• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Italian BM59 sniper - info request re optic and mount info

Random Guy

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
Random question: Does anyone know anything about the odd-ball Italian BM59 rifle with a sniper/DMR scope? I have seen a couple of old pics from probably the 1980s or maybe early 1990s of BM59 paratrooper rifles with some sort of sniper/DMR scope set-up. (See pics #1 and #2). However, I have not been able to find out any info (and I don't speak/read Italian to really research this topic). My guess it's likely a 4x (or maybe 6x) fixed scope, but hard to tell from the attached pics. I think it was off-set to allow top-loading via 5-rd charger/striper clips.

At some point in the mid-to-late 1980s it appears that Springfield Armory Inc may have offered an offset scope mount for the BM59 rifles that they imported in that era. I have only seen one such set-up from an old auction of an SAI BM59 paratrooper (see pics #3 and #4). It used the SAI commercial 3-9x "ART IV" scope, but I don't know if the mount was the same as the military version. I have a BM59 project underway (see last pic) and I thought it would be neat to find the proper scope mount for this project. (That said, a BM59 is only a 2.5 to 3 MOA battle rifle, so a 'sniper' version is a bit silly, but wanted to see if anyone on this forum had any info regarding the optic and mount). Any anecdotal info re the scope or mount is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 908
  • IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,029
  • BM59_SAI_scope_mount_left.jpg
    BM59_SAI_scope_mount_left.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 589
  • BM59_SAI_scope_mount_top.jpg
    BM59_SAI_scope_mount_top.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 394
  • BM59_project_parts_spring_2022.jpg
    BM59_project_parts_spring_2022.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Reactions: Shotgunner005
I have an ARTII on an M1A, but I think BuffaloWinter is the go-to here.

I think there is another guy who knows them, but I can't recall who. Doing a search on BM59 probably brings up an old thread.

Cool rifles! Wish I had bought one back in the '80's when noone wanted one. They are spendy today!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I don't believe this was ever an issue item. The scope mount is an S&K. Pic's of the soldiers with the scope may be private purchase. I mounted my own civilian scope on my weapon whie in SF.

S&K Springfield M1 Garand Scope Mount SK-1870
0Reviews​
Our Price: $102.95
Stock Status: In Stock
Product Code: SK-1870

I don't believe this was ever an issue item. The scope mount is an S&K. Pic's of the soldiers with the scope may be private purchase. I mounted my own civilian scope on my weapon while in SF.
Thanks for that info. That makes sense, as the concept of an official 'sniper' or Designated Marksman using a BM59 creates a bit of cognitive dissonance.
So, I'll hunt down the old S&K mount (with I imagine it has some terrible ergonomics). On edit: I found the website and ordered one of those S&K mounts. Probably not the best quality, but that's okay for this project. Just need to figure out what scope to use....

Last edited:
The mystery mount question has been solved, and an S&K mount is on the way...
As a follow-up re the mystery scope in question, upon careful examination of pic #1, I think the reflection pattern of the rear ocular suggests it might be a somewhat flat surface. (see white arrow). If that surmise is correct, it's one of the old Redfield 'Widefield' scopes that were popular in the 1970s-1980s. They made some with a round front objective bell, but with an 'oblong' shaped rear ocular that Redfield claimed provided a 30% wider field of view. To the best of my knowledge, Redfield was the only manufacturer who made scopes with oblong-shaped oculars that were somewhat flat on the top surface.

As for the Italian solider, my guess is that Buffalowinter is correct, it was likely a private purchase Redfield scope, either fixed 4x (see attached pics) or possibly a 3-9x Redfield. These Redfield scopes were fairly popular back in the day, and are pretty easy to find on eBay, in case I want to mimic that rifle for my project. Just a follow-up to close the loop on the odd-ball BM59 scope set-up seen in those two vintage pics that I posted on this thread.

Attachments

• Redfield_4x_widefield_markings.png
    Redfield_4x_widefield_markings.png
    779.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Redfield_4x_widefield_front.png
    Redfield_4x_widefield_front.png
    753.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Redfield_4x_widefield_rear.png
    Redfield_4x_widefield_rear.png
    268.8 KB · Views: 121
  • BM59_scope_cropped_arrow.png
    BM59_scope_cropped_arrow.png