• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Issue with TRG-22 stock/magazine after disassembly

zenghost

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2008
NE Ohio
Had my new TRG-22 in for barrel threading recently, which involved dis-assembly of the stock. After receiving the rifle back, I was unable to securely insert a magazine into the rifle. The magazine will insert into the mag well with some effort, but will not secure with the latch/release unless I apply excessive pressure. It is definitely not normal, and not as it was before dis-assembly. The gunsmith thought maybe the forward portion of the stock was causing the binding. However, upon examination this did not seem to be the case.

I finally found that when I loosen the trigger unit, the magazine inserts/secures and releases easily/normally. When I tighten the screw to secure the trigger unit, it appears to move or rotate forward a bit and this binds the magazine.

I have little experience with this type of work and none with the TRG-22. Any suggestions on how to correct this would be appreciated. What am I missing here? A trip back to the gunsmith is not something that I could easily achieve at this time. Thanks.

Re: Issue with TRG-22 stock/magazine after disassembly

Take your forend off, you will see a little silver aluminum block with a set screw through it that sets the magazine well tension. Loosen this up and move it forward slightly. Your mag will fit now.
Justin

OK, will try that. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zenghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, will try that. Thanks! </div></div>

It WILL fix the issue as you've described it.

Just don't OVERcompensate. If you move that block too far forward, the magazine will drop slightly during recoil, and won't feed rounds! You need to adjust it to the right degree of tightness versus play.

I found that what worked for me was: loosen the adjsutment screw, insert the mag, push the block against the mag a bit, but not like a gorilla, and tighten the screw while holding the mag in that position.

Jim G

Problem resolved after following the advice provided above.

In retrospect, I don't know why I did not try that earlier, but it probably had something to do with concerns of screwing up something.

Many thanks to all who took the time to provide assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Justin, is good to go. He has sorted me out over this side of the pond.