• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I've got my old rem 700 action, a new criteion 300 win mag barrel... how short should I go?

Starvo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2020
Austin, TX
I saw another thread about short magnums, thought I would get some input. I shoot suppressed 100% of the time, and if I didn't have a Rem 700 LA laying around, I would have gone SA and done a 20" 6.8 western or something, but I don't.

I had narrowed it down to 280 AI and 300 WM. https://rifleshooter.com/2013/12/30...rrel-length-change-velocity-a-16-300-win-mag/ shows "not bad" at 20". I don't think I'd want to do anything under 20". Also, something just badass about 300 wm, so I went that route.

It's coming in as a 24" 1:10 twist, light varmint contour. My Hyperion K will sit on this exclusively. How short do I go? For my purposes, I'm thinking 20 or 21.

Any thoughts on stocks? I was thinking McCmillan Game Warden or a comparable manners

——-

Edit: wow I’m dumb. Didn’t realize the bolt faces were different.

I was able to change my order to 280 AI.

Last edited:
Youre pondering two different bolt face diameter chamberings. You have a long action- is it a .540 magnum or standard .473 bolt face diameter?

Edit: wait, you do or do not have the 300 winmag action there. Wait, you say you have a long action laying around, then you say you have a barrel coming in. You didnt order the barrel the way you want it to come? Seems like you went about that backwards.

Cripes, what a convoluted post

Last edited:
do you want it short to be handy, or do you want the extra 75-100fps going 24" versus 20"

if the muzzle is threaded i wouldn't touch it

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylorbok
Youre pondering two different bolt face diameter chamberings. You have a long action- is it a .540 magnum or standard .473 bolt face diameter?

Edit: wait, you do or do not have the 300 winmag action there. Wait, you say you have a long action laying around, then you say you have a barrel coming in. You didnt order the barrel the way you want it to come? Seems like you went about that backwards.

Cripes, what a convoluted post
I am glad I read this!

I changed my order to 280 AI and will see how I like that. Then back it off from there.

Last edited:
As far as barrel length is a concern, I built a 30-06 a few years ago. My thought was a shorter barrel would make it easier to move around with. I had it cut to 20" thinking it would be a nice compromise.
WRONG. Muzzle blast and flash are bad enough that I don't like shooting it. Unburned powder was bad also. Just my opinion, if your going with the 280 / 24" would be minimum...Most of the guys I see with really short barrels are also running supressed.

As far as barrel length is a concern, I built a 30-06 a few years ago. My thought was a shorter barrel would make it easier to move around with. I had it cut to 20" thinking it would be a nice compromise.
WRONG. Muzzle blast and flash are bad enough that I don't like shooting it. Unburned powder was bad also. Just my opinion, if your going with the 280 / 24" would be minimum...Most of the guys I see with really short barrels are also running supressed.
You need to be suppressed too.