• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ISO: Rem 788 22-250 Bolt

Siggunner89

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2021
ND
Hello Wall I hope I’m posting this in the right place if not I apologize but I am building a custom Remington 788 in 22-250 i’ve got all the parts accumulated except for a bolt if anybody could help me on locating one that would be greatly appreciated

The odds of you finding a 788 22-250 bolt is very, very remote.

Are you aware of why this is the case?

I have one…….but it’s attached to the first rifle I ever owned and I killed my first 3 deer with it. So unless the kid gets hungry, I’m not parting with it😁

I gotta get to work..........but.

The rear locking lugs is part of what makes the 788 accurate. Especially from hunting positions. Super fast lock time. Not as important from the bench.

But having the lugs in the rear allows for bolt compression. The entire length of the bolt compresses when fired.

The 22-250, in particular compresses. A lot. The pressure on a 22-250 is about 20% more than a 223. 65k versus 55k

When the 22-250 is used for something like prairie dog shooting, they get hot.

A lot of guys reload 22-250 hot.

So, you have a hot gun, running high pressure ammo, and to make it worse some guys only neck size the cases. The bolt compresses. Now you have a stuck case with a bolt handle that won't budge.

The bolts handles are brazed onto the bolt body.

Out comes the hammer or 2x4.

And this is why you see a lot of nice 788 rifles, mainly 22-250s, with no bolt.

I have been shooting 788s for 30 plus years. Have a closet full of them.

Any mechanical device has limitations. These are great guns. You gotta respect this limitation.

I gotta get to work..........but.

The rear locking lugs is part of what makes the 788 accurate. Especially from hunting positions. Super fast lock time. Not as important from the bench.

But having the lugs in the rear allows for bolt compression. The entire length of the bolt compresses when fired.

The 22-250, in particular compresses. A lot. The pressure on a 22-250 is about 20% more than a 223. 65k versus 55k

When the 22-250 is used for something like prairie dog shooting, they get hot.

A lot of guys reload 22-250 hot.

So, you have a hot gun, running high pressure ammo, and to make it worse some guys only neck size the cases. The bolt compresses. Now you have a stuck case with a bolt handle that won't budge.

The bolts handles are brazed onto the bolt body.

Out comes the hammer or 2x4.

And this is why you see a lot of nice 788 rifles, mainly 22-250s, with no bolt.

I have been shooting 788s for 30 plus years. Have a closet full of them.

Any mechanical device has limitations. These are great guns. You gotta respect this limitation.
Thankyou for the great info I bout just a bare receiver and parts from there just haven’t found one yet

Thankyou for the great info I bout just a bare receiver and parts from there just haven’t found one yet
I am wishing you luck. And let me share, because I care. You might want to consider buying any 788 bolt you come across. All of those guns except the .44 and 30-30 have the same problem It is just most pronounced in the caliber you want. You can always get a 788 without a bolt. You can hardly ever find a bolt.

Reactions: Siggunner89
Hello Wall I hope I’m posting this in the right place if not I apologize but I am building a custom Remington 788 in 22-250 i’ve got all the parts accumulated except for a bolt if anybody could help me on locating one that would be greatly appreciated
Check ebay. There's a guy selling one for $499.95...

Yea, that is going to be a rare find, super rare to be able to buy without buying the entire gun. My Riflesmith said it is the best action Remmy ever made and didn't make a lot. Good luck brother.

PB

There is a .308 parts kit with a bolt on gunbroker. Bolt should be the same. Give me a minute I’ll go check.

I lied

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 66
I have one....... its attached to a new in the box 788 in 22-250 and not for sell. I own every single model ever made. Best production rifle ever. I love those things. Good luck.......

The 22-250 and 308 take different bolts.

The pic here shows the 308 as slightly longer.

There is also a pic of the last 4 of the serial number hand engraved on the bolt.

When buying a 788, I look at the round part of the bolt, at the base, and the locking lugs for wear. I also look for the serial numbers to match. And the underside of the bolt knob to see if someone has been beating on it.

I have a model 580 single shot .22 that uses the same type of action with the rear locking lugs, it is nothing more than a 788 action shrunk down for use with the .22.
I think I paid around 55 dollars for it WITH a 4x scope, sometime around 1974 (brand new rifle).
Still have it, awesome little rifle.

The 22-250 and 308 take different bolts.

The pic here shows the 308 as slightly longer.

There is also a pic of the last 4 of the serial number hand engraved on the bolt.

When buying a 788, I look at the round part of the bolt, at the base, and the locking lugs for wear. I also look for the serial numbers to match. And the underside of the bolt knob to see if someone has been beating on it.
Thanks. Good information to know.