• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

is Vudoo still doing 16.5" barrels?

Colt1860

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2010
USA
I'm posting this because I wonder if someone knows something I don't.

The other day I felt the urge to build a Vudoo in a stock since I'm so happy with the one I already have that's in a chassis. I filled out the form on their site for a quote on a barreled action. 16.5 inch barrels are an option on that form. I got a reply via email and I was asked what I plan to do with the gun and that 16.5" is a pretty short barrel. I replied and explained my plan. Apparently my answer wasn't good enough and I was offered an 18" barrel instead.

Does Vudoo still offer 16.5 inch barrels, and if so, can someone vouch for me or something so I can get approved to buy one? I promise I won't do anything uncool with it and embarrass anyone. Well, aside from my shooting anyway. Thanks!

....can we see the email?....
Sure, first reply to quote sheet:

Before I create your estimate, can you tell me more about your interest in a Vudoo Rifle, how you will use it? What will you put it in? 16.5" MTU is a very short barrel.

By knowing more, I can better build the spec's so that it's configured for your intended purpose!

my response:

My current Vudoo is a 22” MTU in an MPA chassis with a Nightforce ATACR 8-25, which I’m very happy with but it’s crazy heavy. Maybe next year I want to do some NRL style matches with it. For that purpose I prefer the gun to be pretty heavy so I have no complaints.

I’d like to build a shorter barreled gun in a Grayboe stock with a much smaller optic. The plan is a smaller, lighter gun for goofing off at the range and maybe some squirrel hunting. Yes a Vudoo is overkill for that but I’m kind of spoiled after owning the first one and now nothing else lives up to it. I have a centerfire gun in a Grayboe hunting stock and I’m really happy with it, this new Vudoo will likely go in a Grayboe Renegade. I’m not sure about optic yet but I’m leaning towards that Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 because I really like that range for 22LR for a do-all gun.

Vudoo response:

If you were going to build out in a Grayboe, you may want to go at least 18" to keep it light, but still have good balance. The Renegade is in-letted for a Kukri or smaller, you could open it up for an MTU, but it would be better if you didn't.

Would a 18" Kukri work for you?

-----

To me this looks like they don't want to sell me a 16 inch barrel.

At that point I replied I guess I'll just buy a barreled action from Mile High and have the barrel cut down. I got no response from that but they may have just gone home for the day.

So, what do I need to say or do to get a barreled action made with a 16.5" barrel? Do I need to sign a waiver or something?

Grayboe inlets the Renegade for a Vudoo MTU. Maybe they didn't in the past but they list it on the Renegade build sheet now.

Sure, first reply to quote sheet:

Before I create your estimate, can you tell me more about your interest in a Vudoo Rifle, how you will use it? What will you put it in? 16.5" MTU is a very short barrel.

By knowing more, I can better build the spec's so that it's configured for your intended purpose!

my response:

My current Vudoo is a 22” MTU in an MPA chassis with a Nightforce ATACR 8-25, which I’m very happy with but it’s crazy heavy. Maybe next year I want to do some NRL style matches with it. For that purpose I prefer the gun to be pretty heavy so I have no complaints.

I’d like to build a shorter barreled gun in a Grayboe stock with a much smaller optic. The plan is a smaller, lighter gun for goofing off at the range and maybe some squirrel hunting. Yes a Vudoo is overkill for that but I’m kind of spoiled after owning the first one and now nothing else lives up to it. I have a centerfire gun in a Grayboe hunting stock and I’m really happy with it, this new Vudoo will likely go in a Grayboe Renegade. I’m not sure about optic yet but I’m leaning towards that Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 because I really like that range for 22LR for a do-all gun.

Vudoo response:

If you were going to build out in a Grayboe, you may want to go at least 18" to keep it light, but still have good balance. The Renegade is in-letted for a Kukri or smaller, you could open it up for an MTU, but it would be better if you didn't.

Would a 18" Kukri work for you?

-----

To me this looks like they don't want to sell me a 16 inch barrel.

At that point I replied I guess I'll just buy a barreled action from Mile High and have the barrel cut down. I got no response from that but they may have just gone home for the day.

So, what do I need to say or do to get a barreled action made with a 16.5" barrel? Do I need to sign a waiver or something?
Colt1860,

Paul Parrott here. Sorry for the slow reply as I am not on here much since we are so busy but one of the moderators was kind enough to reach out on your behalf and let me know your troubles. We will absolutely do up a 16.5" in MTU for you in .22 LR. I apologize for the response you got but our sales folks were really just trying to guide you according to what they hear from me so often. We haven't done a 16.5" in any contour all year so they just assumed there was a reason we shouldn't. Please be aware, when you cut the MTU that short, the large diameter at that location means our Thread Protector we pre make in quantity will be a few thousandths smaller diameter. Still works but want you to be aware. The lighter Grayboe stocks can be clearanced for the MTU if needed. Please feel free to reach out to Jill or me at 435-359-2890 and we will get it done. In the meantime, check your email and you will find the quote you requested.

All the Best,

PP

Paul, thanks very much for the personal response and no worries. I am nearly a Vudoo salesman at my local range and I will continue to be.

I'm not worried about the thread protector, it will have some kind of muzzle device on it for its whole life anyway. Yeah it's going to look a little weird maybe with a barrel that short in a full sized stock but I have a 700 set up like that for deer and I've come to like it that way. There's an oddball in every crowd. ;)

Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: Williwaw and Rob01