• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It's now official. JTAC Ranch closing

Mike Casselton

Team Beer and Donuts.
Minuteman
  • Nov 25, 2007
    Lithia, FL
    I learned of this recently but decided to wait until the official notice.

Screenshot_20230911_144301_Yahoo Mail.jpg

That's terrible news.

Whatever was there first should have priority. Eminent domain is theft.

The above announcement is the only current thing I've read about this... barring additional information, this has nothing to do with eminent domain.

A landowner should generally have the right to use his land as he sees fit. If a Landowner wants to sign an annual lease & later decides to not renew, that's their right.

At the time JTAC Ranch sought a conditional use permit from Polk County in2017, JTAC Ranch reached an agreement with the land developer that upon the land developer’s initiation of construction JTAC would either apply for a new conditional use permit or terminate operations. In other words, JTAC went into this with their eyes wide open.

Last edited:
    Sorry guys, that sucks. I live in fear that the range I use will shut down at some point.

Just need a few more developments like the Villages, and there won't be anyplace for ya'll to shoot at all. :-(

Reactions: DustBun
    I'm really bummed about this.

I have looked at SWFL range but it doesn't look like they have a remote membership option. I live a ways away and don't get there enough to justify a typical monthly membership. JTAC had the remote precision membership and it worked out well for me, even though I didn't use it as much as I should have.

I hope something else pops up that has steel at intervals up to at least 1000 yards or SWFL range comes up with a remote option. I know Manatee Gun Club is supppsed to get the 1000 yard line back but I doubt they will have steel at various distances (but could be wrong).

Last edited:
    Reactions: DustBun
    Bottom line. Housing projects generate a lot more cash to line people’s pockets with.

As sad as I am to lose this venue, I’m very glad for the time I have been able to shoot there and much more so for the great guys I met there that I’ve developed friendships with.

I’m aware of others trying to create something in central Florida and really hope that it is possible and becomes a reality at some point. In the meantime, I guess I’ll have to start loading my Dan Wesson .357 for long range and challenge myself with ranges past 300 yards where I can. 😁

That's terrible news.

The above announcement is the only current thing I've read about this... barring additional information, this has nothing to do with eminent domain.

A landowner should generally have the right to use his land as he sees fit. If a Landowner wants to sign an annual lease & later decides to not renew, that's their right.

At the time JTAC Ranch sought a conditional use permit from Polk County in2017, JTAC Ranch reached an agreement with the land developer that upon the land developer’s initiation of construction JTAC would either apply for a new conditional use permit or terminate operations. In other words, JTAC went into this with their eyes wide open.
    Well I’m a way it kind of does but in the literal sense. No one took the land. But, it’s kind of like an airport being forced to close because they built to close and people don’t like the noise. Which was there first? Now the landowner taking the land back is another story but fuck the housing development.

The range I use is on private land... Owned by the owner of the range. So, unless they just decide to say "Fuck it!" one day, they'll be around a long time. They're the only FFL/SOT around, and the only semi-public range in 35-50 mile radius. Lots of folks frequent during the non-hunting season and non-football season times, which is great for me, because I'd MUCH rather shoot in the fall/winter/spring when the range is empty and everyone else is hunting, than sweating my ass off just sitting still in the shooting house in the summer, which is about 6 months of Alabama's climate. We only get about 2 months of each of the other 3 seasons. 🤦🏼

Wow, I'm not sure where at least two YT channels will film now. It doesn't surprise me, I never cared for how it was run.

Got my email today. For sure a sucker punch after some goodies came in the mail this morning. Was ready to box them up for returns!!!!

Not giving up yet…
    Lol. Rest assured that you were not alone in second guessing a pending build. I, for one, am not throwing in the towel.

I'm really bummed about this.

I have looked at SWFL range but it doesn't look like they have a remote membership option. I live a ways away and don't get there enough to justify a typical monthly membership. JTAC had the remote precision membership and it worked out well for me, even though I didn't use it as much as I should have.

I hope something else pops up that has steel at intervals up to at least 1000 yards or SWFL range comes up with a remote option. I know Manatee Gun Club is supppsed to get the 1000 yard line back but I doubt they will have steel at various distances (but could be wrong).
    SWFL Range has a pay to play option I believe.

Reactions: reelserious
    So, is this the same as JTAC Industries that builds the Elf Owl rifles and stuff? Hopefully they’ll find a new location to sell from.

Got my email today. For sure a sucker punch after some goodies came in the mail this morning. Was ready to box them up for returns!!!!

Not giving up yet…
    Not giving up either but canceled a CDG and barrel order yesterday. ARC and TS customs gave me no issues in doing so. Great company’s, they were very helpful! Just not the time to add another one regarding the circumstances.

So, is this the same as JTAC Industries that builds the Elf Owl rifles and stuff? Hopefully they’ll find a new location to sell from.
    No, different company. There were no sales at the range and merely a small portable style office.

Not giving up either but canceled a CDG and barrel order yesterday. ARC and TS customs gave me no issues in doing so. Great company’s, they were very helpful! Just not the time to add another one regarding the circumstances.
    Well in your case, you were just duplicating a rifle and not expanding your caliber lineup. Plus, now somebody else anxious to receive their CDG can get it earlier.

Reactions: Schütze
    With this has anyone looked at Ares in Leesburg?

Looks promising. I called yesterday and they have out to 863. No props but we can bring.

I’ve been up there. For the long range, it’s either a membership, or a one day trial membership for like $80, and you need to qualify - 10 in a row on an IPSC at 400. Yes, In a row. You can take a sighter beforehand, I asked 😂

Reactions: xocyrusx
    I’ve been up there. For the long range, it’s either a membership, or a one day trial membership for like $80, and you need to qualify - 10 in a row on an IPSC at 400. Yes, In a row. You can take a sighter beforehand, I asked 😂

Yea the lady yesterday told me the same…. Burning Ammo I guess…. What did you think of the staff and facilities?

SWFL is an option. Nice range with steel to 200-1100 every 100 and a one mile gong. I teach out there through Shoot Center Cape Coral

Reactions: Milf Dots
    SWFL is an option. Nice range with steel to 200-1100 every 100 and a one mile gong. I teach out there through Shoot Center Cape Coral
    Was a member there when living in the Boca area but now in Tampa just a bit too far. Like the ability to drive down range and tend targets.

Yes, but Joel operates his shop about 8 miles west of the range. They are completely separate businesses, so, no issues with the range closing.

Reactions: lash and FuhQ
    Yea the lady yesterday told me the same…. Burning Ammo I guess…. What did you think of the staff and facilities?

The staff was good. The safety video could be a lot shorter. The main range isn’t bad for just banging out to 400.

I’m not a fan of the way the long range is perpendicular to the other ranges. Hopefully they’ve adjusted how you drive out there so you’re not as close to the firing fan. The big thing is it’s more than a 90 minute drive for me, so I wouldn’t make it out enough to merit a membership.

A full size one? OMG!!
    Do they allow you to use a 22LR to qualify? 🤣😉

The staff was good. The safety video could be a lot shorter. The main range isn’t bad for just banging out to 400.

I’m not a fan of the way the long range is perpendicular to the other ranges. Hopefully they’ve adjusted how you drive out there so you’re not as close to the firing fan. The big thing is it’s more than a 90 minute drive for me, so I wouldn’t make it out enough to merit a membership.
    Thanks. It’s just south of 2 hours for me. 30 mins more than JTAC so it is what it is. Going to check it out before committing.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex