• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Is titanium suitable for an AR15 SBR?

R.O.U.S.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
WA
This is another what suppressor to get thread, and I’ve read a lot of these threads, but most people are looking for a suppressor their bolt rifle. I’m waiting for the tax stamp for a Daniel Defense 11.5” SBR (5.56), and I was looking to suppress it with a titanium suppressor first and then use the same suppressor on a 6.5 or 30 caliber bolt rifle later. I’m wondering if anyone has had experience using titanium on a sbr?
I don’t plan to mag dumps, but I would like the headroom to be able shoot a few magazines before giving a suppressor a rest.
I’ve got a list of questions, and impressions of various products, I appreciate any input that people can offer.

Thunder Beast Ultra 5 (Maybe 7 or 9)
The 11.5” barrel meets the minimum barrel length restriction for all of the Ultras. I got to hold an Ultra 5 at a local store, and the fit and finish are great. Even an Ultra 9 didn’t weigh much in the hand. I’ve seen most of the videos by the TBAC team. The Ultra 7 223 meters great at the muzzle, but not so well at the ejection port, does anyone know if the Ultra 5 meter better at the ejection port/ear on an AR-15 due to less back pressure?

I understand that you don’t go for max suppression on a 556 AR15. I always plan to wear hearing protection, so If I can get all around 140’s of dB performance I’m hoping it will let me shoot more comfortably in general.

Thunder Beast 556 Take Down
This would be 556 only, but it’s got a lot of neat features, and the all-around suppression is great. My only concerns are the weight (27oz), and that it is direct thread. How do you keep it from coming loose? Has anyone used this?

SIG SRD Ti series
Lots of cool features, but only has a small single chamber brake. How well does something like that act as a sacrificial baffle? (Would it even matter?) The QD mount doesn’t have many threads. How does that work for repeatability or concentricity? The SIG suppressors seem to go for maximum volume/ performance so even their Ti line is a little heavier compared to other companies.
Pricing also seems great, but I’m not fond of SIG as a company.

Dead Air Sandman Series
Extremely popular, hefty, and tough. I’ve read that ratcheting style QD mounts can have accuracy issues. Is that even a concern for the Dead Air series? I don’t understand why the ability to mount the suppressor underneath is considered a great feature. It feels like it would just heat up you rail even quicker.

Rugged
I love the unconditional warranty, but I think the modularity is weird on something that is supposed to be incredibly tough. People have a good impression of the Rugged mounting system, but it seems to have the same mounting steps as a SiCo ASR that seems to garner more negative opinions. What makes the Rugged system better?

What’s up with full-auto rated titanium cans?
I found a few titanium suppressors that have full auto ratings, but I’m not sure how that is possible. The most reputable manufacturers have a not to exceed 800 Fahrenheit warning. Is this just a case where some Ti suppressor companies hedge on the fact you are most likely not going to run it hard, and just warranty it if you do?

Gas port size can change the "ear dB" number by at least 8 dB, so some tuning can optimize it. You can use nordlocs to keep a 556TD in place if you need to.
Titanium is not a material for sustained high temperature applications, or applications with regular excursions above the specific working temperature. It is possible to melt baffles on a Ti can if you keep firing. Everyone has access to the same best grades of titanium and its physical properties do not change based on marketing materials.
That said, an Ultra 5, 7, 9 can take a lot more abuse than most people think. We just want to be really clear about their potential weaknesses when someone wants a lifetime of great performance out of it.
FWIW, I use an Ultra 7 (and before that a 30PS) on SBR's. Most people's rates of fire do not actually exceed the temperature envelope unless they are trying to spray rounds or maximize rate of fire on purpose.

Reactions: Bender
Sandman, saker or chrimera hands down is what I would be looking at. I run a saker on my 11.5 poi shift is very minimal in my experience with the asr mount. Have shot my buddies sandman on it too and sounds just as great. I run my saker on a 308 and 6.5 cm and love the tone

Unless you plan on doing mag dumps and shit, TBAC is where it's at. Yes, the 5" is great. Not as quiet but it has all the other attributes plus being light and only adding 4". I LOVE mine. I have two 9" TBAC cans. If you want suppression, those are killer.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the direct thread. With TBAC, it's not really necessary. Their QD thread over brakes are basically direct thread already except you can swap rifles.

Saker is my go-to for abuse cans. Military grade cans. Mag dumps, full auto, whatever. KAC makes the "best all around" IMO. But it's costly.

Before you buy TBAC, know they're on here all the time, have stellar CS and will help get you the proper unit for your application if you call. GREAT company. I bought a lot of cans and TBAC, KAC and Sico are my go-to mfg.'s along with Elite Iron, but I do have a soft spot for Liberty .22 products.

Have four AAC cans too, stay away from them!

Reactions: Huskydriver
Late reply due to a ton of work.

@Zak Smith
Thanks for the information, and clarifying what titanium is capable of.

@Strykervet
I’ve seen your recommendations in other threads, and thanks for your input. I’ve looked at Elite Iron, and I gotta say their product line is hard to navigate, but I’ve got to say their indexing service is pretty cool. They seem low key, but have a good reputation at the same time. I wish there was more work out there about how they work.

About Knight’s. I considered it, the price isn’t an issue, but for some reason their stuff elicits a strong love/hate response for the people around me. I don't think they own anything by Knights, but seem to have a low opinion regarding their customer services. It looks like a great all around purpose built tough suppressor from the impressions of actual owners. I'm most interested in the 762 QDC, but that is meant for ¾” threaded barrels so that would complicate things. Their stuff really is purpose built.

@Huskydriver I don't think I'm the most interested in the SiCo products after seeing how the ASR system works in person. I know that there are different mounting solutions by other companies, and some people are able to source extra light end caps, but I don't want to rely on a hodge podge of parts on something that is an NFA item.

@6.5ers
I'm just getting back into recreational shooting after a long break. I want to shoot more, but I don't know where the better shooting ranges are. I just want make sure I'm able finish shooting groups, shoot steel before changing, and spray painting targets. My attempts to build/assemble an AR didn't pan out, and I fell in love with SBRs after handling an MK18 clone. Price isn't an issue, and I want to preserve the original weight and balance if possible.

Last edited:
You've got some good suggestion so just to add one moreconsideration....if you love naked titanium, Crux will let you do a naked can. As they heat up they develop these amazing iridescent patterns unique to your shooting style. Super cool.

Not to say that the Saker and Chimera aren't tanks or that TBAC isn't leading the pack right now in CS. Just trying to make your decision more difficult. :D

I have a YHM Phantom Ti that has spent most of it's life on an LMT 10.5" 5.56, no deterioration in any way as far as I can tell. I have burned up 2 muzzle brake adapters though.

I went with the SRD556QD ( inconel) model for the durability standpoint in comparison to the Ti model. No issues on a trio of 11.5 amd 10.5 sbr's

Reactions: Alamo
Titanium not withstand heat,?
On mil jet engines the afterburner had ti parts, feathers.

If you take a piece of wood, steel, aluminum etc, and hold a heat source on one side you can hold your hand on the other side of it.
Say 6 inches from it for a good while.
Try that with Ti and you will get burnt insantly with no damage to the Ti.

Heat passes straight through it, unknowingly to me, found that out the hard way.

I'm not thinking 800 f would hurt it, maybe slag a barrel or most likely the gas tube way before the Ti.

6al-4v is good stuff, expensive and tears up tooling but tough.

Last edited:
Yes, Ti is not the right material for sustained high temperature conditions. First off, it is possible to melt it (ie, weaken it enough for physical deformation) through enough full auto fire, and second off, at lower temperatures (but still damn hot), you will get hydrogen embrittlement. That is how our approx 800 F cutoff point was determined. For more details you'd have to talk to the ME's.

I tried to pm you but couldn't, there are many Ti grades .
We used it in the hot sections, at times in the afterburner for parts.
I looked up different grades and conditions as the only thing we used was 6al-4v.
The full bore milspec stuff might work like I thought for temp and psi strength etc.

But I was supprised to see that comercial grade and priced Ti was limited to 800 f range apps.
I,m just guessing a price point has viable consideration. Lol

I forget we had a full blown mil budget for rocket ship testing.
https://titaniumprocessingcenter.com/guide-to-titanium-grades/alloy-titanium-guide/grade-5/

Tucking tail, once again.
Later

I just looked up your specs, impressive.
Next can probably TBAC for me.