• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Its a bird, its a plane....oh, no...its my F'ing suppressor

Baron23

Check 6
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    May this serve as a cautionary lesson to you folks even though this sad little tale does not reflect at all well on my intelligence. LOL

I had just got my suppressor out of jail after 13 months. It’s an Ultra 7 in 6.5mm. And yes, this is the first suppressor I have owned (or used) in my 70 years of life.

I take the fairly new gun (Altus BA in a JAE) and suppressor to the range today to check zero, eye relief, comb height from prone position as we will be in PA soon for a four day SH clinic with Frank/Marc, blah, blah, blah.

I’m a bit distracted by some other fellas while screwing on my Ultra 7 and didn’t notice that underneath the suppressor the Rifles Only cover’s retention lanyard had gotten between the suppressor and the Area 419 uni adapter shoulder. It didn’t help that it was 104F out (real feel…and yeah, it felt real) and I was shvitzing like a fat man in a Russian bath house. It didn’t seem like the U-7 screwed on enough turns but I took the 419 wrench and gave it a tug, it seemed to be tight. So I dropped down and sent the first shot.

Well, I immediately heard a very loud report, felt a lot of muzzle blast, looked up and there was no suppressor on the end of my gun.

I shot it down range. :eek:

I thought surely I would find it laying on the grass maybe 3-4 yards down range, maximum. It wasn’t there.

This is a 10 bench only range with a berm and 10 backers at 100 yds at the same elevation as the shooting positions and a smaller berm with 5 backers at 50 yards which is maybe 10-12 feet lower than the shooting position/100 yard berm elevation. So, not seeing my suppressor I kept walking toward my 100 yard target on the far left of the range. And kept walking and looking…walking and looking…walking all the way along my POA to my 100 yard target and still no suppressor!! I spent 45 minutes looking everywhere and nada. WTF.

By this point I’m really sweating bullets and panicking a bit….I have to find this NFA item. One, because I def don’t want to do the dance with ATF again on a new suppressor (and yeah, the $1K is a factor there also) and two, because someone will be mowing that grass and eventually find the can…with their blades. No bueno, that. So, I called up to the shotgun range house where my good friend @GBMaryland was RO for the day. And another fella showed up to shoot and was nice enough to help us look…well, since we were downrange and not leaving until we found the suppressor, he really didn’t have much of a choice but he really was quite willing to be helpful and I appreciated it very much

The three of us looked for it for at least an hour; utterly baffled as to why we STILL couldn’t find it on fairly recently mowed grass square range. And, as part of this we did indeed look along the side of the higher vegetation around the sides of the range, sides of the berms, etc., figuring perhaps that thing really did roll all the way downhill to the low point at the 50 yard line and was stopped by vegetation.

The result…..no talley, no joy, no suppressor. 🤯🤬

I’m looking at my search party and can tell that their motivation had waned significantly and they were about to bag it. So, I took one more trip down range toward my 100 yard target and as I’m passing some high vegetation on the left end of the 50 yard berm, on a whim I started kicking and stirring a couple of feet back from the edge and voila’….I finally found it….50 yards down range in some high weeds!! 50 yards in the air. It didn’t roll there…it was in the middle of a patch of high weeds. It FLEW there.

Now, the terrain drops maybe 10-12 feet to the 50 yard line where I found it so it was a minimum of 35 yards total of actual flight path (can’t believe I’m writing flight path and suppressors in the same paragraph LOL).

And, an Ultra-7 with a 419 Hellfire mount weighs 9 7/8 oz. And it flew at least 35 yards horizontal.

Examining it at the range, it looked like I was lucky and just grazed one baffle…so I looked down the bore, it looked all lined up still, there were no cracks or bulges in the tube at all, so I shot a few more rounds with no issues. But, when I got home I put a Teslong bore scope in there and yep…struck every baffle and a bit of the end cap. Very small chips taken out…but nonetheless. So, I took pics, reached out to TBAC on a Sunday evening with my figuring that they will see it the next morning when they come in. Well, TBAC has GREAT customer focus and @Zak Smith replied to me that night and in his opinion the suppressor is fine and will function perfectly….just don’t do it again (sigh..haha). In discussion with TBAC, if I did want it repaired, it would essentially be an almost all new suppressor just with the serial numbered tube retained (and maybe some other bits…but mostly a fork lift upgrade).

Below are five pictures of the baffles going from muzzle end to pic 5 being the end cap. And I hope this little story of woe was at least mildly interesting.

1658794762427.jpeg

1658794779099.jpeg

1658794792448.jpeg

1658794807505.jpeg

1658794818822.jpeg

Launched cans are almost always 50-80 yards out in a 15 degree arc to either side of the shooting direction
    Well damn...and here I thought I had an Olympic long jump champ of a suppressor. Guess not! haha

And apparently this is not an unheard of activity....sending cans airborne that is! haha

Once again...thank you so very much for your very quick and thorough CS response to my inquiry.

Cheers

I want to laugh but that truly sucks!

Good news you didn’t do nearly the damage you could have and the can will be fine.
    It is funny...well, now that its over and all seems to be well. Def not funny out there sweating bullets and baffled as to why we couldn't immediately find it. I guess I should be glad this wasn't on a hunting rifle and I didn't send it out over a gorge in WY....LOL

TBAC would take care of ya as you’ve already seen but I’d be surprised if you could ever tell a lick of difference with that little damage.

If you were gonna do it, that’s the way to do it…

It is funny...well, now that its over and all seems to be well. Def not funny out there sweating bullets and baffled as to why we couldn't immediately find it. I guess I should be glad this wasn't on a hunting rifle and I didn't send it out over a gorge in WY....LOL
    Now that would be funny as hell!!

First round through a nfa item that took over a year to get and round 1 launches it off the edge of a cliff….

Not going to lie I would be rolling on that one!

Holy shit, dude! Glad you finally got it, but man…. What a first outing! What range was this? AGC?

I was at peacemaker a few years back and a fella sent his $85 mirage down the hill on their Frontier range. No way he was finding it. Be glad you didn’t do it there!

I might have seen a few baffle stacks get launched downrange... And yeah, it's a scary feeling when that "BOOOOOOOM!" happens, and you're expecting "PSHHHHHHHH!" And you look up and see just the blast baffle still attached to the rifle. Then you call cold range, and go help them find the tube, which is usually 40-60 yards downrange, and perfectly inline with the shooter's aim. 🤣

• Haha
    Reactions: Baron23
    Glad you finally got it, but man…. What a first outing! What range was this? AGC?
    Ah, it actually wasn't the first shot down the tube on this can. I had it out two times before for maybe 40 rounds down range....but, still...we are talking like within a week or so of getting it.

No, not AGC.....Damascus IWL. Been shooting skeet there for decades and now, older with bad back, its mostly rifle. But its only 100 yards so I do go to Fairfax that goes out to 300.

I intend to make it up to Peacemaker during the week to check it out. I was going to go on Wed but understand that is NOT the quiet day of the week. I'm crabbing with my Chestertown buddy tomorrow...so, maybe Thurs or next week.

What's an $85 mirage???

Reactions: Huskydriver
    Ah, it actually wasn't the first shot down the tube on this can. I had it out two times before for maybe 40 rounds down range....but, still...we are talking like within a week or so of getting it.

No, not AGC.....Damascus IWL. Been shooting skeet there for decades and now, older with bad back, its mostly rifle. But its only 100 yards so I do go to Fairfax that goes out to 300.

I intend to make it up to Peacemaker during the week to check it out. I was going to go on Wed but understand that is NOT the quiet day of the week. I'm crabbing with my Chestertown buddy tomorrow...so, maybe Thurs or next week.

What's an $85 mirage???
    Oh, I was going to say…. Thought it was your first round! Sorry, wife was talking to me as I was trying to read, but trying to look interested in her day……

Yeah, Wednesdays they open Patriot up for 1,000 yards, so it draws a little more people, but it’s never been too bad.

My bad… mirage cover. Again, was trying to pay attention to the wife and type.

Oh, I was going to say…. Thought it was your first round! Sorry, wife was talking to me as I was trying to read, but trying to look interested in her day……

Yeah, Wednesdays they open Patriot up for 1,000 yards, so it draws a little more people, but it’s never been too bad.

My bad… mirage cover. Again, was trying to pay attention to the wife and type.
    $85 mirage cover?? 😲

For $80 I’ll hold a fan while your shooting 😁

Many people us covers made from blinds

What cover were you using? I run Cole-tac with the cord, and secure them like this.
    View attachment 7919725View attachment 7919726
    Hello brother…it’s a Rifles Only cover and it has a retention lanyard very much like that and indeed I had not had any issues w affixing it in place on my prior 2-3 outings w it.

The issue is…well, me. Specifically me trying to hurry and put the can on w the cover only slid back a bit resulting in that lanyard getting caught between the can and the shoulder on the 419 uni adapter on the bottom side and out of sight.

Entirely my fault….just a failure of attention to details.

Get yourself an Armageddon cover
    Nothing wrong w this cover at all and it’s design is pretty much the same as the AG cover. Really, I would have fucked this up the same way w any cover that has a retention lanyard.

Thanks guys. Hope you had a laugh at this, maybe it will be a lesson for another guy new to cans, and even I’m finally laughing about it.

It could easily been far worse.

Glad it wasn't worse and you got it back. Also glad to know about how far they normally go, though I will do my best to keep all of mine on the rifle. This actually seems to happen somewhat often judging by how many we've seen here. It can happen to anyone. The RO at a range I used to frequent left a cleaning rod in his rifle and shot it accidentally. (Which blew up his barrel basically but he didn't get hurt). After I saw that barrel, I tend to open my bolt and look down the barrel and make sure things are secure before I start.

I had a weld failure once on my Omega. The first weld failed, so the entire baffle stack went 60 yards down range during a match. That was the weirdest "THWUMP" I've heard heard or felt from a rifle. And that feeling when you discover what happened is one I remember well.

I was lucky that the shooters in line to shoot the stage behind me saw roughly where the stack landed, but I couldnt see it. But I had to wait 3 hours for the match to finish to go and get it, which was agony. I tried to shoot the rest of it but was so rattled that my scores went to shit. Which wasn't helped by the fact that I had never gathered POI difference or dope without the can. Lesson learned. On the upside, Sico had it re-cored and back to me in under 14 days.

Launched cans are almost always 50-80 yards out in a 15 degree arc to either side of the shooting direction
    tell us how you know? :) and is there an official Mil term.. like when you lose a nuke?

I almost feel like launching a can is a right of passage.

I sent a 9mm can that I didn't mount properly on a 3-Lug down range. First shot.. BAM, can flew down range... and EVERYONE is looking at me. Had to wait for the range to go cold so I could do the walk of shame and get it. Luckily no damage and it only flew about 10 yards, easy to find.

My brother has the distinction of launching two cans down range, neither of which were his fault and both were on different .300 Win Mags. First one was a Hybrid 46 that had a weld failed at the blast baffle, that one nearly knocked his 6’3” 300 lb frame off the bench and got him a couple stitches. Can skipped off the ground 80 yards down range and hit the 100 yard target backer at our local club.

The second was a Nomad Ti that also failed at the first baffle, that one didn’t recoil as much but it shredded the inside of the cover and two baffles flew off when it hit the ground. We were able to find most of the can on the edge of the stream on our range but we weren’t able to find the rest of the baffles.

Reactions: FuhQ and Baron23
    Had shot my new suppressor with smaller calibers no problems. Placed on 7-08 1st firing my friend asked if it was supposed to do that. I looked at the end of the barrel and only had baffle tube Stripped the threads off. Suppressor maker sent me new one in a week. Very apologetic, training new employees. I'll not toss them under the bus because of this, and great customer service. Empty can went35 yards.

May this serve as a cautionary lesson to you folks even though this sad little tale does not reflect at all well on my intelligence. LOL

I had just got my suppressor out of jail after 13 months. It’s an Ultra 7 in 6.5mm. And yes, this is the first suppressor I have owned (or used) in my 70 years of life.

I take the fairly new gun (Altus BA in a JAE) and suppressor to the range today to check zero, eye relief, comb height from prone position as we will be in PA soon for a four day SH clinic with Frank/Marc, blah, blah, blah.

I’m a bit distracted by some other fellas while screwing on my Ultra 7 and didn’t notice that underneath the suppressor the Rifles Only cover’s retention lanyard had gotten between the suppressor and the Area 419 uni adapter shoulder. It didn’t help that it was 104F out (real feel…and yeah, it felt real) and I was shvitzing like a fat man in a Russian bath house. It didn’t seem like the U-7 screwed on enough turns but I took the 419 wrench and gave it a tug, it seemed to be tight. So I dropped down and sent the first shot.

Well, I immediately heard a very loud report, felt a lot of muzzle blast, looked up and there was no suppressor on the end of my gun.

I thought surely I would find it laying on the grass maybe 3-4 yards down range, maximum. It wasn’t there.

This is a 10 bench only range with a berm and 10 backers at 100 yds at the same elevation as the shooting positions and a smaller berm with 5 backers at 50 yards which is maybe 10-12 feet lower than the shooting position/100 yard berm elevation. So, not seeing my suppressor I kept walking toward my 100 yard target on the far left of the range. And kept walking and looking…walking and looking…walking all the way along my POA to my 100 yard target and still no suppressor!! I spent 45 minutes looking everywhere and nada. WTF.

By this point I’m really sweating bullets and panicking a bit….I have to find this NFA item. One, because I def don’t want to do the dance with ATF again on a new suppressor (and yeah, the $1K is a factor there also) and two, because someone will be mowing that grass and eventually find the can…with their blades. No bueno, that. So, I called up to the shotgun range house where my good friend @GBMaryland was RO for the day. And another fella showed up to shoot and was nice enough to help us look…well, since we were downrange and not leaving until we found the suppressor, he really didn’t have much of a choice but he really was quite willing to be helpful and I appreciated it very much

The three of us looked for it for at least an hour; utterly baffled as to why we STILL couldn’t find it on fairly recently mowed grass square range. And, as part of this we did indeed look along the side of the higher vegetation around the sides of the range, sides of the berms, etc., figuring perhaps that thing really did roll all the way downhill to the low point at the 50 yard line and was stopped by vegetation.

I’m looking at my search party and can tell that their motivation had waned significantly and they were about to bag it. So, I took one more trip down range toward my 100 yard target and as I’m passing some high vegetation on the left end of the 50 yard berm, on a whim I started kicking and stirring a couple of feet back from the edge and voila’….I finally found it….50 yards down range in some high weeds!! 50 yards in the air. It didn’t roll there…it was in the middle of a patch of high weeds. It FLEW there.

Now, the terrain drops maybe 10-12 feet to the 50 yard line where I found it so it was a minimum of 35 yards total of actual flight path (can’t believe I’m writing flight path and suppressors in the same paragraph LOL).

And, an Ultra-7 with a 419 Hellfire mount weighs 9 7/8 oz. And it flew at least 35 yards horizontal.

Examining it at the range, it looked like I was lucky and just grazed one baffle…so I looked down the bore, it looked all lined up still, there were no cracks or bulges in the tube at all, so I shot a few more rounds with no issues. But, when I got home I put a Teslong bore scope in there and yep…struck every baffle and a bit of the end cap. Very small chips taken out…but nonetheless. So, I took pics, reached out to TBAC on a Sunday evening with my figuring that they will see it the next morning when they come in. Well, TBAC has GREAT customer focus and @Zak Smith replied to me that night and in his opinion the suppressor is fine and will function perfectly….just don’t do it again (sigh..haha). In discussion with TBAC, if I did want it repaired, it would essentially be an almost all new suppressor just with the serial numbered tube retained (and maybe some other bits…but mostly a fork lift upgrade).

Below are five pictures of the baffles going from muzzle end to pic 5 being the end cap. And I hope this little story of woe was at least mildly interesting.

View attachment 7919666
    View attachment 7919667
    View attachment 7919668
    View attachment 7919669
    View attachment 7919670
    You didnt get to be the 1st one to ever do it. Im also Guilty as Charged.I also got distracted and shot mine of of a AR10 DPMS 308..It flew about 30 yards.I sent it in to SilencerCo and they fixed it up for Free..They said the 1st rebuild is on them.If it happens again I will owe them $$$

View attachment 7919666
    View attachment 7919667
    View attachment 7919668
    View attachment 7919669
    View attachment 7919670
    You didn't take the wind into account for the flight of the suppressor my friend! Seriously though 1) Glad you or anyone else was not hurt; and 2) Glad it wasn't damaged 'too' much.