• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It's time I get into 22... Rifle suggestions por favor

so I just pulled out my good ole R700 that is a righty. I messed around and never thought to ever try that thing as a rigthy. I'm home now but I did some dry firing and I can see why it's always been so awkward for me to shoot that thing to cycle it lol.

I really want a lefty now. I was going to see if I can just get a righty and call this a day with the Tikka.

I think I'll be much happier with a lefty.

so I just pulled out my good ole R700 that is a righty. I messed around and never thought to ever try that thing as a rigthy. I'm home now but I did some dry firing and I can see why it's always been so awkward for me to shoot that thing to cycle it lol.

I really want a lefty now. I was going to see if I can just get a righty and call this a day with the Tikka.

Until you realize you never want to run another righty bolt action again and have to change out your whole stable 😂

Until you realize you never want to run another righty bolt action again and have to change out your whole stable 😂

Luckily I have only 1 bolt rifle that's "precision" oriented. I haven't shot in a while because when I had it blueprinted, I had it reamed for a VERY long 30-06 that I would reload myself to get all the accuracy. She doesn't shoot any other 30-06 too well, and there isn't much (if any) match style 30-06 factory ammo. I just couldn't get too into reloading.

I tried to sell her years ago, but couldn't get anyone to bite. 30-06 isn't really a PRS shooter's dream caliber lol. She's good out to 1000 yards though.

That being said, I'm not too sad if she just becomes heirloom at this point. I'll never get the money I put in it.

so I started to think I can perhaps get a Bergara 300wm go to with this rifle maybe next year in a LH. I don't hunt, but I do like bigger bullets. lol

I was the same way and always used right hand bolt actions. But once I finally bought my first left hand bolt action, I then replaced all of my right handed bolt actions with left hand versions.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
I was the same way and always used right hand bolt actions. But once I finally bought my first left hand bolt action, I then replaced all of my right handed bolt actions with left hand versions.

I think that's how it's gonna be bud.

When I was doing this precision stuff back in 2010, there was no sub moa for 1000 that I recall. You had to build one or get an expensive GAP rifle or something similar.

Now i can get a bergara for 850 dollars and shoot sub moa...

I'll gladly start over at that price.

I shoot LH with a RH CZ 457VPT with Lilja barrel and Timney trigger. I shoot it better than I ever thought possible. I love the CZ platform and there are plenty of accessories for it. I also own a 457 American and a 457 Varmint. I will say that the CZ platform is a great looking gun and built to last a lifetime. I have a lot of money in the VPT at this point well into Vudoo territory. The problem with shooting .22 is you keep spending to try and improve your rig. Money would probably be better spent on ammo and practice.

I just got a CZ 457 Varmit MTR and it shoots incredible, I put a Bushnell MAtch PRo 6x24 30mm scope and even with the cheaper CCI green tag ammo it shot same hole the first 15 rounds out of the box. It is not cheap at $ 800 but well worth it, I have spent good money on Ruger and others and even with swapping barrels out they dont come close.

Greetings, I have a Bergara BMR, Bergara B14r, CZ 457 Pro Varmint, and Savage B-22 SV-SR(large diameter threaded barrel} . My Savage was the least expensive, however is equally as accurate as the others with good ammunition, the bolt run is very smooth, and solid, and comes with a 10 round rotary magazine. I bought an inexpensive($175.00) Boyd's Pro Varmint laminate hardwood stock, to replace the Savage plastic stock, a Beileshi 6x24-50 adjustable objective $49.00 scope(don't laugh), that is amazingly solid, bright, and clear. Savage rifles are very good, with above, and beyond Customer service. Regards

Last edited:
If an accurate and reliable 10/22 interests you. I took a $350 target model sent it to Ct precision for another $250 Randy turned it into a tack driver. It’s been 100% reliable with every ammo even low velocity sub-sonics. I put a Titan stock $165 for better prone ergonomics. If I come across a gently used target model I’ll send it off to Randy for one for my younger son. Your choice but you don’t have stick a ton of expensive aftermarket parts to make a 10/22 shoot really really well. Eley Target shoots 1/4” 5 shot groups at 50yrds about every time CCI standard is really accurate 1/2” or less typically. 10 shot CCI groups and 5 shot Eley Target and Force. I can compete in silhouette matches with ammo from Walmart that’s always available and reasonable not every rifle will do that. The rifle even shoots Augila super extra 3/4” or so at 50yrds now. Have fun

Attachments

• IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 69242032494__26BF3AEB-5E30-452C-9FE2-4F5D1F55BB9E.jpeg
    69242032494__26BF3AEB-5E30-452C-9FE2-4F5D1F55BB9E.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3922.jpeg
    IMG_3922.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3920.jpeg
    IMG_3920.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 18
How long do these 22 barrels last that ease of barrel change is something to consider?

It would be both depending on what I am doing. I'm not much of a bench guy, but I mostly shoot bench lol.

Budget limit is umm... also dependant on how much I want to spend LOL. I would say 600-800. For Tika that's the rifle and a OK scope.

For the Savage it's the rifle, better stock and an OK scope.

CZ in chassis is over my budget unfortunately. I already looked at that.

I can get a Tika for about 500. the CZ (let alone in chassis one) forget about it.
Barrel won’t ever wear out shooting 22

Oh man. So I've been reading and reading here and people have said b14r is the best, then some others say tika is the one to get... and then some say bergara and tika is horrible and cz is the one to get.

My head is spinning. Sounds like I just need to pick the best based on cost and start journey from there. Cz457 pro varmint would be the best cost one....

I'll keep reading everyone's comments and suggestions though. It's opened my eyes. It's been very heplful
They all shoot well and can compete. I don’t see how anyone is bashing any of them. At our matches they’re all being shot and shot well. Much of it comes down to the shooter and how fast one can acquire the target. You don’t beat the gun, you beat the shooter. I have a B14 carbon and love it. Found it used from another shooter at the club and it’s been nothing but reliable. I also liked the fact that it’s R700 and allows for so many options and ease of upgrading, which I’ve done. But as accuracy goes they all shoot very well. It may just come down to the ammo for better accuracy. And of course the shooter.

For the bergara... is the carbon one the one people want, or the regular b14r the one?
I think most go steel barrel. For added weight. Of all the comment both steel and carbon shoot identical. I agree with this based on other shooters at our club. I have the carbon, but I bought my gun used from another shooter. So that’s what it is.

I have a Tikka T1X. I put it in a KRG Bravo, but it is back in the Factory stock, for factory class. The Tikka T1X stock is a good a very good stock.

The Bergara B14R is not a overpriced for what you get. The B14R is a Step Up from factory CZ and T1X, IMO, it have a great stock, you don't have to replace it. and is fully adjustable and aluminum under frame. B14R is a Remington 40x clone, a full size action like a centerfire. The B14R will take any 700 remington trigger. I have Trigger Tech Diamond in both of mine. By the time you replace a stock on a CZ or T1X, you are at or over the cost of the B14R. Both of my B14R run with the Vudoo.s and RimX custom action guns in matches.

CZ has the most after market products, barrels, chassis, etc.

Rimfire can be a deep rabbit hole. You don't want to start with low cost gun and have to replace it later. Get something you can add parts, if you want to.
Good luck
Yep the B14 runs just fine with vudoo and Rimx. Comes down to the shooter.

We have a B14R in carbon. Wife won it in the NRL22 raffle and it is a shooter and a great match for her with the carbon barrel. The only thing I did to it was replace the trigger with a TT Diamond and had it lot tested at Lapua.

It shoots very well, not as good as my RimX/Benchmark barrel but in the rimfire PR game it leaves nothing to be wanted.

I would say (as I have done in many threads) that the Carbon B14R is on average no better or worse than the steel counterpart.

You have one. Run it. Here's the thing nobody says. Nobody runs stock guns at any of these matches for more than a hot minute. The steel B14R get shit bolted to it. You can bolt shit to the Carbon just the same.

And not everyone needs the weight. Not everyone (kids and women especially) wants the max amount of weight possible.

And some people have scopes that are heavy....some don't. Some people have bipods that are heavy....some don't. You can get the weight difference of the steel versus carbon via a dozen other doodads your voluntarily mounting to the gun. Guys even mount full length Arca rails to the factory B14R stock for a wider footprint let alone the weight.

And we haven't even covered gunsmithing hidden weight into the gun (old school).

This rifle is a Carbon. It's not light. But it's not retarded heavy like the dudes with 22-26lb guns. It balances well. It rests on bags well. Functions great. Shoots every bit as good any steel I've encountered.

The real reason to ever tell people not to run a Carbon is cost. If you don't have one already....yeah, save yourself the 100-150 bucks and get the steel. That's your first two bricks of good ammo. But if you already have the carbon....go to town.

Screenshot_20230624_094736_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: MarkCZ and obx22
Barrel won’t ever wear out shooting 22
Once a shooter is in the top 5 against other very good shooters, factory barrel performance, even with top $$$ ammo, often leaves something to be desired. My last match I went 6/6 on a 14” target at 375 yds. My vertical spread with a factory Tikka barrel, even with good ammo, was not sufficient to do that. I use Eley Match and a 12T IBI now.

It is really, really hard to not outgrow the Savage. I owned one (as many of here have), it shot incredible for what it was, mags feed great, etc, but even in FVSR furniture, it just doesn't have a quality feel.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Tikka (which is what I have) or the CZ. Both allow you to upgrade as your shooting evolves, have great barrels and decent triggers. The Tikka has an advantage being roughly built around the T1 footprint, although there can be some issues with bottom metal. The Tikka in a KRG T1 Bravo stock is a spectacular .22 trainer that will hold its value well. As Tikka gobbles up market value being abdicated by American company's inability to offer quality rifles at a fair price, you're going to see more trigger options trickle down, which is the main thing holding it back in comparison to the R700 based platforms such as the Bergara, Vudoo, or RimX. The mags are also well designed at a pretty great price compared to the AICS versions.