• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Issue with primer seating, need HELP!

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
So I had 2k + mixed, crimped, 5.56 brass processed by a guy. He said he was using a Dillon set up and Dillon swager. He had positive feedback from others so I went with him. Anyway, I am now having trouble seating primers. They either kind of "pop" in or get deformed in previously crimped brass. I am having to manuever the brass by hand until a primer will start. With non pre-crimped brass they go in nice and smooth with expected resistance. I also fired a primed case to check and the primer was deformed post firing. So did I get hosed or is there something else screwing me up. I am using a RCBS bench mounted tool and have used it many times with no issues previously. Am using Wolf SR mag primers, too.

Thanks!!!

Re: Issue with primer seating, need HELP!

I am not a pro, but I have been told some military 5.56 have the primers seated so they will not come loose during full auto fire. If you don't ream the socket for the new primer,it is to tight.

OW

When I set up the swager I do a couple of cases and prime, then make adjustments as required. I learned many years ago that not all primers are equal (in size). If he used a CCI as the standard, your (insert brand here) may be larger. The batch of Feds I have on hand are large than the Wolfs I have. Next batch may be opposite.

Do you know if he readjusted the tool for each type?
I would not swage mixed brass with the same swaging tool setup.

The RCBS swager, and I believe the Dillon operated on the same principle, swages against the inside of the case around the flash-hole.

Different brass will have different thicknesses of brass at the area surrounding the flash-hole.

Were it me, I would segregate the brass by type and then swage each type based on a few samples of each. Likely the setting will be different for each type.

If you segregate the ones you have primed, by ease of and proper seating of primers, you will probably find that one type of brass seems to work better than others because he may not have adjusted the tool for each type.

I have no idea what his process was. I have a Lyman crimp cutter that I tried on a few case without much change. It "looks" like the primer holes on the crimped stuff are not exactly centered, if thats even possible. Could just be the old crimp making it look off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no idea what his process was. I have a Lyman crimp cutter that I tried on a few case without much change. <span style="font-weight: bold">It "looks" like the primer holes on the crimped stuff are not exactly centered,</span> if thats even possible. Could just be the old crimp making it look off. </div></div>

It's very possible that Johnny Torque Rod didn't corectly set up his Dillon swager when he went into production swaging on your cases. Improperly setting the base (adjustable for height) block in the initial set up can, through the amazing camming power of that machine, cause one to really fuck up the primer pocket rim if the swaging punch isn't aligned properly into the center.

At the least, segregate out the obviously skewed cases as they are largely scrap or good for training if you decide to try annealing cases.

Well, looking closer it looks like the crimp is just too freakin tight. The edge is sharp, not rounded smooth like the non crimped brass. Maybe they weren't even swaged, fuck I don't know. If I hit them with the Lyman cutter they go in as they should. Now, 2000+ to do with my power drill
cry.gif

Good part is I only wasted about 20 primers, which are like freakin gold right now.

sharp edged primer pockets = you got screwed

Wolf primers are also slightly larger diameter than typical primers. I have used Wolf, and they can be a PITA to seat even with commercial brass.

The Dillon tool cares not one wit about differences in "thickness" of brass. You have 3/16ths+ to muck around with. Now if you don't follow instructions, you could go way too deep and distort the brass at an unusual expenditure of energy. In other words, to distort the brass you'd have to reef on it mightily.
If yor brass has sharp edges, he didn't swage the crimp out.
Wolf primers tend to be large.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You've got primers? </div></div>

Yes, but only 5k
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thunderchicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wolf primers are also slightly larger diameter than typical primers. I have used Wolf, and they can be a PITA to seat even with commercial brass. </div></div>

They go in without issue in non crimped brass and stuff I am cutting. By measurement they have about 3 thou interference in multiple brass I have checked. What I found is a quick touch with my outside chamfer tool does the <span style="font-style: italic">trick</span>. Unfortunately I have to do that <span style="font-style: italic">trick</span> 2000+ times.

Yup.

Chamfer even commercial brass=PITA.

If no chamfer is used, Wolf primers sometimes shave a little brass going in, resulting in a slightly high primer seating depth.

I'm still glad I bought an ass ton of them though. Now I can at least shoot without worry of running out. Pus, they were cheap back then.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve marshall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Dillon tool cares not one wit about differences in "thickness" of brass. You have 3/16ths+ to muck around with. Now if you don't follow instructions, you could go way too deep and distort the brass at an unusual expenditure of energy. In other words, to distort the brass you'd have to reef on it mightily.
If yor brass has sharp edges, he didn't swage the crimp out.
Wolf primers tend to be large. </div></div>
Looking at the tool, I was inclined to believe base thickness played a role in adjustment.
I have never used one, so I will take your word for it on the Dillon.
It certainly plays a role in adjustmtnet with the RCBS.

Well I heard from the processing guy today. He said he uses a Dillon 1050 that swages during the processing. He had an issue with something coming loose as another customer had the same problem. He thinks I must have been a victim as well. He didn't think there was an issue past the one guy as I had mine done two months ago and just now have primers to start loading so I had no idea there was a problem until yesterday. He is very apologetic and is completely willing to pay shipping both ways so he can get them swaged. So back they go. Hell of a lot better than doing it by drill/chamfer method.

Mistakes can be made by anyone.
The fact that he is working with you and wants to make it right says great things about him.

It's great that you were able to get this resolved with your supplier. Saves you the trouble of having to resolve the issue yourself.

In the past, when I had problems with seating primers into a tight primer pocket, either due to military crimps or just a tight pocket, I would open up the pockets with a chamfering tool. It was very tedious, but it did work.