• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It puts the lotion on the wood........

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Had to linseed oil up my Smithy spatula.....

image.jpg

So why shouldn't an M1A and an M40 get some hand love........

image.jpg

Raw or boiled?

The linseed oil, Not the rifle.

I use boiled. Pics of an axe handle. I scrubbed off the varnish (blister maker) and then soaked it in the oil. I also use it to secure the head on an axe or hammer by soaking the top of the handle in the oil for a week or so. It swells the wood grain and prevents it from loosening. Cover the container or the oil will form a skin. Buff the wooden handle afterwards for a smooth finish. I’ve used it on canoe paddles as well.

Attachments

• 3FCEF9D5-B13D-41B4-B3B7-CC69E7B41684.jpeg
      3FCEF9D5-B13D-41B4-B3B7-CC69E7B41684.jpeg
      411.9 KB · Views: 37
    • 9FB22EAD-5351-4C6A-A6C5-0404AF9C258E.jpeg
      9FB22EAD-5351-4C6A-A6C5-0404AF9C258E.jpeg
      304.2 KB · Views: 42
    Has anyone ever put too much oil on a stock?

I belive I have once and caused a chip to come up on it.

Started the process of cleaning varnish off and applying some on a stubby sledge handle yesterday for a sledge I pulled out of a scrap pile at work. Sledge spent three days in evaporust and finally got painted yesterday....unfortunately some jackhoff reached for the flat black on the shelf but got home to find semi gloss in the bag.
    04C14598-77D8-426A-9C6C-1A77BC865C64.jpeg

Last edited:
    Did you oil the stocks as well? Any varnish on there or was it raw wood?

I know the M40 is just raw linseed oil as I had that stock from its au natural state.

The M1A sports a GI stock so I'm assuming RLO on that one originally also.

No varnish.

They have sat now for a few hours and I have wiped any surface oil off with a paper towel......

image.jpg

image.jpg

By tommorow they will be low lustre.

Started the process of cleaning varnish off and applying some on a stubby sledge handle yesterday for a sledge I pulled out of a scrap pile ate work. Sledge spent three days in evaporust and finally got painted yesterday....unfortunately some jackhoff reached for the flat black on the shelf but got home to find semi gloss in the bag.
    View attachment 7278344

Neat work recycling old tools.

Probably better steel in that than if bought Corona China new.

Let's see some spectacular shaft with an oil finish.

I've a few stocks finished in pure ting oil.

Tung oil will get MO' Glossy than Linseed.

I could see it building too much finish perhaps.

Kind of like the skin that will build on a container of linseed left open.

Beauty of oil just rub more on to fix it.

Reactions: Zeroit
    Any body ever use a product called Old West Snake Oil? i use it on my savage99's, and old winchester lever rifles, seems to work well, to my ignorant eyes at least.

Any body ever use a product called Old West Snake Oil? i use it on my savage99's, and old winchester lever rifles, seems to work well, to my ignorant eyes at least.

What's in it.

I avoid anything that has the word "finish" on the label.

If the ingredient list says anything other than "Contains pure tung/linseed oil" than I doubt it will be any better than what I'm using for my purposes.

That's interesting. The wood had to have a defect though, to make that happen. Could you sand it or press it down?

Added:

sea2summit,

I recommend you grind down those anomalies on the faces of your sledge hammer. You want a good flat face. If those come off as chips they can do a lot of damage. If it's just paint, then nevermind.

All the years as a kid splitting wood with wedges, sledges and mauls taught me to knock off the mushroom heads and chips or they'll come flying off there like a bullet. One friend in high school got hit on the inside of the calf and it went to the outside. Another, just after high school took one in the femoral artery. He lived, but man-oh-man to hear his mom tell me how much blood there was, was pretty scary for him.

Last edited: