• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ISO Archery Hunting Range Finder...

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
I am ISO a Range Finder for archery hunting. I know that we are a long distance shooting community. But I also know that many members here also archery hunt. What are you using for a range finder and would you recommend it? I have always paced off my hunting area and picked out trees that are certain distances. Well, looking to up my game and try one of these range finders...

Vortex Viper HD but I dont use for archery, just rifle season. I never shoot beyond 40 yards during archery season and can visually estimate that

Vortex Viper HD but I dont use for archery, just rifle season. I never shoot beyond 40 yards during archery season and can visually estimate that
I was reading the Vortex Item Description and it states that it was made to sight in at over 500 yards. That has me questioning at how well it estimates yardage at 37 yards...

My old Leupold RX600 finally bit the dust near the end of this season. It survived 2 batteries and about 13 years/bow hunting seasons. I got in touch with Leupold CS to find out about refurbishing/repairing it, and they offered me a substantial discount on the RX1400 TBR/W Gen II to replace it instead.

I just got it 2-3 weeks ago, so I’m only just breaking it in. Bow mode seems to work well on incline/decline. Last Target Mode works well, ignoring close-up obstructions and displaying the furthest point of laser rebound. I’m excited to try out the Flightpath feature in a few tests from some of my more heavily brushed in treestands. After calibration to your arrow speed, it provides an indicator in the LED display for the arrow’s arc apex so you can see if there will be an obstruction in the arrow’s path for longer shots.

If it lasts half as long as my RX600, I’ll have gotten my money’s worth. So far from two range sessions (20-60 yards), would recommend.

Reactions: RLinNH
The rangefinders that read vastly further distances will do absolutely fine for you. I generally use a Vortex Ranger 1800, and never an issue in 5 seasons of hard use.
Just be sure whatever you get will adjust for shooting angle. Oh, and something with a red display so you can see it in low light.

Reactions: RLinNH
I have a leupold 1600i tbr-w that has the archery mode on it for angle compensation and all that.
I will sell it for a good price if interested.

I upgraded to a range finding binocular.

I have a leupold 1600i tbr-w that has the archery mode on it for angle compensation and all that.
I will sell it for a good price if interested.

I upgraded to a range finding binocular.
PM Sent

I have a razor 4000 range finder . for archery I go get in my stand and make a map of landmarks and their range then I stick the card in my arm band so I can just glance at my forearm and get my range .

I was reading the Vortex Item Description and it states that it was made to sight in at over 500 yards. That has me questioning at how well it estimates yardage at 37 yards...

It has worked perfectly for me
Zero issues. I used it to help my buddy set up his archery range for competition