• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Issues with Lantec Ebcg not going fully into battery. Suggestions?

Len5E1

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2018
Hey People’s,

So I purchased one of the more expensive Lantec EBCG TiN coated ones, their most expensive ar15 bcg during one of their crazy 50% of sales. It feels and looks great but it just doesn’t function very well in most of my rifles. If the rifle and bcg are spotless and oiled up good it works for about 1-2 mags, after that it fails to insert all the way into the chamber. I have tried 2 long outtings and trouble shot it thoroughly and it’s definitely the bcg because swapping to pretty much any other bcg complete solves the problem.

The other issue I noticed is it doesn’t like to stay wet, maybe it’s made to be run dry? Oil doesn’t stick to it well and after a few suppressed shots the bearing surfaces of the bcg get sticky and dry fast. I can’t tell if it’s a tolerance issue or if it just doesn’t like being dirty at ALL which would make it a pretty bad bcg. Anyone else experience this or know what I might be doing wrong? I don’t see how it can be anything in the gas system unless the vltr a5 spring I’m using isn’t strong enough to shoot it into battery after either release the charging handle fast or dropping the bolt using the bolt release (i tried both ways.)

EDIT: I do want to mention it seems to function fine if the first round chambers all the way so the gas is enough to keep it operating. I refuse to use a FA to jam something in to get it to work.

What are you using for lube? I have one and use synthetic motor oil and mine stays wet suppressed. Mine is NiB, not TiN however.

Reactions: bfoosh006
What are you using for lube? I have one and use synthetic motor oil and mine stays wet suppressed. Mine is NiB, not TiN however.
I was wondering the same thing.
And FWIW... I have gone back to phosphated / CL BCG's because the lube soaks into the pores.

For fun, contact SOTAR/School Of The American Rifle to see if he'll inspect it for geometry & function.

What buffer/spring combination are you using?
Definitely agreed. Had a similar issue with the buffer being too light and having bolt bounce (which took it out of battery). We recorded it using slow motion. Installed a H2 and issues went away.

Reactions: JS8588
I would separate the upper from the lower, remove the buffer and spring, and cycle the BCG by hand in the RE to see if you have binding or drag issues with that carrier's oversize tail.

Definitely agreed. Had a similar issue with the buffer being too light and having bolt bounce (which took it out of battery). We recorded it using slow motion. Installed a H2 and issues went away.
I run mine with a rifle buffer and Tubbs flatwire.

Sounds like its puking gas from somewhere. If the same upper runs great with other BCGs, I would take the Lantac and check the two screws on the top of the carrier key. It doesn't take much of a leak to have issues pop up.

Reactions: JS8588
Hey guys sorry my notifications were off apparently. The reason I didn’t mention gas system is because it’s not entering battery even before firing it so other than spring tension I wouldn’t think anything else matters if other full mass bcgs chamber and lock up just fine, right? I am using a5 w/ H2 though to answer the question. Basically racking it or dropping the bolt isn’t enough for the bolt to lock in the lugs but every other bcg works just fine.

As for lube I have tried hoppes #9, hoppes elite and m-pro 7. I also tried some clp that came with my shadow 2 orange.

Just for the sake of trying something did you try the original bolt in the Lantac carrier or is this a new rifle? Try this to isolate any issue.

Also mentioned above, how tight is the carrier (carrier only) in the upper when it's clean. Do you feel the carrier smack the gas tube? I spend some time getting a carrier (again carrier only) running smoothly inside of the upper by adjusting the gas tube for a no drag fit. I personally prefer a fat carrier (Young Manufacturing NM and JP) and have a Lantac here in a Lantac rifle (expensive!!!! but not mine) and it runs smooth. Both of the above mentioned BCG's have some coating on them (chrome and whatever JP does) and they flat out run smooth and since I shoot suppressed, dirty. I run my BCG's wet with either Militec grease or another hybrid oil/grease.

Reactions: mtrmn
I would separate the upper from the lower, remove the buffer and spring, and cycle the BCG by hand in the RE to see if you have binding or drag issues with that carrier's oversize tail.
Do what is suggested above 1st.
Then check headspace. If it's too tight for a go gague to close by hand, it may compress brass enough to chamber when clean & the bolt slams homes, but not when it begins to get dirty.
You can try another bolt in your BCG but I've never seen a bolt out of spec for HS, but I have seen barrels that would not accept a go- gauge, thus too tight.

MM