• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IWB Holster Advice

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
Gents, I've got a Taurus PT140 and looking for a comfortable IWB holster for concealed carry. There's not a whole lot out there like for the Glocks or Smiths, but I did find a couple and wanted to see if any of you had tried them. The first that seems interesting is the Super Tuck from Crossbreed. It's different, but seems like a worthy design. Check out the video too. Crossbreed Holsters
Next is a C-TAC holster: C-TAC
And third is a DeSantis: DeSantis

If you have experience with others, let me know. I'm just looking for something that is comfortable on a strong side draw and doesn't print the weapon (at least minimally).

Re: IWB Holster Advice

Take a look at Andrews Custom Leather...I ran into the same problem for my CZ's.

I've used comp-tac and crossbreed both, love them both. I have tried a bushel basket full of different kinds and brands of holsters over the last 30 or more years. An IWB takes some getting used to but I haven't found anything yet more comfortable than my comp-tac. I'm probably more used to the comp-tac than the crossbreed since I've carried with it for several years and will continue to do so.
JH

Milt Sparks Versa Max II or Summer special is all I have ever used . I have owned others but always wound up going back to Uncle Milt's holsters . If you have a bit of patience they will build one just for you for whatever pistol you would like .

Crossbreed is the only one that I have experience with, but it is amazingly comfortable and I hardly even notice that it is there. I have had friends who know that I am wearing it say that the print is minimal, even when wearing just a t-shirt over it.

They also have great customer service, offer an NRA and military discount, and if I remember correctly, they give you two weeks to try it out and if you don't like it, they will buy it back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawgunner2001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have and will continue to recommend the MacDaniel II holster from Andrew's Custom Leather.

I've carried a Glock 19 in one of these holsters for going on 9 years now. Very comfy.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

</div></div>

+1 I have one for my 1911 and its awsome.

I have a Galco Royal guard for my Glock 19. May not be available for your taurus.

I also have a Kramer and they will make one for your Taurus. There have been some other good suggestions also. If you have to order one especially for your gun, don't be surprised if you have to wait a couple of months. Custom holster makers are usually backed up.

Kramer makes pretty good holster but it take a few months. If you want a belt holster, look at secret squirrel holster Exotic and great fit.

I have the comptac M-tac which is essentially the same thing as the c-tac but with more leather to stop the gun from rubbing against you. I love it and use it every day. It is very comfortabl and I can wear it on my 5 hour drive home with no problem!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: briggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Galco Royal guard for my Glock 19. May not be available for your taurus.
</div></div>

+1... I use a Galco Royal Guard for a Glock 21 also.

Thanks for all the inputs guys. This was really helpful. After looking at all the different options, there were a couple of other things that I took into consideration.
1. Being able to tuck my shirt in while wearing it was important. This ruled out some of those suggested.

2. I really didn't want to wait months to get this thing. A few more of the higher end leather holsters were eliminated.

3. Cost was considered, but wasn't the highest priority.

After looking at all the options, it seems the CompTac MTAC, Bladetech UCH and Crossbreed Super Tuck fit what I really want - comfort, little to no print, adjustability and reasonable cost. I think of the 3 I'm going to order the MTAC. It's definitely not the prettiest, but seems to do the job well. I'll have to let you all know when I receive it.

I went through several IWB before I came across Tucker Gunleather. Since I purchased a Texas Heritage it easily became my everyday IWB holster. Quality is topnotch but the trick is in the attachment of the belt clips. They allow the holster to swing a little as you sit stand bend over etc. so you are not constantly getting poked by your carry piece. They also tuck very easily.

Good luck in your search, Craig

I just went to order an MTAC and found that they don't make one for the PT140. CTAC fits, but I like the idea of the leather for comfort. Seems odd that they don't make the MTAC to fit it, since they are very close in design. Maybe I'll give them a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gents, I've got a Taurus PT140 and looking for a comfortable IWB holster for concealed carry. There's not a whole lot out there like for the Glocks or Smiths, but I did find a couple and wanted to see if any of you had tried them. The first that seems interesting is the Super Tuck from Crossbreed. It's different, but seems like a worthy design. Check out the video too. Crossbreed Holsters
Next is a C-TAC holster: C-TAC
And third is a DeSantis: DeSantis

If you have experience with others, let me know. I'm just looking for something that is comfortable on a strong side draw and doesn't print the weapon (at least minimally).
</div></div>

I'm biased because I have and do own several of theirs.
Crossbreed is the way to go if you don't want the kydex on both sides of the firearm. That said, there's one important thing to note about a lot of IWB products....if they don't cover the entire muzzle, you'll get heavier wear on your clothing that must be accomodated by a slightly larger waist/leg. I tend to wear loose or relaxed fit anyway, so it doesn't impact me, but others have noted the uncovered muzzle tip is something they don't care for (yet they still buy the Crossbreed).

The uncovered muzzle can be corrected by an extra piece of leather mounted over the kydex and muzzle, then attached to the actual leather portion of the holster. Simple fix. You could always ask if they have any scrap leather that you could attach or see if they would attach it to the holster for you.

I suggest you check out this guy:
Eric Barber
www.barberleatherworks.com

He came well recommended on another forum. The photos of his work look good, comparable with Milt Sparks, price is comparable also. Lead time was 4 weeks vs 26 weeks from MS.
I ordered a VMII from MS about a month ago, and a tuckable IWB from Eric about 2 weeks ago for the same pistol (Sig sp2340).

I still think the c-tac will work great for the criteria you have in mind. I find it even more comfortable than the crossbreed. As I stated above it may be because I've used it much longer. The only beef I have with the crossbreed is the leather hits me at the hip joint area when I sit down. I'm sure I could trim it a little and make it work just fine but so far I haven't just because my c-tac is so comfortable. It rides well, conceals well, bends with you due to the location of the belt loops, it's tuckable and isn't too expensive.
All though YMMV.

JH

+1 on the Sparks Versa max 2. Not the cheapest or quickest to get but well worth the wait. I might suggest a high ride belt holster as a more comfortable option? IWB holsters (on me anyway) require a larger pant and belt size to be somewhat comfortable. I usually carry either my duty Glock or personal .45 springfield in wilson sharkskin belt holsters.As this is much more comfy for my build.(6' 210lbs)

1. Get a Galco.
2. Order a Milt Sparks.
3. Keep Galco for backup when Sparks arrives, or sell it.

i would also highly recommend barber i had him make one for my G21SF and its great along with quick shipping. he also now makes belts, owb holsters, mag holders,and tuck-able iwb holsters as well.

Ted Blocker makes a great IWB Holster. Spring steel reinforced to help keep shape when those pants get tight.

Check out Highnoon Holsters. A lot of models for a lot of different weapons. A little pricey and took 4 to 5 weeks but they are custom built to the gun, by the order.

Ray

I have the crossbread. Wore it at Christmas with jeans and a t-shirt and no one noticed I was carrying. If they would have I would have heard about it. I have an officers 1911 btw. They are the only IWB holster I would EVER own now.

Good luck,
Merritt
USMC SGT vet.

Another huge +1 for Tucker. I've got a Silent Thunder STX for my glock 33 and its by far the best holster I've ever owned...bar none!! Its kydex on the outside and leather lined on the inside. They make standard Silent Thunder holsters for a lot of different pistols, however, I think the STX model is only available for 1911's, Glocks, and XD's right now. Give Rob and the guys a call and they'll hook you up with some good stuff that'll last forever. Very highly recommended!!

Chad

Tucker is great, VMII is great, I had a CTAC and liked it until I got my Mtac and never looked back much more comfy than the CTAC.

There are a lot of great holsters out there and a lot of guys making top quality ones now. It does not take long for them though to get a large backorder wait if they do really good work. Sadly it's still kind of trial and error by the individual. You can narrow it down with the high quality stuff, but even then body type and such can make one version much more suitable/comfy than another. The plus side is that if you buy high quality holsters you can get your money out of them.

Someone else mentioned it but the biggest issue with IWB is that you find a combo of holster ride height, design, etc. that so for your barrel length and preferred carry angle/position that you don't have the barrel or end of the holster hitting you in the hip joint. That will make for a very uncomfy experience after an hour or so, and even worse if you have to do any amount of sitting. I had that problem with the CTAC for a glock 27, never got a good position that didn't put the barrel and end of the holster into my hip.

Crossbreed's my favorite by far. I've got a CTAC IWB as well, and an Allessi, and have tried Milt Sparks, but that flat leather against my side is just more comfortable.

I was suprised at folks who tried both the CTAC and the Crossbreed and liked the CTAC best.

Makes me think you're gonna end up with a drawer full of holsters before you find THE ONE. But hey, holster guys gotta make a livin' too.

Good Luck

i am on board with the milt sparks versa max2. i know it is a long wait, but some things are worth waiting for. you can try ebay, someone is always peddling one there, you might get lucky and find one for your application. also, a friend is using a crossbreed holster with a glock 19 and loves it. he even is able to tuck his shirt in with it, i personally am not sold on the crossbreed though.

On a side note. I loved my Milt Sparks VM2. Keep in mind you have to change the belt loops for clips in order to tuck a shirt. It also does not do as good of a job tucked as it does untucked.

It is a great holster but does not offer the ease/option of going tucked or untucked without some compromises.

I have spent a ton of cash on holsters...Milt Sparks Versa Max II is a great holster, but check out Raven Concealment, they aren't pretty, but what a great holster.

+1 on the Comp-Tac MTac.

I'm a big fan of the Comp-Tac holsters. I've got an MTac & an Infidel for my XD-45 Compact.

The MTac is comfortable & stable. I wear it all day long & forget it is there.

The Infidel has a smaller profile & is easy to take on & off. I'll use this on a road trip & either stick it under my leg or in the glove box. I also keep the XD in the Infidel on the nightstand.

Crossbreed Supertuck. So comfortable you will forget you are even wearing it.

I have the Comp-Tac MTAC. Owned lots of IWB holsters, but got tired of the shifting. Bought an MTAC for a 5" XD liked it so much I bought an MTAC for my 1911`s. Sold or gave away all the other holsters. Sold a XXXXXX because the MTAC is much more comphy. The ability to adjust the holster up, down, and cant is priceless.

Sorta High Jacking here, but, didn't want to start another thread!

Anybody using one of the above mentioned holsters for a Kahr P40?

I just got one (Kahr) for off duty stuff and to go shopping with family and such. Not an everyday carry holster! More like a slip it on and go out for a while.

Looking really hard at the Comp-tac Infidel & 2 O'Clock w/ "J" Hook or the BladeTech IWB - Looked at the Nano from BT and it is not made for Kahr.

Any other ideas for my situation.

The MTAC and Crossbreed are just a little too large in material for what I want.

Looked at Bear Claw or something like that but the business seems to be done!

Thanks

It is on the high side but my money goes to Matt Del Fatti. Had it on the last road trip I was on 1283 miles 23.5 hours stright no problems, how many people would be willing to even try that with IWB. That was a 5" 1911, the guy that asked me to go on the trip never knew I even had it on. I will say if you get a IWB make sure you get a GOOD gun belt, it makes a differance.

I ordered a TT Gunleather IWB Slim with sharkskin trim for the Kahr and a Stronghold Pheonix IWB for my G22.

Waiting for the Stronghold - any day now!

IWB Slim - 26 to 28 weeks!