• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ISO Guidance for my 700

bonifacio

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2017
Joined this forum 6 years ago and have been trying to consume as much knowledge as I could. Want to throw a 700 together and sort of threw it on the back burner.

So I'm sitting on a 16.5" 700 SPS" .308. Threw it on a XLR Envy Pro Chassis. Only had the bolt threaded for a knob and dropped in a Geissele Super 700.
Plan was to just grab a blueprinted action and slap on a Remage barrel. But then this was when things began to dry up and they weren't as available.

I want decent build that I can be content with. I just can't leave things alone. It will just be for occasional range use. Probably a few times a year and work my way through things. So that if it's I enjoy, I'll take it further from there.

Since being inactive for a bit it looks like some new actions have surfaced.
Seems like with a la carte options blueprinted actions add up. Doesn't seem to make much sense to go through all that with a factory action unless it's a godly shop.
Couple hundred more and you could buy an entry like action. So I was researching and it just became overwhelming. Came across primary extraction timing after blueprinting and now I'm lost. So many blueprinting options.

Does it sounds like a good plan to throw on a Remage barrel on the stock action for now. I want to go as budget as I can, since a lot of my projects like this get tinkered with then just thrown in the safe.

Then consider replacing the action if I get more into it? Probably a Origin or EVOII. I'd assume actions like these would be considered trued and timed since they're made from scratch?

Last edited:
Remage barrels are the cats ass for us poores. One action and any caliber you want. Just as long as you have the right bolt face.

I was reading about red loctite and remages. They would red loctite the barrel nut to the barrel and then have a quick change barrel.

Remage barrels are the cats ass for us poores. One action and any caliber you want. Just as long as you have the right bolt face.

Different bolt faces? Guess I'll be doing some more digging. Is this the bolt face sizing options listed or different profiles?

I was reading about red loctite and remages. They would red loctite the barrel nut to the barrel and then have a quick change barrel.

That's pretty cool to have that as an option. But I don't think I'll need that.

Get in touch with @LongRifles Inc. He can steer you in the right direction.

Will reach out. Thanks!

Why not use what you have and save for an Origin? The Origin is the way to go. You can change the bolt head and barrel on them with a few tools.

Reactions: spife7980
Different bolt faces? Guess I'll be doing some more digging. Is this the bolt face sizing options listed or different profiles?

That's pretty cool to have that as an option. But I don't think I'll need that.

Will reach out. Thanks!
Your caliber choice will be dependent on the diameter size of your bolt face. I also wouldn’t spend the time/money on trueing a factory 700. You have the right idea slap a remage on it. I have had good luck with factory 700 and barrels from NSS. Then you can invest on getting a aftermarket action of your choice if you get sucked into the sport which you most likely will.

Your caliber choice will be dependent on the diameter size of your bolt face. I also wouldn’t spend the time/money on trueing a factory 700. You have the right idea slap a remage on it. I have had good luck with factory 700 and barrels from NSS. Then you can invest on getting a aftermarket action of your choice if you get sucked into the sport which you most likely will.

So with it being .308 and I stay with .308, I wouldn't have to worry about bolt face sizing.
So that's just when doing work with the bolt/action.

Yes since you have a .473” bolt face you can choose any short action cartridge with that case head diameter

Reactions: Jscb1b
Get a cheap reloading manual and check out case dimensions. One of them is the size of the base of the cartridge, this is your bolt face.

You have a .473” bolt face you can choose any short action cartridge with that case head diameter

Yeah, makes sense. So right now would be a good time to decide if I want to stick with 308 or go 6.5 Creedmoor. So all it would be is a the barrel and should be good to go. Good to know.
Then I guess it's just checking magazine compatibility.

225 Winchester
22/250 Remington
6mm Norma BR
243 Winchester
250 Savage
260 Remington
6.5/284 Norma
7/08 Remington
284 Winchester
300 Savage
308 Winchester
338 Federal
35 Remington
358 Winchester
6 & 6.5 Creedmoor
6.5 Lapua
6XC

Origin, ARC, or Mack Bros actions depending on your favorite features.

Saw the ARCs too. Definitely narrowed down to those 3.
There is also Terminus. Just because they are local.

Screw a Krieger 1/10 .308 on it as is and it will shoot better than you can hold with 168 or 175 FGMM.

Reactions: dirtybores
Basically case head diameters.
223=.384”
6.8spc/valkyrie=.420
grendel/ppc=.440
308=.473
magnum=.540
Lapua mag.585

Yeah, makes sense. So right now would be a good time to decide if I want to stick with 308 or go 6.5 Creedmoor. So all it would be is a the barrel and should be good to go. Good to know.
Then I guess it's just checking magazine compatibility.
A 308 magazine will be the same as a creed. Go creed unless you just want the bigger holes in critters.

Last edited:
One of the advantages of the remage is you can lap your bolt lugs for even contact.

Basically case head diameters.
223=.384”
6.8spc/valkyrie=.420
grendel/ppc=.440
308=.473
magnum=.540
Lapua mag.585

A 308 magazine will be the same as a creed. Go creed unless you just want the bigger holes in critters.
Checking into CM. So tossing between if I want to switch or not.

Might as well just use what you currently have....
I just can't leave things alone. I also feel like if I don't upgrade something, I won't shoot it. Figured if I do, it'll make me want to shoot it. If I don't, then I tried. Dumb logic. I know.