• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Items affected by ITAR

gregt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
Australia
Hey guys, I've been trying to find what specific items are regulated to import into the US under the ITAR laws. Would ITAR affect a trigger guard or adjustable butt plate?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg

Re: Items affected by ITAR

Greg, look up "United States Munitions List" and "State Department Directorate of Defense Trade Controls."

As long as you are not receiving any grants from government agencies which report to NATO or are using any proprietary US gov engineering or material science you should be good.

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar_official.html

The laws that should concern a chassis system would be
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/state-laws/29th-edition/

pay special attention to the brady laws. As far as I am concerned a chassis system being a component of a legal target shooting platform is kosher. But things like chassis systems for pistols require a 200 dollar tax and lots of registration. Thats why most FAL or G3,Cetme here stateside that have under a 16" or 406mm barrel all do not have stocks to be classified as a pistol.

plus dont listen to anyone who thinks itar is itr. Worst case its a length of pull adjuster. or an action jig.

I have been trying to find what falls in to ITAR but it's still quite unclear for me. It seems that myus.com does not ship many items that are not restricted by ITAR which is shame because arbor presses and L.E. Wilson dies are really cheap in US but shipping costs are often quite high.

I think that at least these items are not restricted by ITAR but am I right?
  • Reloading equipments
  • Scope mounts
Is there any other obvious item that I export freely from US?

Hi,

I will reply this evening with lots of detail when I get back to office.
Do not pay attention to any documents from any agency unless it is USML Section 121. It is the gospel and overrides anything else from any other entity.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: OG10
Hi,

So getting back to this....

Here is USML Sec 121: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title22-vol1/pdf/CFR-2012-title22-vol1-sec121-1.pdf

1st: The above mention in regards to chassis/stocks NOT needing an export permit is completely wrong. Category 1, subsection H dictates and controls parts such as stocks, etc and is an export license controlled item.
Scope mounts are also controlled by same subsection. Honestly this subsection is viewed as a "catch all" for small and misc parts.

2nd: In regards to reloading equipment it is completely dependent on what the exact product(s) are.

3rd. There are also some "small part" exemptions. Details about the exemption found in 22 CFR 123.17(A)
1541882438859.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: NiemiPT
Thanks for very detailed reply! I’ll have to look that through. I was looking for L.E. Wilson trimmer, dies and arbor press and maybe also neck turning tools.

So definately not ammo parts if it makes any difference.

Category III
(3) Equipment and tooling in paragraph (c) of this category does not include equipment for hand-loading ammunition.

So is it ok to export hand loading tools as I wish? Sorry to be a bit unsure but English is not my native language :)

Hi,

Correct. The reloading equipment you mentioned would not require ITAR export license but it will require the seller/shipper to file the appropriate Department of Commerce paperwork and electronic AES. But all that is simple. The shipper will know the ECCN for the products and the submission is electronic.

Now..to save you on shipping. If you are friends with a local gunshop in Finland that gets products sent over from USA you could piggyback with their shipments.

Edited To Add: Your reloading equipment ECCN is 0B986. You might find it easier for a company to sell you the product if you can provide them with that number while talking with them. That way they can be sure for themselves that an export license is NOT required because some companies do not know or not.
Page 4 of this link provides the information I just provided but in "Official" capacity and not some guy on the internet lol.
https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/f...ions-docs/13-commerce-control-list-index/file

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Thanks Theis! This stuff is gold ? I really own few beers if we meet somewhere someday!

MyUS terms said something about ECCN and AES. I’ll have to check that through but it would be wonderful to collect all that I need bit by bit and send them all to Finland in one packet.

Just let me know when you are in Lapland and lets find hilla as it’s called here in Lapland ?