• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Issue with Slash heavy buffer

smschulz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Houston, Texas USA
Anybody have this problem?
I was moving a stock/buffer/spring to another receiver and noticed how damaged the stop for the buffer was.
It appears that the heavy buffer was tearing it up .... approx. rounds was maybe 5-600 +/-.
It was in a PRS for AR308 FWIW.

Pics of good one on left and damaged on right.

Seems to me that this could lead to a failure and has me concerned.
I don't recall ever seeing this before.

I would definitely email Clint and see what he has to say. I run the heck out of mine, DI, Piston guns and suppressed and have never seen this! Thanks for sahring as I will definitely keep an eye out!

This is a relatively common issue, mostly seen in guns with 'billet' or CNC receivers. A mis-located buffer retainer hole is the cause.

If everything is 'in spec' the buffer never touches the retainer except when the receives are separated. This is the sole purpose of the retainer. When you pivot the receivers together the rear face of the bolt carrier should make contact with the forward face of the buffer and depress it slightly, relieving any pressure against the retaining pin.

The bad news is that there's nothing you can do except to replace the receiver. If you install a new pin it will just get bent again after firing a few rounds.

The good news is that the retaining pin almost never fails. It just gets bent so far until it is displaced enough to offset the manufacturing error. I've only seen a couple cases where the hole location was so far off that the pin broke and the manufacturer agreed to replace those receivers.

Interesting.
I can see now what is happening but what to do about it is another story.
I can just see me petitioning Mega Arms for another receiver.
I have a complete other rifle with same receiver and same buffer that doesn't have the problem.
It appears that the movement is .020"
What to do???

I've made a few custom buffers with a recess or groove around the head. This is a somewhat expensive solution, but it does hide the problem.
Some people choose to just live with the problem. A few have removed the retainer and spring completely, but if you go this route you need to remember to 'catch' the buffer and spring every time you separate the receivers.

I would recommend the JP silent captured buffer spring.... Using that allows you to eliminate the retainer as its not needed. I have several and they have different springs available to mimic different weight buffers.... Great product.... I've used slashes buffers too... Also great. But in this case the JP silent captured buffer spring solves your issue and it's a great product.

Last edited:
I would recommend the JP silent captured buffer spring.... Using that allows you to eliminate the retainer as its not needed. I have several and they have different springs available to mimic different weight buffers.... Great product.... I've used slashes buffers too... Also great. But in this case the JP silent captured buffer spring solves your issue and it's a great product.

This might be the answer.
I did move everything to a complete new receiver anyway.
I still need to buy a buffer spring for the receiver in question.
As much as I prefer getting another one from Slash, I might just do the JP.
I have a JP on another AR15 build and like it quite a bit too.

I run Slash's buffers also and I agree 100% that the buffer retainer (hence the name) is only there to keep the buffer from hitting you in the face when you open or separate the upper and the lower. When you close the upper to the lower you can watch the BC push the buffer back.