying to rush them or bothering them. I just get curious how things are going not trying to rush them. What do you guys do? Just wait till they call and say its done or ask how things are every couple of months. I don't want to be a burden, but it is my gun and my money.

Re: Is this ok to ask your gunsmith?

The last few rifles I've had built I called every Friday past the due date. When they take the order and tell me 2 months or 2 weeks. When that time is up I call every week. I don't get rude or irritating. Just a pleasant hello and how are things going. But they have a ton of my money tied up in materials. If I didn't want the rifle I would have left the money drawing interest somewhere.

Why not ask him the exact way you just asked us? Tell him you're not trying to rush him you're just curious about the whole process is all. If you're too scared to approach your 'smith from this inquisitive angle then I would find another 'smith. What happens when it HAS been too long and you want to ask if you can't even ask when you're just curious?

I do ask them like I stated, that is where I derived the question from. I just emailed them, but still get the feeling that they might think I am trying to rush them or even burden them as they are one of the big name shops out there and I know they are busy. Just wondering what others take is on it.

To me when a time period is given, anything beyond that is reasonable grounds to make contact about the arrangement. Personally I keep my mouth shut up to that point, then politely make follow up calls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the squeaky wheel gets the grease dude. </div></div>

It sometimes gets replaced !!!!

Back on topic,biggest problem I've found is not making every detail clear.My smith allows me to supply my own parts,it keeps him from spending the time tracking them down.Other thing is communication.I supplied a Wyatts EBM,but the action I left had a single shot follower in it,his employee assumed I was going to run it as a single shot,when they called and said it was ready,guess what?Same thing happened with the bedding.Shit Happens.

Was it worth the wait?Hell yes,this rifle shoots clover leafs all day long.Not like you can get a 338 EDGE off the shelf anyway.

if they tell me a date, i call them on that date. i get a tracking number or another date. i keep it polite til its gone wrong. you gotta stay on good terms if you want follow up service. but still, stuff happens, its just a date. it would be nice if it was the actual date. but for me, im not shipping out or waiting on anything for a job or task. i plan far enough ahead to cover my ass. now if its 3 months or more, id start to ask serious questions about what is causing the delay, especially since you are supplying stuff and just using this place as labor. but anyway... give them a call, ask whats done, whats still left, sometimes you have to really s-p-e-l-l it out

just ask the smith and tell him your not trying to rush him
don't get upset if the build goes a bit over the finish date that sort of thing happen
on a build
.Dave

It happens. I don't even bother calling anymore. Randy Dierks has had my parts for 9 months now... 6 months beyond when he initially said he'd have my gun done.

Unless you have a reason to call or need to change something on your order, leave him alone til the due date. Any time spent on the phone is time away from the bench.

Yes had it for several years now, but this is not the first time they have had one of my rifles. I also didn't get the tattoo to advertise for them I just really liked the symbol and Jered said he had no problem with it.

Had to ask, its the smartass in me.....
I know you're not a recent arfcom transplant
laugh.gif

I'd bug them weekly until I got a straight answer, but I'd do it on Tuesday, not Friday or Monday. If they have all the parts its a service issue, but if they are at someone else's mercy for parts it could be a legit delay (even though such delays suck).

Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

And yeah I emailed them and got the answer I was looking for. Looks like its gonna be another couple of months, but Im sure it will be well worth it!

I dont think people should call until the due date unless they have/need information.
If a rifle is overdue, shame on the builder. But if its not due yet, why bug him?

your parts sit there on a shelf for 98% of your wait time then it gets done in a few days probably.
Rifles dont take 6 months to build. All the rifles before yours took 6 months to build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It happens. I don't even bother calling anymore. Randy Dierks has had my parts for 9 months now... 6 months beyond when he initially said he'd have my gun done. </div></div>

And your okay with this? Is there no accountability?

I understand ordering parts can take time, and the parts suppliers often dont meet their due dates and this effects the smith. However, I believe Smiths have lost all accountability. All you hear now from people is how their smith took longer than he said and f-ed up a few details. I've seen it in almost every smith I've bought a rifle from.

Of course there are the greats that do a wonderful job everytime and get it done when they say or pretty damn close. But shouldnt that be expected?

Bottom line-you want to play in this sport, you must have patience.You can call,be polite,but don't think its going to get your stick done any faster.

On the other hand-I would be suspect of any shop that has no work in front of yours.