• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I've tasted the Hensoldt koolaid...

RADcustom

Registered Coonass
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
And man is it sweet!

After hearing the hype about how great of a scope it is and saving my pennies (lots of pennies), I decided to pull the trigger and get one.

I acquired the 4-16x56 FFP model and I must say, it is every bit the scope others make it out to be.

Most of my other scopes are in the 6.5-20 or 8.5-25 power range, so I was concerned that the 16x would be lacking. To my surprise, I didn't really notice that to be the case. The glass is so phenomenal that the clarity makes up for the difference if magnification and the lower power seems to help lessen the mirage distortion at longer distances.

If you are considering investing in a quality piece of glass, the Hensoldt was definitely worth the stretch to me.

Re: I've tasted the Hensoldt koolaid...

Nice, congrats! I think I'll own one at some point.

Glad you like it RAD....let us know if there is ever anything we can do.

Best Regards,
Austin

I told you so!!

Glad the Hensoldt proved me right
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fanboys.... </div></div>

Hater...

You can't go wrong with a Hensoldt. I find in the CA heat the scope cuts through a great deal of the mirage. I used to have a Premier and I think if the GEN IIXR reticle were to be combined with Hensoldt's ease of sight picture, clarity and compactness you'd have a very versatile scope.

I’m just an Optics Whore and a hunter…<span style="font-style: italic">but</span>…I know good glass. My long range rifle wears the Hensoldt. I’ve had ALL the major makers’ scopes; Hensoldt wins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fanboys....</div></div>

I'll bet a dollar you have at least 1 on your Christmas wish list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fanboys....</div></div>

I'll bet a dollar you have at least 1 on your Christmas wish list. </div></div>

I'm Jewish, motherfucker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm Jewish, motherfucker. </div></div>

Instead of a dreidel, you can ask for a Hensoldt for Hanukkah.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't go wrong with a Hensoldt. I find in the CA heat the scope cuts through a great deal of the mirage. I used to have a Premier and I think if the GEN IIXR reticle were to be combined with Hensoldt's ease of sight picture, clarity and compactness you'd have a very versatile scope.

</div></div>

I would agree. The mil dot is useful, but some sort of division lines would be nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got 3 dreidels. I'm asking for 8 hookers this year. </div></div>

Get 12 and you'll have one for each month. Better yet, get whores they don't charge. Go big or go home.

My apology to the OP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Go big or go home. </div></div>

Words to live by.
smile.gif

No apologies necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fanboys....</div></div>

I'm Jewish, motherfucker. </div></div>

LMFAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL ^^^^

Congrats on getting one!!
laugh.gif

Cheers,
DM </div></div>

DON'T EVEN START......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't go wrong with a Hensoldt. I find in the CA heat the scope cuts through a great deal of the mirage. I used to have a Premier and I think if the GEN IIXR reticle were to be combined with Hensoldt's ease of sight picture, clarity and compactness you'd have a very versatile scope.

</div></div>

I would agree. The mil dot is useful, but some sort of division lines would be nice. </div></div>

NH-1 Reticle baby, I'm liking it.

Hammer,

I traded a S&B straight up for the Hensoldt. Very comperable for sure.

I love it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't go wrong with a Hensoldt. I find in the CA heat the scope cuts through a great deal of the mirage. I used to have a Premier and I think if the GEN IIXR reticle were to be combined with Hensoldt's ease of sight picture, clarity and compactness you'd have a very versatile scope.

</div></div>

I would agree. The mil dot is useful, but some sort of division lines would be nice. </div></div>

NH-1 Reticle baby, I'm liking it. </div></div>

I liked it too, but that would have been even more pennies.
smile.gif

Maybe on the next one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm Jewish, motherfucker. </div></div>

LMFAO. OP congrats on the new scope. A little to rich for my blood! I only a NFS..LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fanboys....</div></div>

Now that the coffee's been wiped off my screen....

I'm Jewish, m***********r.</div></div> That's OK, so was Jesus. He will forgive your sins, just ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Shottist</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That's OK, so was Jesus. He will forgive your sins, just ask. </div></div>

No.

Only on the hide can a drink of koolaid turn into a sermon.

This thread needs a video now....

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ar6xC8KM-jk&p=DA0D665D2B56E902&index=26"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ar6xC8KM-jk&p=DA0D665D2B56E902&index=26" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

RADcustom, glad you liked the scope. i picked up one, and honestly i wasnt much impressed. For the money spent actually i was dissapointed. I ended up trading it in to libertyoptics on 2 of the new IOR ffp's after i purchased my 1st. so now im at IOR-3, Hensoldt-0. it was just toooo far up on the rule of diminishing returns. Hope you enojoy yours though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RADcustom, glad you liked the scope. i picked up one, and honestly i wasnt much impressed. For the money spent actually i was dissapointed. I ended up trading it in to libertyoptics on 2 of the new IOR ffp's after i purchased my 1st. so now im at IOR-3, Hensoldt-0. it was just toooo far up on the rule of diminishing returns. Hope you enojoy yours though! </div></div>

Care to elaborate as opposed to just say that you didnt like it?

Thanks,

Austin Cook

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RADcustom, glad you liked the scope. i picked up one, and honestly i wasnt much impressed. For the money spent actually i was dissapointed. I ended up trading it in to libertyoptics on 2 of the new IOR ffp's after i purchased my 1st. so now im at IOR-3, Hensoldt-0. it was just toooo far up on the rule of diminishing returns. Hope you enojoy yours though!</div></div>

Did you ever mount it up or is this the one that Scott sold recently as NIB never mounted?

Just curious as I am obviously a big fan but am also a believer that a scope has to be mounted and used to get the full appreciation of it. Holding it up and peering through them doesn't do any scope justice, whether it's a counter sniper or a Hensoldt and everything in between.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RADcustom, glad you liked the scope. i picked up one, and honestly i wasnt much impressed. For the money spent actually i was dissapointed. I ended up trading it in to libertyoptics on 2 of the new IOR ffp's after i purchased my 1st. so now im at IOR-3, Hensoldt-0. it was just toooo far up on the rule of diminishing returns. Hope you enojoy yours though! </div></div>

Yeah just like i wasnt impressed with IORs three piece glued togather tubes.but the glass is nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only on the hide can a drink of koolaid turn into a sermon. </div></div>

Just when new guys forget the rules.....

I haven't had my eyeballs through a Hensoldt yet, for the money I think they could have a zero stop. They already fixed the lack of a good reticle, the new one looks like a winner!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luvman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only on the hide can a drink of koolaid turn into a sermon. </div></div>

Just when new guys forget the rules.....

I haven't had my eyeballs through a Hensoldt yet, for the money I think they could have a zero stop. They already fixed the lack of a good reticle, the new one looks like a winner! </div></div>

Steve,

We @ HDC whole heartedly understand where you guys are coming from, but with a bit of fore thought into your mounting option you can come out with a pseudo zero stop.

"Diminishing returns"? Seriously? Can you or anybody else for that matter, really justify the amount of money you spend on your rig. Did you loose a lot of your money when you traded it in? I agree that the initial cost is high on this scope, but how many used ones do you see for sale? When they do show up, they don't last long. My point is, it's an investment, just like the rifle itself. It doesn't bother me to spend money on something to try, knowing if I don't like it for some reason, I can get out of it without much loss.

When I first mounted it on my rifle, I wasn't blown away either. I used it to shoot the Shreveport match and that is when I could see the difference. 95 degree plus temperatures shooting in an open field off the ground with mirage you can with your naked eye and I can still make out my shooter number on the target. I have never looked through an IOR scope, so I can't speak for the quality of glass. I've heard it is nice. What I have also seen is the lists of people who have had to send them back for repair. I'm not knocking IOR, but their reputation prevented me from considering them.

If you want a really great scope to go on your really great rifle, try a Hensoldt and if you don't like it, sell it and buy two IOR's. I've heard it's good to have a spare handy.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't had my eyeballs through a Hensoldt yet, for the money I think they could have a zero stop. They already fixed the lack of a good reticle, the new one looks like a winner! </div></div>

The image is so sharp, it will cut you.
smile.gif

The zero stop wasn't an issue for me at the match, because I never made a full rev, even to a grand. If you do get up there, the line appears to let you know you're in the second rev. I plan on making a base with more MOA to get my zero closer to the bottom to have more use of elevation anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is, it's an investment, just like the rifle itself.</div></div>

You buy rifles as investment??? You'll get better returns using stocks/options and some education in shorting (as everything goes down the drain
smile.gif
) or just investing in real assets...

I DO understand people who buy Hensoldt for business (SWATS, governments etc..:), i will even understand people who buy the best and the most expensive stuff there is just to feel special but i will never ever understand someone who will buy a Hensoldt for investment WTF is your notion of investment??? Buy Hensoldt for 3k today and sell it for 2800$ in five years and feel good about yourself for losing 200$ in 5 years that is not investment thats losing money????---> unless you have "wannabe" sindrome...

I had opportunity to use 6-24x72 and while i do admit scope is great and undoubtedly one of the brightest outthere i will also say that my 300$ Hawke performs absolutely THE SAME up to 1000m (target shooting only mind you).

I bet you are STARVING right about now! Atone on!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I had opportunity to use 6-24x72 and while i do admit scope is great and undoubtedly one of the brightest outthere i will also say that my 300$ Hawke performs absolutely THE SAME up to 1000m (target shooting only mind you). </div></div>

ahh, no. Your magical Hawke does not perform the same. It's delusional to suggest it does.
Do you have much experience with Optics and shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I haven't had my eyeballs through a Hensoldt yet, for the money I think they could have a zero stop. They already fixed the lack of a good reticle, the new one looks like a winner! </div></div>

Steve,

We @ HDC whole heartedly understand where you guys are coming from, but with a bit of fore thought into your mounting option you can come out with a pseudo zero stop. </div></div>

Very true and a very good point. I personally like resettable regadless of mounting, as I have a tendency to shuffle applications and gear gets switched from one setup to another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is, it's an investment, just like the rifle itself.</div></div>

You buy rifles as investment??? You'll get better returns using stocks/options and some education in shorting (as everything goes down the drain
smile.gif

I DO understand people who buy Hensoldt for business (SWATS, governments etc..:), i will even understand people who buy the best and the most expensive stuff there is just to feel special but i will never ever understand someone who will buy a Hensoldt for investment WTF is your notion of investment??? Buy Hensoldt for 3k today and sell it for 2800$ in five years and feel good about yourself for losing 200$ in 5 years that is not investment thats losing money????---> unless you have "wannabe" sindrome...

I had opportunity to use 6-24x72 and while i do admit scope is great and undoubtedly one of the brightest outthere i will also say that my 300$ Hawke performs absolutely THE SAME up to 1000m (target shooting only mind you). </div></div>

Clearly, you have not been keeping up with the US economy lately.

I've never tried it, but I doubt a rolled up stock certificate would make a good scope. Then again, you use a Hawke.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point is, it's an investment, just like the rifle itself.</div></div>

smile.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">I had opportunity to use 6-24x72 and while i do admit scope is great and undoubtedly one of the brightest outthere i will also say that my 300$ Hawke performs absolutely THE SAME up to 1000m</span> (target shooting only mind you). </div></div>

Oh jesus, er, I mean Yahweh... here we go

smile.gif

wow......jut wow.......

this one just went epic......

IF YOU took time to read...but YOU don't...

For my type of shooting (getting rifle from the safe to car to shooting range and shooting 80% < 300m and sometimes up to a 1000y) hawke is more than enough, it tracks, it displays image so i can see the target and so far it works ( I NEVER said it's for everyone let alone hard use or that glass is spectacular - as i allready said in several hawke threads). You can smirk all you want but the fact is even a 300$ scope if built correctly WILL WORK and difference in NORMAL conditions will not be that great (as some of you preach it to be)...

Did i say Hawke is in the same ballpark as Hensoldt? NO
Did i say Hensoldt is piece of shit? NO
What i DID SAY is that for some shooters 300$ scope is more than enough AND that buying a scope as investment is bullcrap. So cool off your jets and relax your favorite koolaid still tastes sweet...

smile.gif

Um.. Perhaps to some people the cost of raising a child to the tune of $1,000,000+ on average is not a very good return on investment either. It is very nice to hear that your scope works for you, but perhaps some of us enjoy what they get out of their choices of rifles and scopes in terms of satisfaction and performance that makes the money spent what could be considered a "worthy investment." I would hate to think of myself as being afflicted with "wannabe syndrome" because of money spent on what works for me and makes me happy. I have no doubt that many many people get better results and have greater skill then me with less. I agree some people spend money on useless stuff and not enough time actually using it but it seems kinda foolish to bash folks as having made an unwise investment for spending money on something they consider worthwhile.