• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

its getting a little Jiggy out here

BOLTRIPPER

Not Carlos Danger
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2001
Dallas Texas USA
so, i'm in a position where a LOT of bullit launchers pass thru my hands....and in the past week, two new pistols of different manufactures have been blown up due to faulty factory ammo.
one was a squib that bulged the barrel.......and the other was a case separation that cracked the frame.....both were polymer framed pistols.

kinda funny on the Canik some one said it was cheap steel.....NO it was and is good steel, it held together ...referring to the barrel.

Any more info? Was it one brand and caliber of ammo? Why note "polymer framed"? Not trying to imply or flame anyone, just trying to get more info on what happened.

Any more info? Was it one brand and caliber of ammo? Why note "polymer framed"? Not trying to imply or flame anyone, just trying to get more info on what happened.

one was a xd-m sub compact....cracked frame case separation, 9mm factory...don't remember the flavor but guy retained the case pieces in a zip baggie
the canik was a 5" full size also 9mm bulged barrel also factory ammo ....no call on the ammo though, BUT was purchased same day and blown up same day......this was the squib load deal.

no one got hurt in both instances.....

both 9mm.......

Last edited:
Saw some squibs at the last IDPA I attended.
We, me and the RO, stopped this gentleman from testing his pistol's frame/barrel.
Other guy knew enough to stop.
Neither said if it was factory or hand loads.

R

^ Sometimes Tap & Rack is not the correct answer.

Recently, a friend had two failures to fire with factory .45 ACP. Both had sideways primers.

Bolt, you dont know the ammo brands involved? Not too long ago while running one of our ranges, I stopped a shooter mid tap rack bang, after a squib. Winchester ranger 180 gr 40 s&w. Only time that's happened in 10 yrs of being assigned to work range. That works out loosley to about 750k rounds while I was there. The dept as a whole expends about four million rounds annually. I can only remember one time we recalled ammo, and that was remmy golden saber 180 gr., We never got an explanation.

Damaged necks and backwards primers are more the norm, but not common either. Buy quality ammo and inspect it before you jam it in the mag!

sorry no intel on the ammo brand.....i did not REALLY inspect the head separation all that well it being in the zip loc.....the canik bulge barrel had no nothing when it came in