• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft It's that time of year. Leaves of three, let them be!

eastexsteve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
I own two farms, and live in a very rural area. As such, I spend a great deal of time everyday in the outdoors. I'm pretty good about working around poison ivy etc. and not coming into direct contact with it. But, every now and then, I unknowingly get a good dose of it. The ingredient in the plant that gives you the incredible histamine reaction is called urushiol. A few people are unaffected by it. But, most will develop an itchy and eventually painful rash within a few days after direct contact with the urushiol. Think of urushiol as a colorless, odorless invisible oil or grease. And, just like when you work on an oily, greasy automobile, you can get that stuff all over you and spread it everywhere until you successfully wash it off with soap and a washcloth. And, if you discover that you have come into direct contact with the plant, you need to wash the areas of contact off within several minutes before it soaks into your skin. Getting the urushiol off of your skin ASAP is key.

So, what if you start to develop a reaction? This will usually take two or three days. The trick is to deal with it early. It will start with a burning, then itching sensation like a patch of dry skin. There are a host of claimed remedies on the market. Some work, and some don't. I get into the stuff often enough over the years that I have developed a method of heading it off before it develops into those painful blisters.

I have found that Vaseline Men's Healing Body & Face Lotion works really well on shutting down the burn and the itch early on. The Equate brand from Walmart works just a good. I apply it often throughout the day. I also incorporate Allegra (fexofenadine) 24 hour antihistamine. For me, this is the best antihistamine for the reaction from the urushiol. I am currently five days into a good dose of poison ivy over several parts of my body, and by incorporating these treatment methods, I have arrested my condition before it developed any painful blisters. It never really itched much, and it looks like it's starting to going away.

Remember, it's not the oozing blisters you can get, but the residual urushiol that you spread around that can give you and others in your household some uncomfortable rashes. Don't ignore direct contact with poison ivy/oak/sumac. If you start getting a burning, itching patch of skin, start treatment immediately. It sends many people to the emergency room annually.

Last edited:
@eastexsteve appreciate the post and your remedies. Good Info!

How do you clean your clothes when you've been in it?

I try to avoid it but occasionally run into it on wildland fires.

Anyone that spends time in the outdoors needs to be able to identify Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac.

Leaves 3 let it be... berries white poisonous site.

Most of my life if I got within 100 feet of the stuff I got it all over my body!!
Ft Hood was a nightmare.
When I found a part of the country without it I moved.

The Japanese used a urushi lacquer as a finish on military gun stocks through WW2.
It is made from the sap of the Kiurushi tree and is virtually pure urushiol.
Although very rare, there have been reports of people allergic to poision oak, ivy, ect having a reaction after sanding on the stocks or from simply handling wood stocked Japanese military weapons.
Urushiol is also found in the shell of cashew nuts and in the skin of mangos.

You can buy soap that helps get the oil off of you if you think you’ve been exposed. I think the brand is Tech-nu. Any strong soap that breaks down oils should work.

You can have it spread days after exposure if you are sensitive enough to it. Those histamines causing the blisters can get carried through your blood stream. If you have another patch of irritated or even just dry skin, that can be enough for those histamines to cause a new patch of blisters.

If you think you got into it wiping down with isopropyl alcohol usually does the trick. I keep a couple bottles with spray heads in the truck for this. We have plenty of it in North Texas.

Like said above cleaning clothes, hot water and a full shot of detergent, with an extra rinse has always done the trick for my clothes.

Damn, poison ivy/oak garbage!

The hunting areas where I am at have that shit from ASL to about 4500ft give or take a couple 100 feet in elevation.

My solution, go higher in elevation! For sure above 6000ft no PO or PI in my AOs.

I would suggest a colder water shower to prevent your skin pours from opening and a healthy wash using Dawn. Do not scrub your skin using cloth etc, you do not want to expose more of the skin to the oils.

Yeah, sounds weird but I have done it before.

In the off change I get an itching, Zanfel is your savior! For me works way better then Technu et al.

Reactions: DIBBS
Wish Ida known some of these remedies before I got in it after taking a dump in the woods a couple years ago. I itched in every crack and crevice in my body’s Southern Hemisphere…. Miserable was an understatement.

I had to take three showers yesterday, two of those were with Dawn dish soap. Dish soap cuts that urushoil where hand soap barely touches it.

Got into poison ivy chasing a couple of our new bulls back onto out property after a tree fell over the fence. Then had to fix said fence wading around in poison ivy. Then I went and cut firewood off of another large tree that had blown over on another part of the ranch. Yep, waded around in poison ivy there too.

I found that once I'm into it that I safely have about two hours to get it off of me. That usually gives me time to finish whatever job I'm doing. Boots stay outside for a week, clothes immediately go into the wash, and then I scrub the hell out of myself with dish soap. Just watch rubbing your eyes!

I really think that 90% of people's problems is not taking a good precautionary shower with the proper soap once they're exposed to the urushoil.

Last edited:
Spent much of my career working all day, every day in southeastern US woods and have had it so bad a couple of times I had to go to emergency room. Steroid shot would knock it out fast and then declining dose of Prednisone for a couple weeks to keep it from flaring back up. I tried everything over the years but washing exposed arms/hands every time I got back to the truck was the best. Soap was good if we had it but plain water out of an ice chest, water cooler, and ultimately a dedicated 5-gal container worked just as well. Also wash asap after touching pants legs, retying boots, etc.

Depending on whose taxonomy you accept, poison ivy/oak are the same/different species. I lean to the same species given you can find both leaf morphs on the same plant. Poison sumac is definitely a separate species, is found in wetter areas, and, for me at least, is a lot worse than ivy/oak.

The relationship to cashews has been mentioned (and same for pistachios). All are in the same family and produce urushiol. If you're hyperallergic, you can also have a reaction if you eat a lot of either.

I was mildly alergic to oak, ivy, sumac and even trumpet creeper when i was younger.
Worse case of poison ivy i ever had i got many years ago on a 4th of July floatdown after crossing a vine covered cypress tree that a storm had blown down across the the river.
As stated above, a few days later it was so bad i had to go to the doc for a 'roid shot to clear it up.
I was in the water for another 2-3 hours after coming into contact with it, so obviously plain water wont wash it off very well.
That was in the late '80's, and ive yet to have another outbreak since.

All you gotta do is grow up a country kid in the woods with no shirt and shorts on.

Play Indiana Jones with the “whips” that are stuck to the trees ONE time.

Haven’t had to worry about any of that shit since.

Reactions: Clob McStrunk
I'm 69 now but when I was maybe 7-10 years old my parents and all of the parents of my friends would put us on a bus together and ship us out to Emma Farm Camp in western PA. This was not one of the high end, chi chi fancy camps. Oh no...not in the late 50's - early 60's. Bunk houses with old WW II army cots and surplus army blankets and all of the bugs, frogs, crayfish, etc you could catch. We loved it.

Upon arrival each year, we ALL immediately got and passed along poison ivy and by day three we were all covered in calamine lotion which, to the best of my recollection, didn't do squat! haha

chicken-pox.jpg

I can rub the stuff all over my body and not have any kind of reaction. I told a kid that when I was a kid and soon wished I'd kept it to myself. That kid said "oh I don't get it either", and rubbed it on the arms like I had just done...... bad news for that kid.. .

It's weird that my mother and my brother would get a terrible case of it just looking at the plant it seemed. I also got absolutely eaten up by mosquitoes when no one else would be bothered. I always assumed those two phenomena were related somehow.

Reactions: 308pirate
I can rub the stuff all over my body and not have any kind of reaction. I told a kid that when I was a kid and soon wished I'd kept it to myself. That kid said "oh I don't get it either", and rubbed it on the arms like I had just done...... bad news for that kid.. .

It's weird that my mother and my brother would get a terrible case of it just looking at the plant it seemed. I also got absolutely eaten up by mosquitoes when no one else would be bothered. I always assumed those two phenomena were related somehow.
I’m in the same boat. I can go to war with poison ivy with a weed eater & get covered in the stuff without getting anything. On the other hand bats follow me around the yard cause that’s were all the Fing mosquitos are.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Wish Ida known some of these remedies before I got in it after taking a dump in the woods a couple years ago. I itched in every crack and crevice in my body’s Southern Hemisphere…. Miserable was an understatement.

You didn't wipe your ass with a leaf, hopefully?

I can rub the stuff all over my body and not have any kind of reaction.
I've encountered Four individuals throughout my life with self described immunity to ivy. All had a common story of eating it.

Did you ever ingest some at any point?

I would contract it every year like clock work. I never had any luck at mitigating it. It was miserable, it would spread everywhere with oozing blisters. I avoided all activity that promoted sweating and was sick of taking prednisone.
After some additional research, I gave in. I began ingesting one tiny spring leaf swallowed whole, annually. This has reduced my sensitivity & reactions to ivy. I have since had summers without reaction. I have also contracted it since, but the reactions were very isolated and if I were aware and avoided scratching or further irritating the affected area, the irritation subsides within a week

THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. YOUR THROAT COULD SWELL SHUT AND YOU'LL DIE

My wife was the opposite of me. If poison ivy was within 100ft she got it.
When we moved into our current house in the woods back in 2012 it became a yuge problem. Add 2 x rescue dogs and it was really bad for her. Urushoil doesn’t really have an expiration date. So dogs run around the yard & then come in the house and brush against a chair, days/weeks later wife sits in chair & get poison ivy all over the back of her legs. It was to the point she wouldn’t touch or pet the dogs.

It was bad, but the tipping point was my fault. One day I was tearing poison Ivey vines out of the fence & some trees. Took a shower after and scrubbed down good I thought. Wifey called me the next day at work & said you Fucker, you got poison all ver me last night. I denied it of coarse. When I got home she lifted her shirt & there it was, a perfect hand print of poison. Caught Red handed took on new meaning. She had to get a steroid shot for that one.

I set out to solve it and found this guy in New Jersey. Not the stereotypical part of Jersey, this is Mid-Shore. Think Dirt tracks & Turkey shoots. Anyway this Doctor had been/is working on a natural poison Ivey vaccine. After a good conversation he agreed to accept my wife into his clinical trial. He first had to test her for sensitivity. IIRC there were 5 levels. He and I thought she should only do the bottom 3, but she insisted to go to 4. That cost her another steroid shot. He said she was tied with one other for the most sensitive he’d ever tested. She got 2 injections a few weeks apart. My wife calls him the witch doctor & her friends thought she was nuts for going along, that was 6 years ago and she’s still GTG.
He thought she might need a booster after 5, but immunity is still holding.
She can now enjoy the dogs. She’s had a few little spots but very mild & not often.

This is the Guy. I also like the fact he was an engineer prior to Med School.
https://www.aasj.com/

Last edited:
I've encountered Four individuals throughout my life with self described immunity to ivy. All had a common story of eating it.

Did you ever ingest some at any point?

I would contract it every year like clock work. I never had any luck at mitigating it. It was miserable, it would spread everywhere with oozing blisters. I avoided all activity that promoted sweating and was sick of taking prednisone.
After some additional research, I gave in. I began ingesting one tiny spring leaf swallowed whole, annually. This has reduced my sensitivity & reactions to ivy. I have since had summers without reaction. I have also contracted it since, but the reactions were very isolated and if I were aware and avoided scratching or further irritating the affected area, the irritation subsides within a week

THIS IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. YOUR THROAT COULD SWELL SHUT AND YOU'LL DIE
No I've never eaten it or done anything to mitigate it. I just never got it as a kid and so once when told "get away from there that's poison ivey", I reached down and picked the leaves off and rubbed it on my arm. I was scolded but then the next day I had zero evidence of anything, and my mom and brother both had it. That's when I became sure. After that I would pull the poison ivy for my mom and my grandmother , and so on.

I'm not kidding when I say I will eat up mosquitoes. As a kid my legs looked like I had chicken pox

Reactions: bigdaddydmd
No I've never eaten it or done anything to mitigate it. I just never got it as a kid and so once when told "get away from there that's poison ivey", I reached down and picked the leaves off and rubbed it on my arm. I was scolded but then the next day I had zero evidence of anything, and my mom and brother both had it. That's when I became sure. After that I would pull the poison ivy for my mom and my grandmother , and so on.

I'm not kidding when I say I will eat up mosquitoes. As a kid my legs looked like I had chicken pox
I'm the polar opposite of you. Mosquitos don't mess with me at all. I can be in a group of folks in the woods and they will get eaten to shit and I just may hear a buzz a few times as they fly by my head as they zero in on the others. I always assumed it had something to do with my blood type. On the flip side I can just look at poison oak/ivy and catch it. Just the oils in the air will do it. Life was rough as a kid when they slash burned the logging sites and clear cuts back in the day. usually ended up with poison ivy in the lungs.

As an adult got it bad enough at Ft Polk they had to medevac me out of a FTX and stick me in the hospital for 2 days. At Ft Benning caught it bad too after coming out of the field and went to sick call at the TMC the next morning. They were aghast that I had it over 90% of my body. Pro tip: Don't do a 16 mile ruck with 90% of your body inflamed with poison ivy. It rubs like shit, your balls aren't happy and I didn't know it at the time, but it dehydrates the crap out of you and I was pretty damn woozy and out of it by the end. Surpised I didn't go down as a heat casualty due to dehydration.

Dawn washes and Tec-Nu may help remove the oils to keep it from getting really bad, but I still have a massive histamine reaction once exposed.

Last edited:
I'm the polar opposite of you. Mosquitos don't mess with me at all. I can be in a group of folks in the woods and they will get eaten to shit and I just may hear a buzz a few times as they fly by my head as they zero in on the others. I always assumed it had something to do with my blood type. On the flip side I can just look at poison oak/ivy and catch it. Just the oils in the air will do it. Life was rough as a kid when they slash burned the logging sites and clear cuts back in the day. usually ended up with poison ivy in the lungs.

As an adult got it bad enough at Ft Polk they had to medevac me out of a FTX and stick me in the hospital for 2 days. At Ft Benning caught it bad too after coming out of the field and went to sick call at the TMC the next morning. They were aghast that I had it over 90% of my body. Pro tip: Don't do a 16 mile ruck with 90% of your body inflamed with poison ivy. It rubs like shit, your balls aren't happy and I didn't know it at the time, but it dehydrates the crap out of you and I was pretty damn woozy and out of it by the end. Surpised I didn't go down as a heat casualty due to dehydration.

Dawn washes and Tec-Nu may help remove the oils to keep it from getting really bad, but I still have a massive histamine reaction once exposed.
That is the polar opposite of me.... I always thought the two phenomena were related but of course I don't really know

That is the polar opposite of me.... I always thought the two phenomena were related but of course I don't really know
I never thought the 2 were related but there may be something to it. The pattern is the same for my wife and I. Mosquitoes fly around her to bite my ass.

I never thought the 2 were related but there may be something to it. The pattern is the same for my wife and I. Mosquitoes fly around her to bite my ass.
Yeah, my brother and I would be out camping or in the woods and he wouldn't have the first big bite, and I would literally get more than a hundred! But, when we'd work in the yard or also in the woods, he would get poison ivy and I never got it. It became a sore spot because after my parents discovered it was really true that I didn't get it, I became the got to, for all poison ivy removal and even for my mothers friends..... of course I'm 40 now, and this was back when parents worked their kids in the yard or whatever else needed doing and the kids didn't get paid or "allowance". We got a roof over our head and a warm bed to sleep in, and food to eat. My parents made good money but didn't ever believe in giving that to me. They believed in hard work and taught me how to do that to, a most useful skill that has served me quite well.

Wife caught me Red handed. I had showered and scrubbed down real good. She was highly allergic.
CCD73BF5-D2B5-41F6-B801-6EF9294C39CD.png

• Wow
Reactions: Mr. Z
As long as we don't make any rash decisions.

Somebody stop me!

I also might add that in the Midwest last year, I was helping my Dad clear brush and some weeds. I never get poison oak or ivy and can’t remember that last time I got it. I’M around it in the Carolinas. In the midwest about this time of year, I was sweating and would rub my forehead with my leather gloves…. Big mistake. A could of weeks later, I‘m getting small water/blood blisters etc… It doesn't go away even after a few months. Go to the Doc and he doesn’t know what it is. Mom cleaning lady in Illinois where I was says I got wild parsnip poisoning…. What????

I look it up and it’s called phyto photo dermatitis and the oils from the parsnip cause infrared burns in the skin… Says it can take two years to resolve its self…. Showed it to my Doc and he’s never seen it before but we live in NC. I use a prescription cream sometimes and while it’s not as bad I still have it 12 months later….

I will never never never whip sweat off my forehead again!

Worry more about walking through some bull nettles here