• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Its Science Holmes...mounting a can

Silenced America

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2011
Texas
Ok...I will be the first to admit that I like to shoot distance but that does not mean I am any good at it. I have a question to ask, but let me preface it with this: If you heard from a "source" please do not respond. If you have not tested it and know it to be fact, please follow along and learn with me. I learn something everyday, and a lot of it comes from the knowledgable community at SH.

Here goes...I have read a lot of shooters here (whose opinions I have grown to respect) state that a thread-mount can is the only way to go for precision. Then the TOMB style mount. QD, FA, QA, what have you, is ok for carbine, but not for a dedicated precision rig. Can I please see some data? If I was good enough to make consistent hits at a grand+ all day long and get a decent group I would post, but I am a carbine guy (pull trigger go boom grunt). I would like to see some no-shit scientific data from the same host with the three types of cans mounted. I know RollingThunder can explain this, but please dumb it down for us non-scientific types (I need Jr High Science not quantum physics). LL, Ray Dog, Zak, and all of you no-BS precision guys...drop some science on me. Thanks!

Re: Its Science Holmes...mounting a can

My suppressors are all single point thread attachment.

My friends have several of the various QD versions out there; notably the ratchet type AAC(I think?)

My friend was a die hard "suppressors screw up accuracy" guy.

I noted group sizes on his custom built TBA 308 at 100, 300, and 600yd.

Baseline was:
1/3MOA FGMM @ 100yd
1/2MOA FGMM @ 300yd
4" (2/3 MOA) FGMM @ 600yd

The argument that a better shooter could do better is valid, however I wanted to see what would happen with just a suppressor on/off test from the rifle's owner.

With the suppressor on it was

1 MOA @ 100yd
1.5MOA @ 300yd
1.5MOA @ 600yd

The shift was sometimes repeatable, sometimes not. The best groups were routinely found on the "4" thread on the 51t ratchet mount. On the others the groups were double the posted size.

We took the mount off the rifle and shot it.

No suppressor baseline did not change.

With my suppressor cranked on there it showed no group size change, the shift happened but it was entirely repeatable at 100 and 300yd. We didn't get enough time to test with the 600yd burm on the second day.

We ran a bore scope down the suppressor to look for damaged baffles or shaved jacket material that would indicate baffle strikes and did not find any.

I dialed the barrel into the lathe and checked the runout of the mounting surfaces on the muzzle brake/suppressor mount and noted that there was several thousandths of concentricity and angularity runout.

My initial thought was "the guy who installed this screwed up"

I took the mount off and then checked the barrel threads and bore for runout, found none there.

I then checked the mount again for concentricity and found runout between the toleranced surfaces that lined up with the mounting surfaces inside the suppressor.

We pulled a brand new mount out of his bag that had yet to be installed, it was off as well, but only by about half as much (3.5 thou as opposed to the 8 thou on the used mount).

We swapped the mounts and the situation improved, however it was never as good or repeatable as the single point attachment.

Using my 30c suppressor I took my 308 and did the following test:

Thread it, shoot for baseline groups at 100, 300, 600.

All were sub 1/2 MOA except for 600yd. It was 3" for 2 - 5 shot groups.

Attach the suppressor, note the shift, note the index point based upon the suppressor markings.

Shoot groups at 100, 300, 600 again. Note group size --> No change in baseline other than shift.

Check for shift consistency by taking the suppressor off shot to shot.

The group sizes opened up about 1/8th MOA over the previous averages. This could be attributed to suppressor and/or the shooter. Each time I had to take the suppressor off I had to break my cheek weld and move around, there was not the same level of shooting position consistency.

Put the barrel in the lathe, push the sholder back 0.010" and note the index point.

Shoot 100yd group, note the suppressor shift and compare it. The vertical shift was appx cut in half, the horizontal shift appx doubled.

Group size and shot to shot shift were again consistent.

Repeat pushing shoulder back by 0.010"

Horizontal shift was zero now and vertical shift was past zero and in the opposite direction.

Pushed shoulder back to 0.022" to the original clocking position. The zero shift returned to within 1 click (1/4MOA) of the original shift.

At least on my 30c suppressor the shifts were dependent upon the clocking position of the suppressor.

I call the Quick Attach mounts into question because of the thread pre load involved with multi-lead threads and the ratchet stops.

My suspicion is that the suppressors are not being consistently preloaded into the joint on the muzzle tenon and the suppressor is causing shift that varies shot to shot similar to the behavior that Robert Vaughn discusses for shot to shot dispersion due to the barrel/receiver joint destabilizing.

I am not 100% on this and admittedly I have not gotten enough testing time to really make a decision, however what I've seen anecdotally, through the limited testing I mention above, and watching my friend's AAC suppressor have issues I am leaning toward that hypothesis.

That, I can follow. It makes perfect sense to me. I wonder why the same would not be true of a TOMB style mount as a fast attach, according to your hypothesis? I understand that this is one brand of suppressor FA attach V. another brands thread mount. This was my thought process, but I have never attempted to verify. Add an additional variable (the mount) and it is one more thing to cause variation. Thanks for taking the time to post your results!

Bohem, very generous write-up, many thanks.

SA, The only thing I would add is, depending on the brake, there can be very disruptive turbulence as the gas gas jets either hit the, now closed, ports of the brake or from the increase in dwell time (effecting efficient heat pathing.) Your asking the gas to do two very different things, first to reverse direction and go back to "brake", and then (with the can on) go forward, through efficiently to stop heat retention. One or the other will work perfectly, but both, is tough.

But we have to be clear here, some get very repeatable and wholly acceptable results from QD rigs.

RT...thanks. I wasn't reading Mandarin Chinese there. I always hate the description of a brake acting as a "sacrificial blast baffle." The brake is a brake. The blast baffle is a blast baffle. The jet may not may not impact the blast baffle as much do to the redirection of some gas to the closed off brake ports, but WTF is a "sacrificial blast baffle?" And what do I have to sacrifice for this luxary?

RT...let me ask you this: you have seen or agree that it is possible to get equal results with a thread-on can as a FA can as long as the mounting device does not cause disruptive turbulence with the gas jet?

The bullet will to some extent follow the column of air moving through the suppressor bore. So if the suppressor wobbles even slightly that will cause the groups to open slightly.

A great example is a terrible barrel thread on a bolt gun we fired our Checkmate II on. The gun was new to us and I didn't check the thread- it was an error on my part. We were missing the target. When I pulled the bolt, I could see the front cap occluding about 1/3 of the bore (threads were really really bad)- so apparently bullets were riding the column of air and shifting dramatically (this being the only explanation for not striking the front cap). Our baffle system keeps the air flowing even through the can- not diagonal like most rimfire suppressors.

I swapped the snap on suppressor to a Lilja barreled 504T and my shift was about 3/4" straight down at 50 yards and the group was about 1/2" (there was some wind). Shift was fully dependent on alignment.

Another example would be the M110 suppressor from KAC. It slip fits to the barrel pretty snug and has two points of contact- the flash hider and the gas block. Still the suppressor has a reputation for throwing the first couple rounds or one of the first couple rounds a little wild even with a fouled bore (call it maybe 1.5-2MOA). After that the carbon locks the can up tight and the gun shoots ~1MOA.

I've seen that phenomenon, and I've heard multiple snipers describe it to me. One SF shooter complained the MK13 had that issue (5 rounds to get the can to lock up and shoot tight). That KAC suppressor also mounts the same (I think it might share commonality or design with the M110 can.

It's all going to have a relationship to design emphasis. If the guy only cares about accuracy he'll get a thread mount.

If he cares about having a muzzle device and removable can and still wants accuracy he'll get a Surefire or a threaded muzzle device like an OPS suppressor system.

If he cares more about rapidity of attachment than precision he'll get KAC or one of the other brands known to have some wobble like the brand in the post above.

I talked to Doug Olson- the designer of the KAC M4-QD and his opinion on the mounting system was that he wanted a soldier to be able to repair damage in the field with the tools he had- a file on a pocket tool. With threads, or fine ratchet teeth the soldier probably won't be able to do that. Once those features are damaged- it's not just removing a burr- the system is down.

So that was Doug's argument- I think it's a fine argument- and a good fit for the M4QD which is a can for door kickers. The precision application of the system is probably where it doesn't shine quite as bright- but it still gets the job done.

Damn Josh! How did you find time to perform that test? Were you dialing in the barrel with a 4jaw and spider each time?!

Interesting discussion here, I think the most valid test would be identical cans other than attachment type, ie YHM Phantom, or the 30BA vs 30P-1 would be interesting, however Im sure TBAC made sure the 30BA was perfect as well.

Question...Does a QD brake still act as a brake somewhat with the suppressor attached?

I've really been enjoying this thread from the perspective of a machinist, QA inspector and all that happy horse poop.

Problem here is that there are just too many variables.

Just to begin with is the attaching of a suppressor to the host with the same amount of torque to somewhat replicate its last attachment. One must surmise that all mating surfaces are square, parallel and flat. That, within itself, is damned near impossible.

Metal wears, force tends to shape adjoining surfaces differently.

The empirical observation of the repeatabiity of the weapon system staggers the mind . . . the combinations of possibilty and probability are astronomical.

I expected more input...so here is a bump. Where is LL and all of his precision can shooting experience? I know that Ray and Zak have been busy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bullet will to some extent follow the column of air moving through the suppressor bore. So if the suppressor wobbles even slightly that will cause the groups to open slightly.

A great example is a terrible barrel thread on a bolt gun we fired our Checkmate II on. The gun was new to us and I didn't check the thread- it was an error on my part. We were missing the target. When I pulled the bolt, I could see the front cap occluding about 1/3 of the bore (threads were really really bad)- so apparently bullets were riding the column of air and shifting dramatically (this being the only explanation for not striking the front cap). Our baffle system keeps the air flowing even through the can- not diagonal like most rimfire suppressors. </div></div>

WOW. Now that is amazing....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Josh! How did you find time to perform that test? Were you dialing in the barrel with a 4jaw and spider each time?!</div></div>

It was time consuming, I did the test at a friend's house where we could shoot, quite literally, out the shop door to 600yd.

Once the spider/4jaw is setup once and you're working with the same barrel over and over again it can be marked/timed and with careful tool use the re-dial only takes about a minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bullet will to some extent follow the column of air moving through the suppressor bore. So if the suppressor wobbles even slightly that will cause the groups to open slightly.

A great example is a terrible barrel thread on a bolt gun we fired our Checkmate II on. The gun was new to us and I didn't check the thread- it was an error on my part. We were missing the target. When I pulled the bolt, I could see the front cap occluding about 1/3 of the bore (threads were really really bad)- so apparently bullets were riding the column of air and shifting dramatically (this being the only explanation for not striking the front cap). Our baffle system keeps the air flowing even through the can- not diagonal like most rimfire suppressors. </div></div>

WOW. Now that is amazing.... </div></div>

It surprised the hell out of me. All our other shooting was on barrels with good threads and the shot groups were small and the shift small.

But that front cap (and other parts of the baffle system) should have been hit every time, and I'd fired about 20 rounds and there were no strikes or even grazes.

Very interesting reading. Gonna keep track of this thread for followup on thread-on/FA comparisons. I had good results with my 762SD, and hope to duplicate them with the N6 on which I am waiting. I can't help but pine for a quality thread-on, though.

i've got some great footage from 400-1200yds using a thread on... only reason i don't have any using a qd can, is because you'd be bored as hell watching and hearing "no" steel ring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've got some great footage from 400-1200yds using a thread on... only reason i don't have any using a qd can, is because you'd be bored as hell watching and hearing "no" steel ring.</div></div>

What QD can? That's interesting, because even my non-shooting ass can hit a steel silhouette target at a grand using my 762 SD.

so... u can't hit steel @ 1K consistently??? maybe its because your using a qd can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Can I please see some data? If I was good enough to make consistent hits at a grand+ all day long and get a decent group I would post, </div></div>

Or... your having no problem hitting steel @ 1K consistently??? by this post looks like you have no need for a thread on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What QD can? That's interesting, because even my non-shooting ass can hit a steel silhouette target at a grand using my 762 SD. </div></div>

i was referring to the hvt and phantom qd... i'm not shooting @ 30" steel plates or silhouettes , i'm shooting 12" AR-500 @ 1200yds... i'm not saying either are a bad can and both suppress very well, but for precision shooting, i will "not" use em.