• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Issue with brass shoulders

Jakeonthekob

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2018
California
Hey guys I was looking over some new Peterson brass I have and after loading 50 6mm creedmoor rounds I noticed that there are what appear to be stress fractures on the shoulder. I thought it might just be bad resizing technique but I looked at my other box with new untouched brass and many pieces have the same issue. Never seen this before.

Is this a non-issue or should I pull all the bullets and send it back?

brass problem.jpg

Thanks!

I'm not sure what in the picture you're referring to. Is it the line in the actual shoulder surface?

Could you post a picture of a new case that exhibits the same problem?

The case you pictured has what looks like a monster of a bulge on the shoulder/body junction from your bullet seating operation.

I believe that I would be sending that particular lot of brass back to whomever I bought it from and get another.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
Yikes, I've never seen that before. I'm trying to imagine how that would even happen, except for manufacturing defect.
Call Peterson and send it back.

Oh I see on the latest pic. Thought you meant the vertical lines in the first pic.

Yea that's nasty, send that back

I wasn't sure what I was looking at in the first pic.
That second one though- Pull them all and send them back. Even if some are fine, I wouldn't trust anything from that lot.

I would never trust any pressure vessel that had cracks, rolls, or material folds in it. Especially not one that is inches from my face while in use. YMMV.

Sorry, that looks like a cold flow issue. It won't get better and it shouldn't have snuck past their QC.

Yeah guys at Grafs and Peterson took care of me. Gonna send them back for different batch. Kinda disappointing seeing a big issue like that. Makes me worried for other people using bad batches of brass that could possibly go boom. Especially Prime ammo.

I wasn't sure what I was looking at in the first pic.
That second one though- Pull them all and send them back. Even if some are fine, I wouldn't trust anything from that lot.

I would never trust any pressure vessel that had cracks, rolls, or material folds in it. Especially not one that is inches from my face while in use. YMMV.

Haha but I like the feeling of a kaboom in front of my face. Only once though :rolleyes: jk

Well Ben at Peterson took care of me and has new brass shipped my way. He took a look at the brass and said they are not cracks but scratches. Either way, very satisfied with the customer service from Petersons and Grafs.

In the first pic, I thought they looked like scratches too, but the second pic you posted...those are not scratches.

At first I thought there was dog hair on my screen and actually moved to wipe it off!