• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision ITAR questions

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
I've done some reading but wanted to hear some opinions. I'm traveling overseas and would like to enjoy some sceneries at night. I understand that I can't bring my gen 3 i2 NVG's overseas, and American made thermals.

Can I bring riflescopes (NF or leupold), or overseas made thermal imagers (pulsar, iray) without issues with the DoS? Would I be able to bring them back home? Thanks in advance.

I am in no way an expect, but my understanding is rifle scopes are likely OK, but thermals you will want to do some research on.

I have thought the same thing. Did a hike in Scotland last Nov. and almost went down the path of getting an Elbit tube sent to someone in the UK. My understanding is once you bring it back from overseas, something like NVG can’t leave again.

You cannot bring your Pulsar or iRay thermals out of the country. They have been inside of US borders and have now been infected with ITAR cooties.

You can bring a Sionyx in/out as that is not ITAR regulated. I *think* there may be an exemption for previous generation i2, which technically Photonis falls under, but may not be exempt.

I have purchased multiple thermal and NV items overseas and leave them at friends and places I frequent so as not to worry about it. All Photonis, iRay, Pulsar, Andres, etc are available in many foreign markets (at better prices to boot).

Last edited:
Reactions: NHPiper
You would be surprised how many things are registered under ITAR, for example just because Photonis tubes are not ITAR, doesn't mean that the housings or mounting system are exempt too. You will need to contact the manufacturers for every single piece of every item you plan to take OCONUS. Or just do what Horta does. Solid chance it is cost effective and time effective to rent or purchase a system overseas. The State Department doesn't fuck around with this kind of stuff.

Reactions: TheHorta
You should also take into account that officials are often not experts or current on changes. So even if legit, even with documentation they may error on the side of caution and treat it as ITAR and let the courts sort it out.

Reactions: TheHorta
You cannot bring your Pulsar or iRay thermals out of the country. They have been inside of US borders and have now been infected with ITAR cooties.

You can bring a Sionyx in/out as that is not ITAR regulated. I *think* there may be an exemption for previous generation i2, which technically Photonis falls under, but may not be exempt.

I have purchased multiple thermal and NV items overseas and leave them at friends and places I frequent so as not to worry about it. All Photonis, iRay, Pulsar, Andres, etc are available in many foreign markets (at better prices to boot).
Ah nice ok. You got any recommendations on any specific manufacturers or dealers to check out that I can buy and keep overseas to avoid ITARitis?

"According to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), importers are required to file an ATF Form 6 to import night vision goggles, and must file an ATF Form 4587 for permit to sell them in the U.S. Please contact the ATF website or at (202) 927-8493." https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/g...rearms-ammunition-and-implements-war/download

You might also call this number,
U.S. State Department Directorate of Defense Trade Controls PM/DTC, Room 1304, SA-1 Washington, DC 20037 (202) 663-1282

Import of NVGs and export of ITAR regulated items are two very different things. I've read through a good amount of ITAR regulations, and even then, if I have a business proposition to export. I have to pay a legal group to begin the paperwork and research before I agree to any kind of deal. Unless you are dying of cancer and to look at stars in Europe is on your bucket list, the answer is no. If you are dying, than who cares if you break ITAR, you won't live to be sentenced.

Reactions: stefan73
Import of NVGs and export of ITAR regulated items are two very different things. I've read through a good amount of ITAR regulations, and even then, if I have a business proposition to export. I have to pay a legal group to begin the paperwork and research before I agree to any kind of deal. Unless you are dying of cancer and to look at stars in Europe is on your bucket list, the answer is no. If you are dying, than who cares if you break ITAR, you won't live to be sentenced.
Exactly, there was the question of maybe picking something up overseas, I believe someone mentioned. The export would be a PITA just like importing.

I am dreaming of a BMP-3 and a T72B3M. Romanians gave me a BTR-90 when I was in Afghanistan for keeping one of their patrols from getting schwacked. If only I could have figured out how to get it to a port and into the US.