• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Issue with Dillon full length resize die

schwim

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
Michigan
Before I call Dillon tomorrow morning, maybe someone here can help me figure out if I'm doing something wrong.

On my Dillon 650XL, bought about 8 years ago, I just got all the goodies to switch over frome .45 to .308. Issue I'm having is that even with the Dillon resize die screwed all the way down to where it's touching/compressing the shellplate, the shoulder of the case does not seem to be engaging the die. The neck is getting resized almost all the way down to the shoulder, but I can't get a shoulder bump to shorten the case. Is my die defective?

Re: Issue with Dillon full length resize die

Thanks for that link. This is my exact problem it seems. Called Dillon and was advised to remove the decapping assembly and try. They say that sometimes on the upstroke the sizing ball has too much friction and can re-stretch the bumped shoulder when pulled back through the neck. If this is the case, I'm told, I will need to lube the necks' insides. I honestly don't believe this is what's happening, but I'll check it out tonight and report back. I still think my die is too long for my rifle's chamber, but I hope to be proven wrong.

have you tried a Chamber length gauge ? there is another thread just starting on that

Yes I have, getting 2.048 with the Sinclair button gage. My overall case length is shorter. I don't think the shoulder is getting up far enough to get bumped without the die compressing/camming over on the shell plate. Afraid if I screw it down more, the press is gonna get damaged.

Well, for the benefit of anyone who may encounter this issue, the man at Dillon was 100% correct, as I should never have doubted. Seems the carbide expander ball was tight enough in the neck that it was actually re-stretching the shoulder after the imperceivable bump that was indeed occuring. The solution is to lube the inside of the case neck, which was something I was really hoping to avoid doing. Live and learn!