• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

itt: a bunch of noob questions; also .22 vs .17

jehan60188

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
so, I almost bought my first rifle- a marlin bolt action, with a thumb hole (i want to say the 917vt)

but, as I was filling out the forms out, I found out it didn't use .22 lr, it used .17 hmr; from what i've heard, that's a superior round (flatter trajectory, higher velocity), however, it's more than twice the cost (per round), and that means I'll shoot less (maybe)

but, it probably means I'll shoot /better/ since accuracy shooting isn't about throwing as much lead as possible down the range

BUT it'll have more recoil (10 times as much?), and I'll probably break/bruise my eye socket on the first round

bottom line- what's a better round to start off with? what round should I begin with that will provide the right mix of elements (fun, challenge, value, a gun that "grows" with my ability (that is, something where for a while the limits on range/accuracy are due to my skill, and not the gun's craftsmanship), etc)

i guess with either one, I'd start at the 25 (50?) yd range, but for sure I'd start out with a scope (because i think they're neat), and in the standing position? (working to knealing, laying down, then bench)
although, i guess the first thing i would do is sight in the scope? there's no break in period with rimfire rifles, right?
can I achieve 1 minute of angle accuracy with <$450 invested in a rifle + scope + mounting equipment?

Re: itt: a bunch of noob questions; also .22 vs .17

Maybe you should try the rimfire section. You'd probably get a better response over there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ascendancy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe you should try the rimfire section. You'd probably get a better response over there. </div></div>

i was thinking that, but I wanted responses more from an "accuracy shooting" perspective than a rimfire perspective
though, i guess in that case, the responses would be "get a .308"?

yah... mods, please close this topic. I'm going to go repost it in the rimfire section

My response wouldn't be get a .308. I started out with a .22 and progressed from there. They're fun to play with, and you can gain a lot of skills with them. I know absolutely nothing about the .17hmr though.