• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It’s back! Predator Custom Shop .300 Whisper

Cixelsyd

LUSH
Minuteman
May 17, 2004
W-NC
I’m pretty excited about this. I started planning and buying parts for a .300 Whisper build earlier this year while I was in Iraq. I also put together a Whisper AR but thought that a bolt gun would be more fun for me.

Soo, after I had everything for the bolt gun build I started contacting some of the ‘smiths that I haven’t used in the past. I’ve had experience with GA Precision, LongShot Rifles, McMillan, and Pacnor built rifles. All have been top notch and I wouldn’t hesitate buying from any of them again. This time I wanted to try someone new, though.

The quickest reply came from Predator Custom Shop in Tn. After a few emails I realized that their prices and turn-around would be hard to beat. I contacted several guys on the boards that have Predator Custom built rifles and they all held them, the rifles and shop, in high regard. The decision was made. Specs were nailed down, parts were shipped off, and BAM! a little over three weeks later I had my rifle back.

Here’s what I ended up with.
Remington 700 action. Trued, lapped, etc.
Pacnor 8-twist 16.5” barrel, threaded 5/8x24
Thread protector with wrench/tool
Chambered in .300 Whisper
McMillan A1-3 stock in Campfire Camo, pillar bedded
Badger M5 DBM, recoil lug, and 20 MOA scope base
Leupold/Premier 3.5-10x40 M3 with Gen II Mildot
Metal coated in tan

I pre-paid for several of the new AI .223 mags that are coming out (hopefully soon). I’ll have to single load for now. Ammo-wise I have 220 rounds of Corbon loaded ammo. After the range dries up, I’ll get it out and see how she shoots.

Here are some pics.
This is the overall rifle. It’s a pretty handy little package with that 16.5” barrel.
pcwhisper1.jpg

This is a close up of the thread cap. I gobbed a bunch of lube on there so that little transition line that you see is from it squeezing out. It’s not visible when wiped down. Notice those two holes on the front of the cap.
pcwhisper2.jpg

It’s for this neat little tool that they shipped. I’ll only go hand tight with the cap, but its good to know that I have something (besides channel-locks) to twist is off if it ever gets crudded up.
pcwhisper3.jpg

Here’s how she’ll spend most of her time. Suppressor is an SWR Omega 30 that I’ve had for a while.
pcwhisper4.jpg

Well, being that I haven’t shot it yet, I can only give you my initial impressions of the physical work. Predator Custom Shop gives up nothing to the big boys. Machining work looks excellent. The metal coating looks very durable and the bedding is really clean. Several muzzle devices threaded up on their threading just fine. Pricing and turn around were very reasonable considering this was a full build. Overall, I’m very pleased with how it turned out.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a quick plug for them ( http://www.predatorcustomshop.com ) and show you guys my new toy. Thanks goes out to Jim R. at PCS for making everything go smoothly so far. I’ll post a range report as soon as I can.

CHRIS

Re: It’s back! Predator Custom Shop .300 Whisper

I have had Really good luck with the Preadator AR but if you tell everybody the wait will get longer and longer!

Preadator... a great bunch of guys Im about two hours from them been to their shop a few times they always have some great "toys" around the shop

Cixelsyd,nice stick last time I was at Preadator I handled a few stocks and the A1-3 was one of them its a great stock

I've got a LTR (long range tactical) they built me last year and it is by far the best shooting rifle I have ever shot or owned (that's a bunch). I agree the quality of their work and the level of customer service and availability of Jim to talk over your project is exceptional. As a matter of fact Jim called me last night to talk about the new project he is doing for me. Great guys, who do great work.

great attention to detail on that thread protector/ wrench combo. you would have a picture of the whisper round handy? ive never seen one

Glad to see you got it back and like it. I believe we spoke before you decided on using Predator (I was the one with the 7.62x25 Tokarev rife shooting heavy pills). They do ALL of my work and I am happy with everything they have done for me.

Dolomite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great attention to detail on that thread protector/ wrench combo. you would have a picture of the whisper round handy? ive never seen one </div></div>
Here ya go.
misccarts.jpg

From left to right: .300 Whisper, .223 Rem, .458 SOCOM, .243 Win, .308 Win, 6.5x284 Norma, 7 Rem Mag, and .50 BMG.

That Whisper round is the 220 gr. load from Corbon. I waited almost a complete year for the ammo to finally ship to me. I recommend only ordering from them when they have stuff in stock.
eek.gif

CHRIS

thats an odd little round. i remember seeing several like that in a gun mag now that i see it. thanks

Whats the advantage of running a 300 whisper in a bolt gun compared to that of running a .308 and downloading to subsonic speeds.

That's a great lookin rifle. Congrats!

I definitely like the looks and specs of a lot of their packages.

I was in the Market for a new AR and came across their website. Really liked the sound of the Carnivore Package. Sent them an email twice and couldn't get a response.

Might have to try them again in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the advantage of running a 300 whisper in a bolt gun compared to that of running a .308 and downloading to subsonic speeds. </div></div>

Case capacity. You can have more consistent results by having a fuller case as opposed to having a small amount of powder in the larger 308 case. It can make ignition hard also if the small amount of powder is at the front of the case at the time the primer goes off. Some people load 308 with Trail Boss to help because it is a fluffy powder. There are also isntances where having too little powder in the case compared to capacity can cause serious problem.

Here are a few site related to this:
Develop Subsonic
HOW TO HANDLOAD SUBSONIC RIFLE CARTRIDGES (and survive)

I have noticed when loading 223 with pistol powders at reduced velocities that there is a difference in muzzle noise between when the powder is at the front of the case or at the rear. I would tap the bullet to settle the powder at the front and fire then do the same by tapping the rear of the case.

Dolomite

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the advantage of running a 300 whisper in a bolt gun compared to that of running a .308 and downloading to subsonic speeds. </div></div>

I've done this with 240 SMKs and RL25, but you need a fast twist barrel, 1 in 8, to make it work. Dolomite is dead right: loading density is important, and a half empty case is likely to get you in trouble more than a jam-packed case. The Whisper series fulfills the cartridge design rule of picking a case that will offer maximum load density to push the desired projectile at the desired velocity.

Nice stick, Dolomite, when are you getting the can?

Not my stick, just answering a question for someone.

Dolomite

Now that looks like a nifty rifle. Great for picking things off quietly. Looking forward to a range report.

Very,very nice! I had an AR in 300 Whis. a number of years ago. Had a buddy who made cans for OPS, and the 2 together were pretty sweet. Love the camo.