• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this powder really that good?

With powder, it's like Hodgdon and the retailer just make up any price they want nowadays. Mostly based on how popular the powder is. Larry is notorious for making up their own prices.

Alliant AR-Comp is good and in my opinion, often under recommended powder. It has been the primary propellent for 168 and 175gr .308 FGMM loads.

Reactions: RegionRat
Is AR Comp good? Absolutely! It's been a great powder, especially for 308, for a while. I've used it for probably a decade now with excellent results.

Is AR Comp THAT good? Not to me! Almost $60 a pound is insane

Midway is nuts! I haven't purchased any reloading supplies form them in about 10 years because they are always so high compared to other places. Powder Valley and MidSouth gets my money....
Sadly last time I saw AR comp at PV it wasnt much cheaper!

AR Comp is a good go to powder, but definitely not worth that price in my opinion. Ive been experimenting with other powders for 556, was I irritated / frustrated to start over with developing a load - yeah a bit but in the long run Id rather have 2 or 3 other powder options at more reasonable prices.

For several years now, it's my go-to powder for my .308. Federal is also using it in some of their premium precision ammo for .308. Its low temperature sensitivity is good, it tends to give pretty consistent throw weight due to its smaller grain size, there not a lot of copper fouling nor leave heavy carbon deposits. . . so barrels clean up nicely when using it, I get really good results on paper. So, to me, it's "that good". But, I'd hesitate in pay this price and keep an eye our for a price closer to just under $400 for 8 lbs., given current market conditions.

Last edited:
That’s a bullshit price, check out Midsouth Shooter Supply. There $300 for 8 pds. Of course there out at the moment, so that doesn’t help!

My local supplier has AR Comp for $348 and it's been sitting there for over a month.

It would be bitter to swallow a 50% increase over the last time it was available... so I would wait.
That is easy to say if you are not out of it and don't need it to stay in your game...

Agree with the above comments... yes, it is a better than average performer group/speed wise and also above average for temperature stability. It does better than average through a powder drop due to the relative grain size.
Worth a try, but not at that price.

at 502 or more a bottle nothing is that good , maybe gold bars not powder . .best of luck who am I kidding if you don't mind paying that much for powder you don't need luck .

It is a great powder for 75 ELDs in 223. Changed from RL15 bc of temp sens and availability

I got two 8# jugs for about $360 delivered 6 months ago from Bruno’s

It is a great powder for 75 ELDs in 223. Changed from RL15 bc of temp sens and availability

I got two 8# jugs for about $360 delivered 6 months ago from Bruno’s

I recently got an 8lb of Alliant Sport Pistol from them for seriously good deal. Definitely on the list of places to check for random stuff