• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ishapore 2A1, project start.

Kilo-Sierra

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Oklahoma
Ishapore 2A1, made in 1966. Chambered for .308 with a 12 round mag, all matching numbers, and the smoothest bolt throw you have ever seen!

Consider this a "before" pic, as I plan to strip the stock down and do a few other things. Planning to have it end up as a kind of sniper clone. The bore is very bright, and the muzzle looks perfect.

ishy001.jpg

I paid $150 for it, I would in some ways prefer to build one in .303 but the .308 will be much easier to get ammo for.

Re: Ishapore 2A1, project start.

Number 1, MKIIa.

I have owned an Ishy and I loved mine. It was sold in a time of poverty when the mortgage was not going to get paid any other way. I got about what you paid for yours. Many trepidations persist over that transaction.

The rear halves of the stocks on Enfields were made in different lengths in order to deliberately provide some controlled LOP variance. Shop around, you may find something more suitible.

Enfield <span style="font-style: italic">can</span> gain an accuracy benefit from glassbedding; but the process is not intuitive, and may appear odd at first glance. This is an area where careful research can pay off.

I'd tell you, but I think you'll have more fun doing the research on your own.

IMHO, probably no Ishy has ever escaped being shot well beyond its reasonably accurate service life, and their outward conditions tend to be 'filled with character'. Stick to NATO Ball battle pack ammo.

Love it for what it is. It is a sow's ear. Adamantly resist the temptation to turn it into a silk purse. She's 'a no work datta way...

Greg

That's a nice looking rifle and I think that the Ishapore rifles don't get the credit they deserve. Or, rather, they get a lot of flak that they don't!

As Greg mentioned, bedding the Enfield action can be done, but is something that needs to be done very carefully. The main problem I've come across, is that when you change the angle at which the barreled action sits in the stock, even slightly, you can also turn the trigger from a two stage, into a single stage and possibly unsafe, as well. The tolerances/angles in the trigger/sear mechanics are very particular and it's not hard to mess them up. Even a slight bend to the trigger frame assembly can do this. Be careful!

John

I got the shellac stripped off, and used BLO on the wood. Has a real nice grain.

ishapore011.jpg

Most of the Ishapore's I have seen have at least a couple visible stock repairs. I found a few inside, but none visible, so the gun looks fairly nice. Wish there was a way to put good pics of the bore up, but it really does look great. Sharp rifling, and very bright. I am not expecting great things, I am hoping for 2 MOA. I may put a scope on it, but won't do anything permanent to the metal. Will probably use the S&K scope mount, if that's what I decide to do. In the meantime I need some practice with open sights.

Regardless it should make a great hunting rifle for things under 300 yards. And unlike my '03 I wouldn't cry if it fell out of a boat while coming or going from a hunting area. Well, at least I wouldn't cry for as long...

Another thing to watch out for, in any No.I pattern Enfield, is the screw tension. First off, you want to make sure that the King Screw is tight (the screw at the front of the mag frame, which is the main attachment point for the reciever). Also, there are two tension screws in the forend. One is just behind the sling swivel and the other on the underside of the nose cap. This really is kind of like Voo-Doo and can take some trial and error to see what the barrel likes, but once you get it dialed in, it should shoot very well. Here's a pic of a target I shot when I was first sighting/testing mine, at 100 yards:

IshaporeEnfield2A1002.jpg

As you can see, they have the potential to be quite accurate. It only does slightly worse with surplus ammo. Certainly acceptable in my book. I have since switched out the front sight blade for a shorter one, to get it closer to POA. I believe most of these rifles spent their lives on racks in police/military stations and were fired very little. The bore on mine is excellent, as well.

I think you've found yourself a keeper. Good job.

Greg