• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Issue: 2012 AW base will not accept rings.

Graham

Generalissimo
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
Michigan
Has anyone else had a similar issue:

My 2012 AW, purchased new with a permanently mounted base, accepts NF rings but not Badger rings.

Explanation:

Both ring types will seat on the base, but the Badgers will not tighten securely to it. The ring base screws reach the stop, and accept torque to spec, but without sufficiently gripping the base to securely anchor the scope to it.

I have tried four sets of Badgers and two sets of NF rings with the same result.

Note that there is NOTHING wrong with any of the rings, as they all measure within spec and all seat properly on all the other pic rail bases on which I have ever tried them. So it very likely has nothing to do with NF or Badger.

Measurements:

The AW base measures .833 on the top from tip to tip. But the height of the taper on the rail appears to be .012 thinner than all my other pic rail bases. The bottom width of the AW base is .640 while all other bases I have measure .610.

Analysis:

I need help from you guys with the analysis because no one I have talked to so far, all of whom know AWs quite well, has ever heard of this before.

I have even had a die maker measure everything - bases and rings- and it appears that the issue, whatever it is, is probably with the base...But that is as far as we got in our analysis.

One would think that if the bottom width of the AW base is thicker, the ring hands should grab the AW base sooner than on a thinner base. The problem is that the Badger rings hands don't grab the bottom of the AW base at all. So, when the scope is mounted in Badger rings and the ring base screws are torqued to spec, the scope won't come off the base but it rattles around on it.

Therefore I think that the taper of the AW base might be the problem. Meaning: It could be a manufacturing problem with the base.

On the other hand, there might be nothing wrong with the base, those measurements being the way AI makes all of its bases, and I could be simply missing something obvious that has nothing to do with an AW rifle.

Conclusion:

I could simply use NF rings on that rifle from now on, but it would be a shame to be so limited with such an expensive rifle.

I could send the rifle back to AINA, because I know that their response will be to 'send it in' and check it out, but bases on an AW are permanently mounted so I can only imagine the carnage that would have to take place to that rifle in order to install another base.

Understand that this is not an attack on AI, as they are still by far my favorite factory rifle (and my original AE MK1 is still my favorite rifle). But of you live around rifles long enough these kinds of issues will crop up occasionally. It's not the end of the world, I am simply stumped and I need help understanding what is going on.

Thanks in advance, to most of you, for your help.?

Last edited:
Graham said:
The bottom width of the AW base is .640 while all other bases I have measure .610.

Specification for that dimension is .617 +0/-.010 @ MMC.

Possible the bottom pointy tip of the clamp on the rings is bottoming before the clamp itself can grip the rail.

I'm guessing that if you tighten the clamp bolts of both NF and BO rings (without pic rail), the opening on the NF rings will be smaller by at least .020". Check this.

If there is indeed a problem with the rail itself, AI will have no trouble failing the epoxy bond of the rail-to-action using a little heat.

Last edited:
Issue: 2012 AW base will not accept rings.

Badger tip to tip closed is .647
NF tip to tip closed is .637

' Thing is... The. pointy tip of the Badger ring clamps do not touch against the bottom of the AW base.

I ran into this issue with a seekins base I had about three years ago. I had some mk4 rings that I would tighten all the way but would not be solid, while the replacement seekins rings I ordered fit perfectly. I never did any measuring, but simply stuck with what worked. The mk4 rings were new fwiw. I'm looking forward to seeing the diagnosis.

Measure the ring with out the clamp installed (underside of the ring that would be sitting on top of the base). I am thinking that portion of the ring may be slightly oversized causing the clamp to tighten onto the ring itself with out clamping on the base. Another way of doing it would be to tighten the nut on the ring with the clamp in place but the ring not on the base and measure the opening created top and bottom where it would clamp on the base and compare.

I just measured my 2010 AW base:

top: 0.835"
bottom: 0.640"

I have only used an AI mount on this rifle but it looks like the #s match up.

I ran into this issue with a seekins base I had about three years ago. I had some mk4 rings that I would tighten all the way but would not be solid, while the replacement seekins rings I ordered fit perfectly. I never did any measuring, but simply stuck with what worked. The mk4 rings were new fwiw. I'm looking forward to seeing the diagnosis.

Interesting, I too have a pair of Mk4 rings that have issues clamping securely on several different brands of rails. They only seem to work on my badger rails (and I would hope Mk4 rails but I don’t have any). Seekins and Nightforce rings have worked without issue on all of my rails.

Exactly. The Mk4 rings did not fit on my seekins rail but did indeed fit on my RRA ar-15 come to think of it. And again...of course I didn't measure.

Not the answer you might want to hear, but...why bother messing with the Badger rings? Why not just stick with the Nightforce and leave it alone?

I've seen so many fitting issues over the years between different rail systems and accessories that I long ago stopped caring - either it fits or it doesn't, and if not, I go find something that does. 1913 only works 100% of the time if every single manufacturer in the world makes every single thing exactly to spec, and that's never going to happen.

I had the same issue last year with my 2012 aw rifle, eventually returned the badger rings and bought an expensive spuhr mount. Here I share my thought on this issue. I think the rail on the 2012 aw rile is in a new nato rail spec, it's main difference with 1913 spec is that the main contact area is the rings' bottom, not the two sides. In this way nato rail and rings can increase repeatability of every remount and be more stable, and still work with regular 1913 rings. But badger rings are different from regular 1913 rings, they are using the bottom as the contact area based on 1913 rail, just like what nato spec is, so it has advantage than the other rings under the 1913 spec but won't mach the new nato spec rail. Just my 2 cents.

I have had two AI's and mounted both the standard AI mount and Spuhr mounts, the Spuhr mounts are the way to go between the two.
I'm curious to know if your base has no can't, i.e. no forward moa, which mine don't as AI didn't offer the option until the new rifles showed up then rings alone won't get you very far will they?

This link from AI's site mentions that Nato rail :

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/Resources/AXMC-Press-Release-Final-1.pdf

''Proofed steel action featuring AI’s patent pending Quickloc quick release barrel system and 20 or 30 MOA STANAG 4694/Mil Std 1913 action rail.''

As I read that, it says to me the rail is compatable with both systems.....

I didn't know there was a new standard. That's why I love this site. It looks like the newer standard has more to do with tolerances and guidelines on how to attach to it than any real dimensional changes.

It also sounds like there is at least one minor variance from the standard (either one) on the AI rifles. I wonder if there are others that can add up to something not fitting properly. I don't believe there is a standard for the rings, but I could be mistaken on that.

As I read that, it says to me the rail is compatable with both systems.....
Agreed. That's what I remain concerned about: Apparently it's not always compatible.

BTW, my base has no cant. AWs are often run with bases attached, but I am only using rings because I like my scope mounted low and I don't need the elevation provided by a canted base.

Ok, well I thought you wouldn't get any extra elevation with just rings. I wonder if Badger, or other ring manufacturers are aware of a potential problem. I can easily imagine that you'd be pissing in the wind trying to get any joy from AI,
they'd just say; on that rifle, with no can't, use our base......
I doubt they'd entertain any idea that their base is at fault. Having said that, their stuff is pretty bombproof and
I can't honestly see then having screwed it up...

Just my opinion....