• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this package deal a good deal???

scout1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2006
Apache County,Arizona
Well I and a friend of mine went out the other day to bust some rocks with my Remington 5R in .308. I've had this rifle for a little over two years now and have been very happy with it. Everytime this buddy of mine shoots it he wants one. So proceeded to tell him a little of its history; you know made once a year, only one wholesaler, blah blah. So now he's all lathered about buying a 5R.

Continuing on, today I get a e-mail from him at work explaining this package deal he saw and asking me if it sounded as if it was priced right. I looked it over and said that I would ask the "Hide".

Here's the package, all equipment is NEW.

Remington M-700 5R in .308

S&B PM2 3-12, illm, dual elevation knob, not sure of reticle.

Badger 34mm rings

Badger 20mm base

Galenti drag bag

Package price is $3,699.99

What do you guys think, good deal or bad? Again all gear is new.

scout1

Re: Is this package deal a good deal???

Not for me it wouldnt be! I can have a custom build and nice leupold glass for that kind of money!! Lee

I wouldn't. Those are retail prices plus some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't. Those are retail prices plus some. </div></div>

I was under the impression that retail on the rifle was $1300.00 with the street price of about $1000.00.

Also I thought the retail on the scope was about $3200.00 with a street cost of???

scout1

I don't mean MSRP. Retail to me is, the going price for a new item. I would break it down as follows:

Rifle 1000
Scope 2000-2700 depending on config
Base/Rings 300

So, about 3300-4000 total new price. It doesn't matter if something is unused, unfired, zero miles, one cannot assume to get retail for pre-owned goods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't mean MSRP. Retail to me is, the going price for a new item. I would break it down as follows:

Rifle 1000
Scope 2000-2700 depending on config
Base/Rings 300

So, about 3300-4000 total new price. It doesn't matter if something is unused, unfired, zero miles, one cannot assume to get retail for pre-owned goods. </div></div>

BALLISTIC,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm under the impression that this is a dealer putting this package together. Using all new never sold equipment. I believe that he is putting multiple packages together of this same equipment list.

Do you happen to know what the wholesale price of the scope is?

scout1

No idea on wholesale prices for anything, but usually the idea of a package is to save some money by purchasing multiple items together, and getting a discount on the sum of said parts. There seems to be no discount on said parts. The rifle and scope can be hard to find at times, but still, one should be able to do better than the price listed by getting the components one their own, but as always YMMV.

you can get a GAP barreled action for around 1500 a good hs stock for 220 a nice scope for 1000 and have more gun than that one.................... lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can get a GAP barreled action for around 1500 a good hs stock for 220 a nice scope for 1000 and have more gun than that one.................... lee </div></div>

Agreed, alot of different combo's can be purchased for that price. However the question was not what can one buy for that price but weather the price for these components was a good price or not.

scout1

I think its a pretty decent deal considering he can get the exact rifle he wants and top tier glass to boot. Hell the glass alone can be in the high 2K range. I would probobly get if I coudn't find the rifle and scope cheaper elsewhere and I doubt you could. As for a custom rifle with a leupold for the money I wouldn't consider a better option personally, a good scope that works is more important than a custom rifle. That 700 5R shoot well a custom won't be leaps and bounds better but the S&B is leaps and bounds better than any $1K scope.

I think its a fair price. It might not be the kind of deal you can't pass up but its certainly fair.

And not for nothing but the replies in this thread remind me of some of the outlandish offers one might get when selling in the "For Sale" section here on the Hide. Not everyone shares the same views as above so do a little research and see what you can find before making a decision. I suspect you'll come to the same conclusion...its fair.

I personally think it's a little high, but right around where is should be .
Not "tie your boots without bending your knees" high though.
Not like he marked it up $500-1000 either...
Top quality parts on it, for sure.

As 858 stated, it's a fair asking price.

Jack

If your friend is going for a S&B, he'd better make sure it's the exact model and configuration (reticle, adjustments) he wants.

Ouch! Price is a little high. Half the fun of precision rifles to me is; starting from scratch and picking out all equipment yourself. You could probably save a few bucks plus it would be exactly what you wanted it to be, not how you took it off their shelf. IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I and a friend of mine went out the other day to bust some rocks with my Remington 5R in .308. I've had this rifle for a little over two years now and have been very happy with it. Everytime this buddy of mine shoots it he wants one. So proceeded to tell him a little of its history; you know made once a year, only one wholesaler, blah blah. So now he's all lathered about buying a 5R.

Continuing on, today I get a e-mail from him at work explaining this package deal he saw and asking me if it sounded as if it was priced right. I looked it over and said that I would ask the "Hide".

Here's the package, all equipment is NEW.

Remington M-700 5R in .308

S&B PM2 3-12, illm, dual elevation knob, not sure of reticle.

Badger 34mm rings

Badger 20mm base

Galenti drag bag

Package price is $3,699.99

What do you guys think, good deal or bad? Again all gear is new.

scout1

Well I think my friend is going to back away from this package deal. In my opinion I think he is making the right decision. This is the rifle that he is interested in, but not the scope per say. My advice was that there are a number of very good scope's to choose from without spending that kind of coin for a S&B.

I had him read all of your comments and that helped him decide.

By the way he said he saw this add on impactguns.com if anyone wants to take a look.

Thanks,

scout1

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout1

The rifle system is pricey but looks like an excellent system overall. Your friend won't be wasting money on that purchase. I think the scope and rifle match perfectly.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/LGU-S6661217.html

Good shooting!
</div></div>

Yeah, that's what I thought. But I believe he was getting cold feet because of the price,even though he was the one who found the add. This is his first rifle of this type. I told him that I would help him out in picking up something in the Leupold MK4 price range.

I'm also doing some searching for a new Mk4 to go my GAP that's on order. So I'll scope hunt for the both of us.

Thanks for your input.

scout1

How much elevation adjustment is on that listed Schmidt and Bender- it seems that whenever I search for it, it is never listed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scout1

The rifle system is pricey but looks like an excellent system overall. Your friend won't be wasting money on that purchase. I think the scope and rifle match perfectly.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/LGU-S6661217.html

Good shooting!
</div></div>

Yeah, that's what I thought. But I believe he was getting cold feet because of the price,even though he was the one who found the add. This is his first rifle of this type. I told him that I would help him out in picking up something in the Leupold MK4 price range.

I'm also doing some searching for a new Mk4 to go my GAP that's on order. So I'll scope hunt for the both of us.

Thanks for your input.

scout1 </div></div>
both of these are scoped and ready for the range. And alot less expensive than $3,699.

on GunsAmerica: Used but set up looks good to go. Call seller and pick his brains.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/923924044/Gun...on_700_p_30.htm

on GunsAmerica: "New" with Leupold "Police scope"? Not sure about this one but call seller and pick his brains.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/986476314/Gun...Tactical_30.htm

on GunsAmerica: This sounds really nice and is in your neck of the woods. Full Custom Winchester Model 70 pre 64 stainless Tactical Rifle

http://www.gunsamerica.com/960503499/Gun...tical_Rifle.htm

He could buy a Savage and a Burris, Bushnell or Leupold tactical and probably shoot as well and have many, many $ left over to buy FGGM.