• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes It’s time to start putting parallax on the right side.....

Dthomas3523

Account no longer active
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    So, it’s generally accepted that for efficiency of motion and such, using your strong side hand is the proper way to dial turrets.

You already break your grip to run the bolt so it’s more efficient to use that hand for anything not support related.

Your support hand does just that, supports the rifle. Be it via rear back, on top of optic, or on the forearm/barrel.

Anytime you break with your support hand you have to reestablish the support of rifle or you are shifting between strong and support hands supporting the weight.

So, let’s start putting the parallax on the right side (for right handed shooters).

Are you advocating for switching the wind turret to the left side then?

I’ve never run a Kalhes (I’m a NF, Leupold, SB basic bitch) but I do like the idea of the parallax being located at the top under the elevation turret. Seems like that would be the ideal location and just keeping the illumination on the left.

Are you advocating for switching the wind turret to the left side then?

I’ve never run a Kalhes (I’m a NF, Leupold, SB basic bitch) but I do like the idea of the parallax being located at the top under the elevation turret. Seems like that would be the ideal location and just keeping the illumination on the left.

Yes. Dialing wind usually doesn’t happen dynamically.

It also puts the windage in your peripheral vision. If you don’t have locking turrets, it’s nice to be able to take a quick look.

Yes. Dialing wind usually doesn’t happen dynamically.

It also puts the windage in your peripheral vision. If you don’t have locking turrets, it’s nice to be able to take a quick look.
    I can dig it. I run capped wind most times but I like the idea. Would be cool to see more offerings that change it up.

I reach over (not reach around, you fucking weirdos!!). By resting my right palm on the elev turret it seems to steady for fine para adjustments before I run the bolt. So my firing hand is already off the gun.

I like the 'idea' of a right side para. However, I could see myself out of habit reaching over and cranking about 2 mils of wind before I realized what I was doing. lol

The only issue I could see is that the Parallax turret would be somewhat difficult to see. Right now you can see the parallax through your non-dominant eye from the shooting position. Moving it to the right side would require you to break your cheek weld. Kahles doesn't have this problem since parallax is in the top-middle.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    The only issue I could see is that the Parallax turret would be somewhat difficult to see. Right now you can see the parallax through your non-dominant eye from the shooting position. Moving it to the right side would require you to break your cheek weld. Kahles doesn't have this problem since parallax is in the top-middle.

Why are you looking at the knob and not the target?

Reactions: HolyCity73
    I want the turret I’m actually dialing to be in front of me. Im a right handed shooter and I can’t see the markings on the right turret without moving my head. Left turret is right in front of my non dominant eye where I can easily see it for quick adjustments.

Before anyone says parralax knobs are never correct by markings.... S&B’s are damn close, or nearly exact to their markings. Even scopes that aren’t you should know roughly where you need to be to get you close. Way faster if you can see what you’re doing.

Parralax knobs are in the right place on most scopes. Except for that Kahles abortion.

I guess I just don't get why people have to see what number they're looking for on para adjustment knob. The target/reticle is what is important. Unless you're referring to before you get on the gun. In that case, you have no breaking cheek issues.

I must be doing it wrong or just not getting it.

Most people don’t look at the parallax knob on the clock. Prior to shooting yes, but not while in a dynamic situation.

I always liked left side windage used to order USO’s that way. Since most times the front of a rifle is supported in some way, adjusting it is pretty natural feeling. Parallax isn’t nearly so important imo, and can easily be adjusted without looking at the knob.

Attachments

• 78108375-BF81-4797-9504-C1A9C4C9270A.jpeg
      78108375-BF81-4797-9504-C1A9C4C9270A.jpeg
      248.8 KB · Views: 33
    I guess I just don't get why people have to see what number they're looking for on para adjustment knob. The target/reticle is what is important. Unless you're referring to before you get on the gun. In that case, you have no breaking cheek issues.

I must be doing it wrong or just not getting it.

Very good point and I agree. Parallax isn't "numbers on dial" specific. It was just a small concern that would probably effect new shooters mostly or be difficult to explain to the market at large.

Reactions: dang472 and A&8's
    I really like how Khales puts it on the top.

I agree with @Dthomas3523 though, the windage dial doesn't get much "in the moment action". I only touch it when setting my zero. After that, it's left untouched as I hold for wind.

Parallax isn't "numbers on dial" specific.
    Except for when it is.

I want the turret I’m actually dialing to be in front of me. Im a right handed shooter and I can’t see the markings on the right turret without moving my head. Left turret is right in front of my non dominant eye where I can easily see it for quick adjustments.

Before anyone says parralax knobs are never correct by markings.... S&B’s are damn close, or nearly exact to their markings. Even scopes that aren’t you should know roughly where you need to be to get you close. Way faster if you can see what you’re doing.

Parralax knobs are in the right place on most scopes. Except for that Kahles abortion.

I agree. Most my good scopes are very good about lining up with the yardage markings. Its just my lesser quality scopes that dont... but even then my talos btr is spot on.

Being right handed, I've often thought I should be running a left side bolt, left side parallax, left side windage knob, but I holdoff so I guess I'm less concerned about the windage knob.

I just like controlling the rifle with the grip in my right hand as much as possible.

Recently I had a chance to try a PCP air rifle with a left side biathlon strait pull type lever, man I loved it! I could move the rifle from target to target with my hand holding the grip while cocking at the same time.