• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this Vintage 3x9 Redfield a military scope?

cplnorton

Private
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
Van Wert, Ohio
I was looking for a nice 3x9 scope for my target .22 at a gunshow today and I saw a Redfiend with target knobs. I've never seen one like this on a vintage redfield so I picked it up and looked at it and it had RT-6 which looks electropenciled on the bottom of the scope.

About everytime I've seen electropenciling on a scope it has something to do with the military.

What do you guys think? Here are some pics.

redfield3x9001.jpg

redfield3x9003.jpg

redfield3x9005.jpg

Re: Is this Vintage 3x9 Redfield a military scope?

Don't know if yours is one, but the first Marine M-40s came with the Redfield Accra range, had a bullet drop compensater in it.

They were 3X9. It had stadium lines reposenting 18 inches. When focused a little sign post came up telling you the range. You then dialed to that range.

The Marine scopes had a greenish oxidized finished (suppose to match the parerized finish of the rifle. Except for the finish they were exactly like the Commerical verions of the accra range scopes.

Peter Senich mentions them in his books on Vietnam era sniping, mainly "The Long-Range War, Sniping in Vietnam"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know if yours is one, but the first Marine M-40s came with the Redfield Accra range, had a bullet drop compensater in it.</div></div>

I'm pretty sure his is an Accu-Trac model not the Accu-Range. I don't believe the Accu-Trac's were ever used by the military.

Regardless, those old Redfield scopes were good scopes.

I have a Redfield Widefield 6X I put on a Remington 700 as a LE Counter/Sniper Rifle in '78. It still works, still holds its zero after years of bouncing around the back of a police car.

I even took it to Guard Drills and jumped with it.

Yours ought to be worth sticking on a rifle. It'd make a good hunting scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice old Redfield but not Military... At least not from an M40.</div></div>
+1 , not military but good honest old school scope, I have my dads and still use it on a .223wssm truck gun, bounced over 150 K miles still holds dead nuts cold bore . smoked a 60 yard armadillo last week. My calf crop has come late this year and Im having trouble with black headed buzzards trying to peck calves before moma gets thru having them...... old accu trac has worked every time out to 200...I never touch the trac feature except to make sure its clicked out to bottom.

Yes that is a curious scope, it looks like a target scope but in hunting magnification. It is not accu trac, as those scopes have the ranging reticle and the accutrac elevation knob is graduated in yards.

You could shoot an email over to Ironsite Inc. They are one of the very few Redfield Denver repair facilities. For $80 they will give it a good once over. Only thing is your scope may not come back till Christmas time http://www.ironsightinc.com/

Does the scope have writing on the the ocular bell?

No writing at all on the ocular bell.

In fact other than the 3x9 markings and the electropenciled markings, there are no markings on the scope whatesoever.