• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Issue with NightForce nx8

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdahoSpud

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I purchased this optic over a year ago at a hole in the wall gun store after they first came out. Every other store in the area was out and this store not only had it but gave me a discount. Skeptical but I gladly took it.

For the past year + I have isolated the terrible accuracy problems I have been having to this optic.

I have put it on three of my rifles and they all produce the same results with the NX8.

I have put other optics on the same rifles and had normal good results. Even with cheap $400 scopes instead of the $2400 NX8.

I have had many very experienced shooter’s test it out including one of the accuracy testers at axial precision, and a PRS shooter from this site who won the last competition. Everyone has said the same thing. I couldn’t shoot this bad of a group if I tried.

I have Purchased and tried several different rings and had the same results. The optic has been re-mounted several dozen times including a bunch by a night force dealer using the exact same tools they use set to the same torque settings.

The optic has been back tonight for twice now, only to be sent back as “not defective.”

Night force blamed me, the other gunsmiths, and their own dealer not using proper mounting procedures as the issue. It’s not rocket science. Their dealer mounts hundreds of scopes a year without issue.

Today I took my suppressed Tikka T3 X chambered in .223 out after getting the NX8 back. Same shit as the past year. It really is as if the scope is moving despite everything having been done exactly right countless times. A lot of times I will get two impacts touching or nearly touching, and then one flyer several inches away. Sometimes I will even get a lucky sub MOA group, but the vast majority of the time the groups are between two and 6 inches.

Im not starting this thread to bash any companies or start a fight. I seriously don’t know what else to do at this point and it seems I have a $2400 paperweight.

Night force has said it’s fine twice now and there’s nothing left they can do. Advice?

I purchased this optic over a year ago at a hole in the wall gun store after they first came out. Every other store in the area was out and this store not only had it but gave me a discount. Skeptical but I gladly took it.

For the past year + I have isolated the terrible accuracy problems I have been having to this optic.

I have put it on three of my rifles and they all produce the same results with the NX8.

I have put other optics on the same rifles and had normal good results. Even with cheap $400 scopes instead of the $2400 NX8.

I have had many very experienced shooter’s test it out including one of the accuracy testers at axial precision, and a PRS shooter from this site who won the last competition. Everyone has said the same thing. I couldn’t shoot this bad of a group if I tried.

I have Purchased and tried several different rings and had the same results. The optic has been re-mounted several dozen times including a bunch by a night force dealer using the exact same tools they use set to the same torque settings.

The optic has been back tonight for twice now, only to be sent back as “not defective.”

Night force blamed me, the other gunsmiths, and their own dealer not using proper mounting procedures as the issue. It’s not rocket science. Their dealer mounts hundreds of scopes a year without issue.

Today I took my suppressed Tikka T3 X chambered in .223 out after getting the NX8 back. Same shit as the past year. It really is as if the scope is moving despite everything having been done exactly right countless times. A lot of times I will get two impacts touching or nearly touching, and then one flyer several inches away. Sometimes I will even get a lucky sub MOA group, but the vast majority of the time the groups are between two and 6 inches.

Im not starting this thread to bash any companies or start a fight. I seriously don’t know what else to do at this point and it seems I have a $2400 paperweight.

Night force has said it’s fine twice now and there’s nothing left they can do. Advice?
Have you tried doing a tall target test?

And if Nightforce is claiming that it’s not mounted right, what in the world do they say was the cause? I mean, what mounting issue do they think could cause such an issue?

Have you tried doing a tall target test?

And if Nightforce is claiming that it’s not mounted right, what in the world do they say was the cause? I mean, what mounting issue do they think could cause such an issue?
Not sure I know what you mean by tall target test? I have put out a huge target at two and 300 m and the thing is all over the place.

Night force has repeatedly said it was not torqued to the proper settings allowing it to move in the rings AND on the base. That’s a ridiculous answer after having had so many people mount it using the proper tools to their specs of 25 for the ring/base screws and 68 for the bigger nut. After it came back the first time and they said that I made damn sure all the subsequent mounting procedures were to spec without a doubt.

Last edited:
I am sorry that you are having an issue with what should be a great scope. Please give us a call Monday. As a supporting vendor here, and an authorized NF dealer, it is my pleasure to see what we can do to get this corrected for you.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I'll speak with you Monday
Doug
516-217-1000

what Rings and mounts are you using? When you swap rifles are you using the same equipment? Have you tested the scope for tracking? how often do you make adjustments or was the scope zeroed and you use hold overs? For me, when ever I have a flyer its usually is my error.
post pics of your groups with the use Of both scopes.

what Rings and mounts are you using? When you swap rifles are you using the same equipment? Have you tested the scope for tracking? how often do you make adjustments or was the scope zeroed and you use hold overs? For me, when ever I have a flyer its usually is my error.
post pics of your groups with the use Of both scopes.
Both NightForce rings and 20MOA base. I have tried every combination of “equipment” and it always ends up being isolated to the scope itself.

you are way beyond the point that I have even been able to get to. Zero it at 100 yards and don’t make any other adjustments. Horrible shotgun groups. I’m pretty good about being able to tell when I throw a shot. That’s not the issue. Did you read what I wrote? It has been shot by many experience people it’s not shooter error. [/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 36726A18-FD7B-4FFD-9037-75A61A5B4DC3.jpeg
    36726A18-FD7B-4FFD-9037-75A61A5B4DC3.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 432
  • 604EC25D-C929-44A2-BA25-21480EF2E778.jpeg
    604EC25D-C929-44A2-BA25-21480EF2E778.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 444
  • 911E4523-611F-499B-83BE-00209B90AE82.jpeg
    911E4523-611F-499B-83BE-00209B90AE82.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 378
Let’s start with this. What does terrible accuracy mean? are groups moving or they opening up etc.

Erratic groups that are all over the place. What should be consistent sub MOA groups are 2-6” consistently.

Have you tried a different 30mm scope?
Yes, other scopes have worked fine on the rifles....

I am sorry that you are having an issue with what should be a great scope. Please give us a call Monday. As a supporting vendor here, and an authorized NF dealer, it is my pleasure to see what we can do to get this corrected for you.
Doug
516-217-1000
The last correspondence with you guys was essentially “your scope is fine we promise, there’s nothing on our end.”

I asked for a refund considering this has been over a year of not only uselessness but has cost me over $2000 in ammo and components. You said no way, the scope is fine.

I hope you guys have another solution. I will call you directly Monday.

Not sure I know what you mean by tall target test? I have put out a huge target at two and 300 m and the thing is all over the place.

Night force has repeatedly said it was not torqued to the proper settings allowing it to move in the rings AND on the base. That’s a ridiculous answer after having had so many people mount it using the proper tools to their specs of 25 for the ring/base screws and 68 for the bigger nut. After it came back the first time and they said that I made damn sure all the subsequent mounting procedures were to spec without a doubt.
So, I'm really not one of the experts here, but the tall target....or scope tracking test is intended to validate that your scope tracks right going up in elevation (accurate and on a vertical line) and returns to zero correctly.

But this may not have anything to do with your issue....dunno. But if done correctly, it will validate that your scope moves accurately a mil or moa as dial it up across the 10 mil or so, that it stays on the vertical, and doesn't shift left/right with elevation changes, and accurately returns to the starting point when you go back to zero.....that's my understanding. I have a fixture to use and plan to do this with my Leupold this next week if we get any decent weather.

Better to here it from the man himself, see link:

Reactions: IdahoSpud
Doug
516-217-1000
What a great offer!! Outstanding, Doug.

And I love your handle. I live in the DC area (in Maryland) and there was a fella, gone now, that they called Grateful Hal because his catch phrase...really his mantra on life....was "a heart full of gratitude has no room for resentments". This rings so true to me that I have never forgotten it.

Ooops, bit of a hijack

Cheers

Both NightForce rings and 20MOA base. I have tried every combination of “equipment” and it always ends up being isolated to the scope itself.

you are way beyond the point that I have even been able to get to. Zero it at 100 yards and don’t make any other adjustments. Horrible shotgun groups. I’m pretty good about being able to tell when I throw a shot. That’s not the issue. Did you read what I wrote? It has been shot by many experience people it’s not shooter error.
[/QUOTE]

was your POA the same for each set? Also did you make adjustments between shots or did you use hold overs?

Have you tried a Spuhr mount yet instead of those nightforce rings? I noticed your name and recognized it from your first thread on having issues with shooting a magnum rifle and how the scope had been moving in the rings. If a Spuhr mount is a little too rich for your blood, I would get some rosin powder and try that. Otherwise if you dont want to do that, call Doug and he should get your squared away.

was your POA the same for each set? Also did you make adjustments between shots or did you use hold overs?
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, those targets don’t do much without an explanation. Over the past year I have dozens if not hundreds of targets very similar to what I posted. Usually the POI is in the same general area. If it’s a little left and low I don’t bother making adjustments for my groups as long as it’s on paper etc. that part usually stays fairly consistent. The groups are just ginormous. As I mentioned pretty frequently if I’m shooting a three shot group I will get to that are nearly touching and one way off in outer space. Many times the group is just giant for all three or more shots.

The scope is still acting as if it’s moving in the rings. It definitely showed signs of moving before. I just do not understand how it could possibly be moving after having so many people do it to the right way multiple times.

The only trend I’ve seen is the two shots super close and one out in the middle of nowhere. That makes me think occasionally the scope does not move giving me a sub MOA group until the third shot where it moved ruining the whole thing.

I’ve never had this issue with any other optic. I’ve had prisms come loose in acogs and other issues but nothing like this

Have you tried a Spuhr mount yet instead of those nightforce rings? I noticed your name and recognized it from your first thread on having issues with shooting a magnum rifle and how the scope had been moving in the rings. If a Spuhr mount is a little too rich for your blood, I would get some rosin powder and try that. Otherwise if you dont want to do that, call Doug and he should get your squared away.
Yeah. After trying it on a suppressed bolt action .223 it’s definitely nothing to do with magnums... optic issue.

I have not tried that mount. After verifying the rifle and base, and night force telling me the optic itself was fine, I bought a second set of night force super duty(?) rings. I also tried a different manufacturers rings. Kind of rules out that but I don’t know?

I don’t quite understand Doug’s position with night force since they basically said case closed, but I will take any help I can get.

Yeah. After trying it on a suppressed bolt action .223 it’s definitely nothing to do with magnums... optic issue.

I have not tried that mount. After verifying the rifle and base, and night force telling me the optic itself was fine, I bought a second set of night force super duty(?) rings. I also tried a different manufacturers rings. Kind of rules out that but I don’t know?
Spend the money and get a Spuhr mount. Worst case the scope is fucked and you get a new one to put in that Spuhr. But at least you’ll know that scope won’t be moving in the mount.

Did NF test fire the scope on a rifle to see? If you have any way to get ahold of whoever looked at your scope, I would ask them if they mounted it on a known rifle, and shot some groups with it. If they did not, send them the scope again and have them put it on a rifle and shoot it and send you proof. If they can get it to shoot with no issues, you issue lies with you, your equipment, or your technique.

If you can’t get nightforce to do it, call Doug at camera land and he will get you taken care of one way or another. He got someone squared away with I think bushnell a couple months ago who couldn’t get through to customer service.

Reactions: Missioncarpenter
There’s nothing wrong with NF rings. I have a pair of 4 screws on a 45/70 with zero issues.

If scope is mil send to me and I will test from now through the fall

Reactions: Kae006 and tacops1
Spend the money and get a Spuhr mount. Worst case the scope is fucked and you get a new one to put in that Spuhr. But at least you’ll know that scope won’t be moving in the mount.

Did NF test fire the scope on a rifle to see? If you have any way to get ahold of whoever looked at your scope, I would ask them if they mounted it on a known rifle, and shot some groups with it. If they did not, send them the scope again and have them put it on a rifle and shoot it and send you proof. If they can get it to shoot with no issues, you issue lies with you, your equipment, or your technique.
Yeah they shot it with a 338 Lappua. They sent me a video of it shooting sub MOA. This shit defies all logic and reason.

Myself, multiple qualified gunsmith, their own dealer.... We can’t all be mounting it wrong. This makes no sense. When I went to the PRS comp in twin falls Seth shot it with the NF and had a group 2-3x the size as he did with his optic. Same rifle, same box of ammo, just swapped scopes.

• Wow
Reactions: stefan73
Idk if you want the hassle or not, but I’ve got 2 Nx8’s on 2 of my match rifles that have had no issues

if u want, u can send me your rings/scope and I’ll shoot groups with your scope+rings, my scopes+rings, your scope+my rings, and my scope+your rings....if the scope or rings/mount is the issue we’ll know it quick, and then if NF doesn’t fix it we can blast them to hell until they fix it

Last edited:
Idk if you want the hassle or not, but I’ve got 2 Nx8’s on 2 of my match rifles that have had zero issues

if u want, u can send me your rings/scope and I’ll shoot groups with your scope+rings, my scopes+rings, your scope+my rings, and my scope+your rings....if the scope or rings/mount is the issue we’ll know it quick, and then if NF doesn’t fix it we can blast them to hell until they fix it
I like, haha. I’m giving the optic and rings to the night force dealer for the next week so he can shoot the hell out of it and see what he comes up with. Afterwords I will definitely take you up on that.

If you shake the scope, does anything rattle inside? Has it been dropped?
If you look through the scope in a padded vice and lightly smack the side with your palm, does the reticle vibrate or shift off prior point of impact?
Have you box tested your scope to make sure the reticle is tracking?
Have you been shooting ultra long range with the elevation maxed out plus using holdover? I don’t know about NF, but Burris told me this scenario would cause undue stress/damage on the erector, reticle instability, and loss of ability to collimate POI.
I would kindly ask the President of Nightforce to look into this. The reputation of the company is being closely watched by members on the Hide. Demand they mount the scope, put the rifle in a lead sled, and try it themselves with your scope, then one of their own, rather than just inspect it. It’s not your fault you got a lemon, and they have a duty to make it right, otherwise their lifetime warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

If you shake the scope, does anything rattle inside? Has it been dropped?
If you look through the scope in a padded vice and lightly smack the side with your palm, does the reticle vibrate or shift off prior point of impact?
Have you box tested your scope to make sure the reticle is tracking?
Have you been shooting ultra long range with the elevation maxed out plus using holdover? I don’t know about NF, but Burris told me this scenario would cause undue stress/damage on the erector, reticle instability, and loss of ability to collimate POI.
I would kindly ask the President of Nightforce to look into this. The reputation of the company is being closely watched by members on the Hide. Demand they mount the scope, put the rifle in a lead sled, and try it themselves with your scope, then one of their own, rather than just inspect it. It’s not your fault you got a lemon, and they have a duty to make it right, otherwise their lifetime warranty isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on.
No to all of that. Nine force did your first test with the vice and smacking it on the rubber. They said it return to zero. I haven’t done a box test because it seems pointless when the groups are so massive. Like I said they already mounted it and shot it sent me the video which makes it that much more frustrating. It’s like they receive it and everything works perfectly but as soon as they send it back and everyone else here that shoots it has terrible results. Magic I guess

Here is my though. If it’s constantly 2-6in it would lead me to the gun/mount.

Have you considered asking nightforce to mount it in your rings for you?

Reactions: 300H&H
There’s nothing wrong with NF rings. I have a pair of 4 screws on a 45/70 with zero issues.

If scope is mil send to me and I will test from now through the fall
I’m in no way implying NF rings are trash, as it seems a ton of people run them with zero issue. But with the issue of the scope sliding in his NF rings I figured I’d give him another option that should yield no slippage.

@IdahoSpud Post a picture of the scope in the rings please.

Reactions: deersniper
I highly doubt its the rings or the 'mounting process' whatever the fuck that actually is. Before getting more into the technical shit here, I used to mount a scope by putting it in the rings straight to how I would look through it while shouldering the gun and then crank down the screws with a screwdriver/allen wrench until I couldn't anymore. Scope mounted. Zero scope issues other than ring marks.

Look at the mount to see if its moving or something weird like one of the screws is too long and wont let you torque it down or some shit. Is your objective touching a rail or the barrel?

Did you mount it to where its .000037849 of an inch off the rail/barrel?

Are there any small pieces of dirt/debris inside? Funny thing is you'll see them better at lower magnification.

Put the optic level to the ground via a level on the turret. Is the reticle tilted?

And dont get upset over the 'its fine, nothing is wrong with this scope' line you got. I had to send an optic to Leupold 3 times, with specific instructions as to how I tested it and what's wrong, before someone who didn't just mount it and checked the tracking only to toss it back in the box 30 seconds later was able to look at it.

It’s just a bad scope. He had this all over LRH and I assumed he was being taken care of because at first he blamed Begara rifles. Now I’ve been banned and for what I don’t know so haven’t checked back on it over there.

• Haha
Reactions: matchbook454
It’s just a bad scope. He had this all over LRH and I assumed he was being taken care of because at first he blamed Begara rifles. Now I’ve been banned and for what I don’t know so haven’t checked back on it over there.
I will reply to the other questions when I get done hunting for the night. Just saw this and wanted to throw out there I was banned from LRH for no other reason I’m sharing this about NF. When I mistakenly blamed Bergara they let it go on for 30 pages but just a couple post about nF and I was banned as well despite having broken no rules.

Edit. They just deleted my entire thread there. Don’t ever speak negatively about a site sponsor I guess. What a joke of a show Len is running there.

Last edited:
I get you, but the nf fails are vary few and far between when compared to other stuff. My buddy just texted me, his Leupold just broke on top of the two Leupold threads all ready over there.🤣 Edit.. three Leupold threads now.

Last edited:
So this is what happens when Jeff leaves NF...?
...The companies new offerings fall apart.

:ROFLMAO:
Not to sure about that. They have a great track record already. Stuff always slips though I realize that. There was this one guy here blasting NF when it was obviously his rings, and he even Acknowledged it but blamed NF because the rep he spoke to didn’t offer any free crap, or an apology he wanted.

Look at the mount to see if its moving or something weird like one of the screws is too long and wont let you torque it down or some shit. Is your objective touching a rail or the barrel?

Did you mount it to where its .000037849 of an inch off the rail/barrel?

Are there any small pieces of dirt/debris inside? Funny thing is you'll see them better at lower magnification.

Put the optic level to the ground via a level on the turret. Is the reticle tilted?
I’ve used two different complete sets of NF rings and screws. No the objective is not touching the barrel. It has plenty of room. Nothing is visible inside. It is properly leveled.

Here is my though. If it’s constantly 2-6in it would lead me to the gun/mount.

Have you considered asking nightforce to mount it in your rings for you?
I asked them to ship it back in the exact configuration they tested it in. They said they wouldn’t ship it back in the rings and it would need to be remounted.

I’m in no way implying NF rings are trash, as it seems a ton of people run them with zero issue. But with the issue of the scope sliding in his NF rings I figured I’d give him another option that should yield no slippage.

@IdahoSpud Post a picture of the scope in the rings please.
Here are some pictures

Attachments

• F49F30D5-9FB1-451E-BC85-FE0472E56333.jpeg
    F49F30D5-9FB1-451E-BC85-FE0472E56333.jpeg
    474.4 KB · Views: 497
  • 6BFCB676-703F-4B0C-A9F1-DDDCAF6D84DB.jpeg
    6BFCB676-703F-4B0C-A9F1-DDDCAF6D84DB.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 429
  • 935A1CC5-D990-4148-A3D6-8BAFE6C2CB31.jpeg
    935A1CC5-D990-4148-A3D6-8BAFE6C2CB31.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 506
why can’t they ship it back with rings? that is bs.

question for nf pros...is there suppose the be a small gap between the rings.

Reactions: IdahoSpud
I’ve used two different complete sets of NF rings and screws. No the objective is not touching the barrel. It has plenty of room. Nothing is visible inside. It is properly leveled.

I asked them to ship it back in the exact configuration they tested it in. They said they wouldn’t ship it back in the rings and it would need to be remounted.

Here are some pictures

Figured it out.

You left the sticker on.

I'm betting something is loose either on your mount (not the rings) or inside the actual scope. Have Doug talk to them for you as he'll get them to do more than put it through a tracking test and stick it back in the box.

why can’t they ship it back with rings? that is bs.

question for nf pros...is there suppose the be a small gap between the rings.

Bad pictures. There is a (Very) small equal gap.

Figured it out.

You left the sticker on.

I'm betting something is loose either on your mount (not the rings) or inside the actual scope. Have Doug talk to them for you as he'll get them to do more than put it through a tracking test and stick it back in the box.

What exactly? On the first two rifles the base was shot with other optics and had no issue. On the third rifle it’s a completely different base and the (new) rings were once again tightened to 25/68 lbs respectively. Am I missing something else in the “mount”?

Every now and again (rare) I may get 3 entire shots where whatever’s loose doesn’t move. Then it does again. Yesterday at 200 yards I shot a group that was right around 1” But then the next one.... Same thing over and over.

Attachments

• C25778F3-739B-4F74-9479-16AFB172FE41.jpeg
    C25778F3-739B-4F74-9479-16AFB172FE41.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Doug, since you are affiliated with Night force I assume it would be OK to send you my correspondence with them?

If that doesn’t break their privacy clause I would like to do so that way you can see what’s already been done and I don’t waste anymore time or money. Thanks.

Reactions: Savedsoul88
IdahoSpud said:
I don’t quite understand Doug’s position with night force since they basically said case closed, but I will take any help I can get.

He works for a NF authorized dealer, and is one of the most helpful people on this forum when it comes to optics.
I do not have a "position with Nightforce" . I am an authorized Nightforce dealer and a supporting vendor here on SH so if I can try to assist you it's my pleasure to give it a go.

View attachment 7399824

Was the scope good out of the box and then broke or ?

I Like the nx8s beside the parallax requires more adjustment with mag changes
It has not performed correctly since the day I bought it.

Over the last year I went through a long painful process first wondering why my load development would keep jumping around. Then I went back to trying tons of different factory match ammo. Then I mistakenly thought it was the rifle since NF checked my
Scope and said it was fine. So I bought a new rifle. Then I thought I just couldn’t shoot magnums. So I bought a .223 and here we are....

For my part, I think the scope is an issue. I took the rifle, shot a 3" groups at 100 yards. Then swapped the scope with a known scope, used the same ammo, and shot a 1.5" group. His rifle was not overly keen on the ammo, but it appears that the scope is also not holding a decent zero. Whether that is scope or rings I do not know. Where he had the rings replaced, I would be inclined to say it was the scope. I did not shoot a huge sample, but where we were proving a suspected issue, I think it is the optic.
Call gr8fuldoug, and see what he can rustle up. That seems like a good option.

Is

Isn’t this when you sell it LNIB on Arf-com? :censored:

For my part, I think the scope is an issue. I took the rifle, shot a 3" groups at 100 yards. Then swapped the scope with a known scope, used the same ammo, and shot a 1.5" group. His rifle was not overly keen on the ammo, but it appears that the scope is also not holding a decent zero. Whether that is scope or rings I do not know. Where he had the rings replaced, I would be inclined to say it was the scope. I did not shoot a huge sample, but where we were proving a suspected issue, I think it is the optic.
Call gr8fuldoug, and see what he can rustle up. That seems like a good option.
Thank you for chiming in Seth. Doug is working on it now. The ammunition we used that day was not the recommended one from Bergara.

Both the old set of rings and the new set of rings were sent in with the scope and night force said neither of them were out of spec or defective.

Last edited:
@IdahoSpud
I still don't know how it could be the rings.....correct me if I'm wrong, but where you mentioned above a scope slipping in the rings, that was another rifle/scope, right. I mean, you can't grab this scope and turn it in the rings once tightened, correct?

And second set of rings, same issue. Hard to understand.

If you looked at that tall target or scope tracking test vid of Frank's that I linked, I believe he says that one of the important things being tested is accurate return to zero as well as consistent tracking. He says you should dial your scope up and down the tracking target multiple times to ensure that it tracks accurately, elevates vertically, and returns to zero.

Not a NF, but a friend bought a Vortex and it did NOT track correctly right out of the box, sent it back, and Vortex actually agreed that his particular scope was defective and they made it right.

I believe that your primary concern is just getting a rifle that performs correctly while to me the NF customer service is concerning. I have never dealt with them so I have no first hand experience nor do I know of any sort of bad reputation that they have. But it sure does seem puzzling that they couldn't find the problem (and makes you wonder how hard they looked).

Cheers

@IdahoSpud
I still don't know how it could be the rings.....correct me if I'm wrong, but where you mentioned above a scope slipping in the rings, that was another rifle/scope, right. I mean, you can't grab this scope and turn it in the rings once tightened, correct?

And second set of rings, same issue. Hard to understand.

If you looked at that tall target or scope tracking test vid of Frank's that I linked, I believe he says that one of the important things being tested is accurate return to zero as well as consistent tracking. He says you should dial your scope up and down the tracking target multiple times to ensure that it tracks accurately, elevates vertically, and returns to zero.

Not a NF, but a friend bought a Vortex and it did NOT track correctly right out of the box, sent it back, and Vortex actually agreed that his particular scope was defective and they made it right.

I believe that your primary concern is just getting a rifle that performs correctly while to me the NF customer service is concerning. I have never dealt with them so I have no first hand experience nor do I know of any sort of bad reputation that they have. But it sure does seem puzzling that they couldn't find the problem (and makes you wonder how hard they looked).

Cheers

Correct me if I’m wrong, but a tracking test would be hard/pointless to preform if the optic won’t even hold a basic zero first.

No, same scope from the start. NF first said it was slipping in the rings, no other issues, and sent it back. So I made damn sure the next mounting procedures were 100% on. Same issue. Bought brand new rings and remounted again exactly as supposed to. Same issue.

I sent it back to Nf a second time and they shot it, said both ring sets and the optic are fine, and sent it back again.

Something doesn’t add up.

Reactions: HK-93
Status
Not open for further replies.