• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this typical for McMillan?

vtran96

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
PA
Just got my A5 stock today and was all excited, wasn't expecting it until next month. I slapped on the action just to see how it fits and started to close the bolt when I notice the back side was touching the stock. Did you guys experience this with yours? I'm sure a little sanding will take care of it and may be overreacting but I wasn't expecting any interference. I'm taking it to my gunsmith tomorrow for him to bed the action, add the barrel, etc. but will contact McMillan before then.
frown.gif

stock_3.jpg

stock_5.jpg

Re: Is this typical for McMillan?

Lift the bolt handle and snap another pic.

If the handle cut out has no rear sweep, it could have been cut for a straight bolt action, like a Surgeon.

It's no big deal either way.

Seen it before with stocks from both M's. Fit her up and keep on running. Problem is with the molded in camo on the McMillian, once you get though it to give you the proper clearance, getting the paint on to match it is going to be difficult at best.

Vtran,
That stock has been cut for a straight bolt handle, not a standard Remington bolt handle. You might PM me and tell me what name it was ordered under or where you got it and I will look up the original order spec's for you. I suppect it's inletted for a Surgeon, or a Borden or a Stiller or such, but would need to check the original order.
Dick at McMillan's

Mine rubbed also, I just sanded it down alittle, also the aluminum block was loose for the adjustable cheek piece, so I had to Devcon it to the stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lift the bolt handle and snap another pic.

If the handle cut out has no rear sweep, it could have been cut for a straight bolt action, like a Surgeon.

It's no big deal either way. </div></div>

Your right, it is for a straight bolt, see added pic above. Thanks

How does the Feeding Port inlet line up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vtran,
That stock has been cut for a straight bolt handle, not a standard Remington bolt handle. You might PM me and tell me what name it was ordered under or where you got it and I will look up the original order spec's for you. I suppect it's inletted for a Surgeon, or a Borden or a Stiller or such, but would need to check the original order.
Dick at McMillan's </div></div>

PM sent. I ordered it straight from you guys. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the Feeding Port inlet line up? </div></div>

Everything else seems to line up nicely.

stock_7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtran96</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the Feeding Port inlet line up? </div></div>

stock_7.jpg
</div></div>

By looking at the last pic, it looks like the receiver is sitting just a bit too far back. Note the port location - there is more receiver "sidewall" exposed at the front of the port cut-out compared to the rear. Is the face of the receiver perfectly aligned with the recoil lug cut-out? Try to match or evenly space the receiver port to the port cut-out on the stock. Without having a barrel & lug attached or a locating pin in place to perfectly align the receiver it would be hard to find it's ultimate rest position. I'd get your barrelled action put together first and in the stock before I started to grind on it.

konabully is exactly right.

Yep, Konabully +1

My Mcmillan stock on my second build was off) by the thickness of the recoil lug. Thank god they make milling machines because when I got it back for Jered it looked perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: konabully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtran96</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the Feeding Port inlet line up? </div></div>

stock_7.jpg
</div></div>

By looking at the last pic, it looks like the receiver is sitting just a bit too far back. Note the port location - there is more receiver "sidewall" exposed at the front of the port cut-out compared to the rear. Is the face of the receiver perfectly aligned with the recoil lug cut-out? Try to match or evenly space the receiver port to the port cut-out on the stock. Without having a barrel & lug attached or a locating pin in place to perfectly align the receiver it would be hard to find it's ultimate rest position. I'd get your barrelled action put together first and in the stock before I started to grind on it. </div></div>

The face of the receiver is sitting back from the recoil lug cutout about 1/16" give or take. The receiver can't move that much forward and aft anyway because of the hold down bolts, right? I'm guessing there's maybe 1/16" play. I moved the receiver as far forward as possible and still be able to screw in the two bolts from underneath. Regardless, Dick at McMillan has already contacted me and suggested I send it back for them to correct. It shouldn't take longer than a week or two.