• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ivey Adjustable Base with Sightron SIII on 6.5 CM

newageroman

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2018
www.brassbucket.net
Morning all, I just ordered an Ivey base, something I've been drooling over for years. I just converted a bunch of unopened pokemon cards from 99 into some scope money so the ELR thing is on. Any thoughts opinions/experiences on the Ivey - please share. roast or toast IDC.

My range has 1250 max, I have shot 1k there before, but never made it to the 1250 plate. 1 mile with my own equipment ammo is the eventual goal.
I have a RAP 6,5 CM that has like 2500 rounds down it and will be the host. I normally shoot 130 bergers at 2900 for long range stuff. I don't have any more of those to load so will have to be 140 Match Burners for now.

I'm %90 set on the scope which is Sightrons SIII 10-50. This way the glass $$$ is spent ONLY on Glass and Turrets, none of the other do-dad BS. It's only a 30mm tube compared to the other bigger tube scopes. I don't have much wind at my range, but if I use the Ivey for primary elevation it should keep me able to stay in the center of the scope and have windage I need, or I can dial wind if needed some.

So that is the plan, thoughts?
I called Ivey this morning and they said they ran about 300 units last year. Perhaps I'm missing something here, but it seems this thing might open a lot of ELR doors for those that have half way decent scope already but just need more elevation.

One last thought - I currently have a 20MOA base on the RAP, should I just leave it on for a total of 220MOA? I think I'll take it of and put the flat base on so the numbers will be easeier.

So, take a giant step back.

You’re trying to reach ~1250yd with 6.5 Creedmoor. Doable:
  • That requires 13-15mrad of elevation dialing depending on altitude/BC/velocity/etc.
  • That requires accounting for an unknown amount of winds aloft
  • You will need to be able to accurately translate puffs of dirt into clicks and holdovers
That’s not too hard at all, but you’re proposing a super complicated way of doing it with lots of ways to fail, mechanically/user/both. In general, you don’t want complexity in your scope base, unless you’re the 0.001% of shooters who really need it.
  • Get a scope with 25mrad+ travel and a first focal plane reticle, tree recommended, MRAD recommended. I can go on for days, but long story short SFP is super suboptimal if you want to account for wind at zoom levels other than the one the reticle is designed around, and lighting means you’ll need to change zoom frequently. Higher than ~20x zoom means you will often not be using all of it. There are *tons* of excellent options.
  • Keep the 20moa base.
  • Just get decent rings (I like ARC), an Audere or Spuhr mouth, whatever.
Depending on budget for best optical quality while retaining first focal plane MRAD tree reticle, durability and reliability, and personally really liking illumination, I might recommend the following scopes instead:
  • ~$1000: Brownells MPO 3-18x50 (5-25 not ideal based on limited elevation dialing, but would technically work, probably)
  • ~$1200: Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-29x56
  • ~$1700: Tract ELR 4.5-30x56
  • ~$3600: Zero Compromise 5-27x56
  • ~$4500: Tangent Theta 5-25x56

Reactions: Harman117
My 2 Cents.....

I have a Sightron 10-50X SFP MOA (have had it for a few years) and its a great scope for the cash. I have the MOA-2 reticle with the fine dot in the centre (which I love) and have taken it to 1000 with my 6.5CM with ease.

For comparison I have a NF 7-35X ATACR FFP MIL which is also a fantastic scope and certainly has more features than the Sightron (Zero stop, more adjustment, 34mm tube etc etc), the glass on the ATACR is better but the Sightron is still pretty good. One place the ATACR does have an edge is cutting through mirage but I have read that is a component of better quality glass.

For F Class type shooting it would be a tough call, if shooting groups I find I do better when on higher magnification (I frequently run at 50X) and the I like the super fine dot of the SFP Sightron but the ATACR has better glass and can cut through mirage better if that is an issue.

Any complication in the base would be negated by using holdovers instead of using dials on the scope - no? so that's a wash IMO.
I'm looking for more magnification that the scopes you mentioned. I see more value in high mag paired with the adjustable base than limiting the base with 30x max scope.

I can already (fairly) accurately do all the LR stuff you mentioned. I have no interest in FFP scope for this rifle. I'm a data nerd. I know my dope, I have custom dope cards laminated for each ammo I make. I don't need FFP just to convert inches to clicks I already know how to do that. The FFP blocks the view on high mag which is the main purpose of this rifle and thus the FFP is out.

Cardboard:
Thanks for the first hand notes. I have a month to make the final decision so we will see. I'm leaning to the MOA-2 reticle as well and no illumination.

Any complication in the base would be negated by using holdovers instead of using dials on the scope - no? so that's a wash IMO.
I'm looking for more magnification that the scopes you mentioned. I see more value in high mag paired with the adjustable base than limiting the base with 30x max scope.

I can already (fairly) accurately do all the LR stuff you mentioned. I have no interest in FFP scope for this rifle. I'm a data nerd. I know my dope, I have custom dope cards laminated for each ammo I make. I don't need FFP just to convert inches to clicks I already know how to do that. The FFP blocks the view on high mag which is the main purpose of this rifle and thus the FFP is out.

Cardboard:
Thanks for the first hand notes. I have a month to make the final decision so we will see. I'm leaning to the MOA-2 reticle as well and no illumination.

Good call - my scope is the illuminated version and I honestly cant remember the last time I turned it on.