• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ivey adjustable scope base?

I have several Ivey Mounts...They are really good well built mounts and the owner Steve Ivey is a great guy. I have had to make one simple modification to make their repeatability totally solid...After the mod, they’re 100% good to go.

Please PM me for that modification and we’ll talk on the phone about it.

Thanks

Reactions: Sightlok
Thank you for replying. If I do end up going with the Ivey Mount, I will take you up on your offer. First I have to decide how much I'm going to be able to shoot 2500-3000 yards and if it's worth the investment.
Thanks again!
Karle

Here’s the modification by George Banke at Mirage ULR Azle TX

Attachments

• 54F384AB-F2C8-4138-AB00-86B7E59B7987.png
    54F384AB-F2C8-4138-AB00-86B7E59B7987.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 200
If you have some machining ability/tools this is what to do...

The bottom screw stays tight....loosen and tighten the top screw when the Ivey is set where you want it in the added silver guide cutout slot. It will not be able to move when it’s all locked down, when modified like this.

Take your Ivey mount-Lock it-set it down or if it’s mounted push down on it while locked-it will collapse with your weight while locked because it’s just maintaining position by an internal spring that will move up and down, but is positive pressure tension in the up position. You have to have it solidly clamped so it cannot move with recoil and it will with a heavy recoiling calibers such as .338 or above.

If you have some machining ability/tools this is what to do...

The bottom screw stays tight....loosen and tighten the top screw when the Ivey is set where you want it in the added silver guide cutout slot. It will not be able to move when it’s all locked down, when modified like this.
I saw one of these at the range last week looked pretty neat. Are you saying from the factory it's not good to go and needs to have modifications done to it? It will not stay put unless mods are done?

They are very well built units but can move after locked down because they are held in place by a spring and under heavy recoil can shift. That’s why you add the tab on the side to eliminate that potential movement.

You can push down on the scope while locked and move the scope without this modification

I have several of the Ivey Mounts and like them…

I definitely prefer/require a mount to be rock solid and generally the Ivey’s are but occasionally a round can intermittently wonder under heavy recoil without the discussed modification (this can send one down a rabbit hole to determine why). I’m just pointing out the potentiality of shift without an additional lockdown insurance modification.

To be clear…Without a modification added…With the Ivey locked down and the rifle with bipod resting firmly on the ground…Put your hand on top of the Scope, firmly/smoothly push down and the Scope will push through the spring tension and allow movement to a bottom out past the added MOA/MILS added. For myself, any movement leaves “the potential” (not always), for unwanted/unexpected shift from that movement. Even if the spring was incredibly stiff, you could potentially experience a potential shift in POI.

Totally eliminating that potential is what makes the well made Ivey more solid without question or wondering if it could have been caused by that.
Mounts that are adjustable are inherently difficult to solve POI shift consistency. I hope I’ve explained? I’m in no way trying to badmouth Ivey’s, on the contrary, I really like mine and recommend them. This modification just helps with my confidence that any POI shift is me (as usual) and not the mount.

Speaking on the original post from cschastain2, although several years old many shooters are reading this thread and I would like to address the issue and the circumstances resulting in the "diy" modification. The bottom line is this is not required and the current system in use has a much stronger tension lock and has been tested and improved for repeatability on heavy recoiling rifles. The Ivey scope mount models were in a transition from 50MIL/175MOA to the 60MIL/200MOA version along with the addition of a 40mm mount for the heavy IOR scope (which I believe is the model in the picture, 40mm). The tension locking spring for the 50MIL was originally used on the 60MIL was not strong enough but changed to a 30% stronger tension across all models as a direct result of addressing cschastin2's repeatability problem . There were only 5 units 40mm that went out with that issue, 2 were taken back and had the new stronger tension lock installed. The three remaining are these mounts in the post and can still be returned for the OEM tension lock replacement which resolves the issue and allows full use of the adjustable scope mount.

For further details of the tension lock visit www.iveyshooting-elr.com under FAQ tab

That’s outstanding news…I like those Ivey Mounts and they’re excellent folks to deal with.

Our modification was just an additional precaution to an otherwise great adjustable mount. Glad to see their modification!

I understand at the time the bolted block modification was necessary to make it work, the responsibility was on us to make a permanent OEM solution though (such is the evolution of improvement)........... however, I was not aware of this post until a few months ago, but did remember messaging back and forth at the time. Offer is still on the table for the original mounts you have if you want send to send one or all back in?

I used one on my 375CT and never had a issue. The repeatability was spot on the only reason I went to the NF Prism was I had a hard time with moving the head position when dialing in 20 plus mils. Over all very good product and customer support was great. Ivey shooting was a pleasure to deal with.