• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I've come across a new/old stock McMillan M1A stock and...

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
I've come across a new McMillan M1A stock from 2015. Currently, my rifle has a walnut stock. What will I need hardware-wise to transfer things over to it? I realize it must be glass bedded but as far as the butt pad and forend cap, etc, I'm not sure what is interchangeable if anything.

Might need different screws to hold the sling and buttplate hardware on.

Glass bedding is a bitch and must be done correctly otherwise you will make your rifle worse, not better.

Clearance around the front ferrule is another one.

Definitely worth doing as its the only way to get an M1A that has acceptable accuracy.

I looked into doing the bedding myself but decided against it. I found a guy in AZ that is an expert in M1A/MacMillan fitting and bedding. I've fiberglass bedded more than a couple bolt action rifles but this thing is a different animal altogether.

Might need different screws to hold the sling and buttplate hardware on.

Glass bedding is a bitch and must be done correctly otherwise you will make your rifle worse, not better.

Clearance around the front ferrule is another one.

Definitely worth doing as its the only way to get an M1A that has acceptable accuracy.