• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ISO: Winchester A5 Scope/Mounts

SgtSchultz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2021
Us of a
As the post says, im looking for a Winchester A5 scope with mounts correct for a WW1 USMC Springfield. im absolutely fine with a reproduction scope/mount. thanks.

Also Montana Vintage Arms might have some parts for mounting available.

You’ll have to just give them a call.

There were two different WWI Marine A5 scope mounting systems in WWI.

One was just a standard A5 scope on scope bases that WRA made for the M1903. The other was the Mann Niedner conversion of tapered bases that was produced at the Philly Depot. Which one are you trying to find, because both were used in the war.

Anything here....

Mann Niedner will cost you a fortune and no one repos them that I know of. But the books don't know Winchester made a version of a A5 sniper rifle for the Marines. They built 500 for the Marines and 900 for the Army and that version is the only one we can actually document in France in late 1917 and would have seen combat. The Mann Niedner's we can't prove were in France till late. So in all reality the top rifle is more accurate for a WWI clone. It's also the most simple to make. Get an original A5 scope and a set of Unertl 0 & E scope blocks and only a few people could distinguish between the ones WRA made and Unertl.

In the pic below, the top rifle is the variant that WRA did for the Marines and Army. It's an original rifle. Bottom is a Marine built Mann Niedner but it's a WWII built Mann Niedner. The Mann Niedners really didn't take over to the end of WWI and they were made well into WWII. But they were built nearly identical to the WWI with just some slight variations.

gpgfNeph.jpg

Here is the Winchester made variant in France in very late 1917, or possibly around Jan 1918.

KX9SsNwh.jpg

Here is that variant with the rifle in the top pic.

9q9m41Kl.jpg

Last edited:
SGT Schultz,

I’ve seen some reproduction Mann-Neidner scope blocks at Steve Earle Products. I don’t like posting links, but you can google right to him, steveearleproducts-dot-com. I’m not sure exactly what you need, but it’s worth a look.

Greg