• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Issue when I tighten my rings

ECHO4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2007
Pgh, PA
When I tighten my rings the s/f on my scope starts to get tough to turn. If I don't really tighten the screws, the side focus adjusts freely, however, the scope tends to slip? Any suggestions?

Re: Issue when I tighten my rings

I would move the rings and try again. If you go over 15inch lbs on some scopes they will bind because you are compressing the tube. If its an IOR go with less...

You can also put a smear of "glue" on the inside of the upper half of the rings...I've used and had good success with rubber "cement" (the type that comes in bike puncture repair kits) but you must degrease the two surfaces first...

What ever you do, don't use epoxy or anything permanent; the "glue" really only needs to increase the friction between the rings and the tube, it doesn't need to be strong enough to bond eveything together...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can also put a smear of "glue" on the inside of the upper half of the rings...I've used and had good success with rubber "cement" (the type that comes in bike puncture repair kits) but you must degrease the two surfaces first...

What ever you do, don't use epoxy or anything permanent; the "glue" really only needs to increase the friction between the rings and the tube, it doesn't need to be strong enough to bond eveything together...</div></div>

I've also used clear silicone, you just put enough on there that you can barely tell it's there and then wipe even more of it off. It only takes a teeny tiny bit.

Are your rings lapped and/or properly aligned? If they arent you might be chasing your tail trying to find enough pressure to keep it in one spot without damaging the tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are your rings lapped and/or properly aligned? If they arent you might be chasing your tail trying to find enough pressure to keep it in one spot without damaging the tube. </div></div>

This is what I was thinking. The tube is bending which is affecting how the parallax knob moves.

Using proper Torx wrench on inserts.
Turning or milling inserts?
Still need T-20.
T-15, milling works great for glass.
Rubber cement, should help alot.

Rings are not lapped, however, I'm pretty sure they are aligned correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ECHO4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rings are not lapped, however, I'm pretty sure they are aligned correctly. </div></div>

Uhmm, A couple things.. Take the rings off the base and install onto scope and see if problem still exists. If it does not, reinstall rings loosely onto base, install scope and finally tighten the rings onto base. If that's a no go, loosen rings from base, remove scope, reinstall the lower halves back onto base. Install scope into lower rings feeling for resistance. If it has to be pushed down, there is probably an alignment issue. If scope sits in the bottoms somewhat freely, use your finger to apply pressure to the scope where the rings are. Apply pressure on one ring at a time noticing any movement on the opposite ring. I had to mount my ST-10 in Badger rings about 10 times before I got it where I was happy with the mounting...

mcm308, it's on my 10/22. Leupold Rifleman rings and EBACO 15 moa base. I'm going to try you advise and will go from there