• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater iSniper- New adventure of Bob Swagger

jrhammons

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2006
CenAr
Lot of up to date equipment. Better read than 47th Samauri or Night of Thunder or whatever the hell it was. Hunter seems to have used a little bit of the new "shooter" scenerios and stole from the movie a bit and the book is still lacking in some originality of his earlier works. Not in the class of the first ones but better than the last few. Good read none the less if you like LOTS of fiction

Re: iSniper- New adventure of Bob Swagger

Good to know. The 47th Samurai was bad. Night of Thunder was absolute shit. It was almost like Hunter didn't even write it. I had lost faith in him after the last 2.

To quote the erudite Forty-One:

<span style="font-style: italic">"Harlas Deucecock is at it again and the internet raves at the realism." </span>

This is one of the cheesiest, silliest novels I've read in a long time and I own all of Hunter's books.

Shank if you want my copy to read pm me an address. Your pm box is full (oh the amount of pun in that!)

This is one book I will not keep. Glad I borrowed it instead of wasting the money.

About the only ignominy Hunter did not shovel on Bob Lee was maternal incest.

Hunter probably is inbred himself, certainly has the schtick down and knows it instinctively.

Glad I read this thread. The NRA magazine raves about this book and Hunter in general. Was about to order it up via Amazon...

Best Bob the Nailer book yet. Hunter has noticeably matured in his understanding of the subject, and it comes of very well in this book. Highly recommended.

I think the problem with this book is that Hunter seems driven to produce something more spectacular with every book.

I thought some of the characters were interesting.

There were technical errors. Hunter still thinks the 168 SMK is the ne plus ultra of .308 projectiles, and his characters were shooting it at ranges where the 175 SMK would be a better choice, not to mention that the 175 SMK is now the military standard bullet.

A couple of interesting plot turns, but overall, not his best work.

Some wag said many years ago, "There's a good book in every journalist - and that's a good place for it."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"There's a good book in every journalist - and that's a good place for it."</div></div>Journalists and spies should never become novelists.

If you believe that, you must not have read any of the works of Charles McCarry, who was a legitimate working journalist <span style="font-weight: bold">as well as </span> a CIA field agent.

If that's the case, start with <span style="font-style: italic">The Tears of Autumn</span> - and then read every other novel he's written. IMO, he may well be the best American novelist still writing.

I re-read his work every couple of years.

Lindy, I can't believe it, but I haven't read any of his stuff yet. Thanks. I'll give it a look.

I will say that Ian MacIntosh's screenplays for the 80's Brit TV series <span style="font-style: italic">The Sandbaggers</span> was some of the most realistic material ever written for the screen.

And I've enjoyed Bob Baer's books, and Ostrovsky's too, although Victor had help and perhaps thought too highly of himself, but both made up for in realism and in entertainment what they lacked in literary quality.

Lindy- What are your thoughts on Philip Caputo? I have enjoyed all of his books that I've read, from his autobiographical " A Rumor of War" to his fiction work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the problem with this book is that Hunter seems driven to produce something more spectacular with every book.

I thought some of the characters were interesting.

There were technical errors. Hunter still thinks the 168 SMK is the ne plus ultra of .308 projectiles, and his characters were shooting it at ranges where the 175 SMK would be a better choice, not to mention that the 175 SMK is now the military standard bullet.

A couple of interesting plot turns, but overall, not his best work.

Some wag said many years ago, "There's a good book in every journalist - and that's a good place for it."

</div></div>

Odd how I've come to overlook these kind of things in Hunter's books, guess I feel like while he's not perfect, he's come a long way from a Russian sniper making two one-shot hits at 1200 yards with that same 168 SMK.

I guess I'm desperate for entertainment
whistle.gif