• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It is time to say goodbye

wvfarrier

Ignorant wretch
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
West (By GOD) Virginia
To my best friend and the love of my life (do not tell my wife). My 11 year old german shepherd has terminal cancer. The vet is coming out Saturday to send her home. It has been a long time since I lost a family member, its physically painful. My kids have never known life without her and my wife has NEVER had any other dog. She has truly been one of a kind. I have had her since she was 3 weeks old (the mother rejected the litter). I cannot begin to understand how I am going to go through my day without her.
IMG_20230531_175401.jpg
Screenshot_20170701-125006.jpg
Screenshot_20170810-193331.png
Screenshot_20170713-073540.png

That’s a beautiful dog. My sympathies to you and your kids. It’s truly a hard loss.

I just put my best friend of 15 years down 3 weeks ago.

Edit to say I waited too long and really wish I hadn’t done that

Last edited:
It hurts, I know, but if she's that sick youre doing her a favor.

A DOG'S PURPOSE (FROM A 6-YEAR OLD)​

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolf hound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.
I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.
The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.
young boy carrying pet dog

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life - - like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

I'm so sorry to hear that. I think God sends us wonderful pets that become family members. I have one watching over my Mom daily. He's her dog and I came home today to see him standing next to her making sure she's okay. She's 90 and has a multitude of ailments. His time is coming soon as he has a bad liver, a heart murmur, and a huge fatty tumor. But he does his job everyday, I don't know what I'd do without his help. Prayers of comfort and healing for you and your family. And prayers that the Lord will bless you with another wonderful pet.

It’s a great loss you’re going through. I’ve been there a few times myself and it hurts.
“The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me?”
― Sir Walter Scott

Funny how some of them just know about kids.

My wolf dog Nikita really doesnt like most people, but theres something about her that attracts folks, especially kids. When a child walks up to her she just stops and stands dead still lets them do what ever the want.

Sometimes I get almost jealous, they all fawn over her but ignore me. BoHooHoo

I lost my girl in the fall. She went downhill pretty quick and it was the right thing to do to ease her pain. I miss her more than some people I have known.

I still turn around when working in my shop expecting to see her laying on the floor watching me wrenching on a car.

Damn. Sorry to hear that. Been there before and will be again soon. It's not fun, to say the least, but you'll make it through. Looks like you had some great times together.

Reactions: JR_77
Just remember, as hard as it will be, know that being there with him, and seeing him along his journey, is the very best thing you can do. He'll know that he was loved... one of the very best things he can take with him along his way. Yes, the grief will be rough... but it's supposed to be. I think the late HRM Queen Elizabeth II once said, "Grief is the price we pay for the love we receive."

We'll get you through this.... Whatever you need.

I truly believe all dogs go to heaven, they spend their entire lives giving unconditional love. No matter how bad the day my dogs make me smile. Nothing calms the world better than loving on a dog. Sorry for your loss but I am glad you had years of unconditional love from the best creatures on earth.

I’m so sorry for your loss, putting our last dog to rest was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, even though he was “my wife’s dog.” It’ll be even worse when I have to send my baby girl home, and I dread the day. Wish there was more I could do to help ease the pain, but reading this helped me process things a bit last time:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Just remember, as hard as it will be, know that being there with him, and seeing him along his journey, is the very best thing you can do. He'll know that he was loved... one of the very best things he can take with him along his way. Yes, the grief will be rough... but it's supposed to be. I think the late HRM Queen Elizabeth II once said, "Grief is the price we pay for the love we receive."

We'll get you through this.... Whatever you need.
"Grief is the price we pay for the love we receive."

I often ask myself the question, "Is it better to have loved and lost or to never have loved at all?

n an elegy titled In Memoriam A.H.H., Lord, Alfred Tennyson wrote the line, “'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” “A.H.H” stands for Arthur Henry Hallum, Tennyson's closest friend who died suddenly in 1833 at the age of 22.Aug 24, 2022

While technically I know the answer is yes, at a personal level, the juries still out.

Reactions: Ichi and WaltHer
To my best friend and the love of my life (do not tell my wife). My 11 year old german shepherd has terminal cancer. The vet is coming out Saturday to send her home. It has been a long time since I lost a family member, its physically painful. My kids have never known life without her and my wife has NEVER had any other dog. She has truly been one of a kind. I have had her since she was 3 weeks old (the mother rejected the litter). I cannot begin to understand how I am going to go through my day without her.View attachment 8153684View attachment 8153685View attachment 8153687View attachment 8153691
Put my GSD down on the 18th. On the one hand it feels like betrayal; but I realize that I was protecting her from the pain she was in. I wish it was a clean break, but you will be reminded a lot about all the parts of your life that they were in, and aren't now. It's the deal you make when you get a dog. Prepare, get your ass kicked, gather yourself up, soldier on. They will live on in your heart.

Hold her, hold to the end. It will be hard, I lost both my parents, but God took them. I made the decision to send our Nova off. She suffered with cancer also but was loving and wagging her tail. She would cry out in pain at night. She knew the day it was going down, laid outside in the warm sun, told this earth good bye. I still feel guilt over it. But I was selfish to let her linger. 😢 Be strong!

Dogs are fantastic! Losing them sucks! Of all those near and dear to me, the loss of a dog was the worst. I think dogs are put here to make sure we cope with the worst of days.

Imagine a wife that loved you like your dog!!!! You would feel like a King everyday!

Sorry dude. Someone mentioned it already, but grieve a couple months, and then go find a new best friend.

Hold her, hold to the end. It will be hard, I lost both my parents, but God took them. I made the decision to send our Nova off. She suffered with cancer also but was loving and wagging her tail. She would cry out in pain at night. She knew the day it was going down, laid outside in the warm sun, told this earth good bye. I still feel guilt over it. But I was selfish to let her linger. 😢 Be strong!
Dont feel guilt. What would she have wanted?

When my dad was dying and in a lot of pain, I said to the nurse, "Where's his second shot of morphine?" she knew exactly what I meant. It let him go to rest with mom and I holding his hands

Its a gift.

Condolences for your loss. It's a rough road, but time does heal those wounds.

This has always helped me get thru the grief of losing a" Best Friend". Lost my Kojak eariler this year and the Hide offered great support as well. Thanks to all that posted or read my thread a few months back. Take care of your family and make it a weekend of loving for all.
My Dog.jpg

They live on in our hearts and dreams. There have a few times when I swear my cat was in the room with me or that I caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye.

I've told myself several times, no more after this one. But I always find myself taking in a stray or looking at the adoption adds.

I’m very sorry to hear this. We had to say goodbye to the last of our shepherds in November. They are fantastic family members.

I lost my Ranger, a border collie roughly 7 years ago and when I read these threads (I have no idea why I keep putting my self through this) I always start to tear up. Cancer took him away from me as well. I was a total mess, one thing I think is a good idea is having your vet come to your house, that is nice, and I think more easy for your girl. When mine went, and the vet knew he had but months left, I called and told them it was time. The vet told me they are too busy and they could work me in Tuesday....yea not kidding. I will do the entire story some other time....not now.

Only thing I can offer you, and I know it really sucks to say, but my Remington, was what my heart needed. Nothing else filled the hole in my heart, only Remington could do that. He is nothing like Ranger, but only another dog filled that hole in my heart.

I came apart when he went, and I do mean came unglued. We are talking uncontrolled crying snot bubbles all of it. And I am not ashamed to say so.

I generally put a couple videos up, they help me. I never stop thinking about Ranger, he was really the special dog, he had that link into my soul like no other has had. I am lucky to have found him...and fuck it all I am doing it again.

Dogs become part of your family, and it just hurts. I’ve had two Rotties and it killed me when they went down. I’m sorry, prayers for your family, especially the kids.

I lost my Ranger, a border collie roughly 7 years ago and when I read these threads (I have no idea why I keep putting my self through this) I always start to tear up. Cancer took him away from me as well. I was a total mess, one thing I think is a good idea is having your vet come to your house, that is nice, and I think more easy for your girl. When mine went, and the vet knew he had but months left, I called and told them it was time. The vet told me they are too busy and they could work me in Tuesday....yea not kidding. I will do the entire story some other time....not now.

Only thing I can offer you, and I know it really sucks to say, but my Remington, was what my heart needed. Nothing else filled the hole in my heart, only Remington could do that. He is nothing like Ranger, but only another dog filled that hole in my heart.

I came apart when he went, and I do mean came unglued. We are talking uncontrolled crying snot bubbles all of it. And I am not ashamed to say so.

I generally put a couple videos up, they help me. I never stop thinking about Ranger, he was really the special dog, he had that link into my soul like no other has had. I am lucky to have found him...and fuck it all I am doing it again.

I am fortunate in that our Vet is a farm vet so he ONLY makes farm calls and he works about 35 hours a day. I honestly do not know how he does it.

Reactions: xsn10s and JR_77
Sorry.

Lost both of mine in less than a year. Spent months hobling one through cancer. Then the other one starts coughing shorty after we put the other to sleep. He goes from energetic can't believe he is 12 to can't walk down the block and despite medication never really recovers and has to be put down a miserable swollen wreck a couple months later. IE a couple weeks ago.

On top of that the cat I liked disappears and about a month later we find the other one poisoned in one of our window wells. Then I see the neighbor we helped out when he was having heart problems carrying a small animal trap down the block last week.

No more cats now the birds have pecked every strawberry on the property. I got one single berry so far this year.

• Sad
Reactions: Ichi and JR_77