• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Winchester brass known to have thin necks?

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
I just measured some of my sized Win brass and they measured .331 at the neck. That would mean that the neck is .0115 thick. This sounds pretty thin to me compared to what I have read around the forums.

Re: Is Winchester brass known to have think necks?

Win brass is just fine, prep it and shoot it, Lapua is much thicker, but IMHO not that much better, both will get te job done.

Depends what case. WSM brass is built like a tank but I've found Win 308 brass and 30-06 brass to be some of the thinnest stuff that I've tried.

Most of the Winchester 270WSM brass I have measures .017 - .0175 neck thickness. The Remington 270WSM brass was only .0155". My Winchester 243 brass measures ~.016". It probably varies a bit from lot to lot. A little prep work and it shoots fine. I typically neck turn the WSM stuff down to .015 just to be consistant.

Sounds about right. I use a .331 bushing with my BH/Win brass. With Lapua it's a .335-.336. Doesn't make a difference when it comes out the business end though.

Thanks for the reassurance guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds about right. I use a .331 bushing with my BH/Win brass. With Lapua it's a .335-.336. Doesn't make a difference when it comes out the business end though. </div></div>

This^^^

I've had batches from Winnie hunting ammo where a .332" bushing barely worked and a .331" would have been better.

I also went through 600 pieces from bags and .334" worked well on them, so it can be inconsistent and one would need to have multiple bushings if they were using bushing dies, IME.

Chris

I don't have any numbers handy, but I can tell you that Win .308 cases necked down to form .260 Rem end up with thinner necks than Lapua .243's necked up to form .260.

It kinda goes contrary to the old "necks get thicker when you neck down and thinner when you neck up", but it just goes to show that it depends on what you start with.

But back to the original question.......I have noticed in several calibers ( 22/250, .308 and .243) that Win brass is thinner than other offerings. That was one reason to choose Win brass because it gave a volume advantage and consequently a velocity advantage when working up loads.

Paul