• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It is finally done!!

JBW3

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I contacted Joel Russo(http://russoriflestocks.com/) some time ago to see if he would make me a replica A5 stock but in some kind of exotic wood. He suggested that we use a wood that I have never heard of before, Bubinga Wood. He sent me over some pictures of the blank that he had and it looked very interesting. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it and here it is!!
390686413.jpg

390686411.jpg

390686412.jpg

This will be a REM 700 LA in .30/06, Ray Lawler did all the gunsmithing work.

I can't wait to see this thing in person!!
John III

Re: It is finally done!!

Oh my....

Now you just need to krylon it
crazy.gif

Yep it needs some spray painted skulls and zombies to cover up that wood.Maybe a little multi cam too.LOL That has to be one of the most beautiful pieces of wood I have ever seen.

bubinga is an african hard wood a species of rose wood. it looks like you got what they call a waterfall figuring. i use it for a lot of furnature. its used quite a bit in arcitectural millwork. beautyful wood heavy and srong. stronger than walnut

Pimpin, what finnish on the metal? You are going to post some pics of the finnished rifle arent you!?

That is an awesome stock! I'm curious as to the cost as well.

I think it's very neat that you made a bitchin' wood A5
laugh.gif

That thing is sweet !

Only thing is I'd be scared I'd bump it on something and not want to take it out of the safe !

The action and barrel will be black oxide, I was really torn between that or just polished stainless.

The stock ran me $880 complete with finishing.

I will post some more pictures when it is complete. Right now I am like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!!!
John III

i can wittle you the action for this build if you'd like! that thing is freakin bad ass, thanks alot cause now i want one! that there wood gave me wood!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stock ran me $880 complete with finishing.

John III </div></div>

John,

Did that include the blank? If so, that is a smokin' deal.

Josh

That is a nice piece of Bubinga. I have eyed that wood in the hardwood store, but the piece you have is a super one. I would think stainless metal would look better. Stainless plus black scope and bipod would be hot.

-Steve

Wow.

The wood is fantastic.
The lines are fantastic.
The price is fantastic.

I'd be so damn scared to use it and ding it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW! That is really something. I'd go a matte SS action/barrel/BM. </div></div>

Yeah, I totally agree with you. I had a Savage 116 Safari in 458WM that was stainless with a AAA walnut stock on it. It was gorgeous, but didn't have the figuring that stock does.

Thats going to make 1 hell of a nice rifle with that stock.I was a custom wood worker for 12 years and love wood. I would like to build a rifle with a nice piece of wood but i know it would sit in the safe for the fear of something happening to it. Good luck with your project.

I would have been scared to death to bed the action into that stock. Only with that stock would a freak accident happen during a routine bedding job.

That really is one beautiful piece of wood. A piece of bubinga that size with such a nice figure must have cost quite a bit, not to mention the obvious craftsmanship involved in actually making it. I would consider $880 a <span style="font-style: italic">very </span> good price for that stock.
Have you considered going with a "gold plated" finish on the metal parts? (just kidding.)

How much does the stock weigh?

Throw some Marine Tex on the grip and forened and that stock is complete! You've got a functional piece of art there.