• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ithaca 37 pump problem

maintyank

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
I have an Ithaca 37 DSPS that won't cycle. I can put one in the tube and 6 in the mag. when I fire the first round and cycle the slide the next round falls out the bottom of the gun. WTF's happening. Will a part fix this.

Re: Ithaca 37 pump problem

If I had to guess it will be part number 85 or 83 in the below diagram:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=686/schematicsdetail/Model_37

load rounds into the magazine tube, turn the gun over and look at the case as you cycle the pump slowly, look to see which of the shell stops the brass contacts first, play with it a little by pushing in on the shell stops from side to side.
Rather than replace them often times you can remove a little of the material that contacts the brass and it will fix the problem, just make sure you remove the material from the right one.
In short one shell stop has been worn and the two are equal for the system to work properly one has to be slightly longer than the other.

After thinking on this some, it also could be as simple as some trash behind one of the shell stops, clean the inside of the action really, really well and see if problem continues.

Buster, I tried to turn the gun upside down and cycle it and it ejected and loaded another round, but I can't see myself walking around with an upside down gun. I'll try to clean it well before I go further, as you suggested. By the way Great quote by Harry T. I'll report back.

If the shells are releasing from the magazine when cycled it is not the shell stops. Sounds like a problem related to the shell lift. The 37 is not simple like an 870 or mossberg, and parts are hard to come by, good luck.